Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new website

My new website, A Fellalker in East Anglia, has opened. It's fairly basic at the moment, and not everything works, but eventually I will have fairly comprehensive lists of mountains, photos, routes and trips from the Lake District and Wales.

So nothing new, but it has the added benefit of a weblog that I'll be updating several times per week. It's replacing my old blog that died recently at the ripe old age of 2. :-(

Take a look around, and enjoy the photos I've added so far!

(Note to Guy, if you read this: I hope you don't mind me putting a thumbnail to the Gable cam in the sidebar. You'd already given me permission to use it in my other site, but I've now removed it from there and put it in the new one. I hope that's okay!)

Very nice start, Alex )

A lot of the links are broken in the Lake District mountain list ( pity cos I was enjoying reading them.

Tis very good, keep it going.

Looks good to me Alex. I noticed the broken links in the mountain list too. I guess this is just cos it's 'work in progress'.

Good selection of photos.

Nice one.

P.S. I noticed a bit in the text where a paragraph begins "A Wainwright..." which might be a bit confusing - some might think it means a person who was a wainwright! Might be better to put 'Alfred Wainwright' or just 'Wainwright'.

"Might be better to put 'Alfred Wainwright' or just 'Wainwright'."

You could be right there ... I recall my brother sounded very confused when I first mentioned A. Wainwright. "What's a wainwright?" ...

Nice to hear some good feedback!

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Great start Alex, keep it clean, simple, consistant and effective like it is now and you'll get people back again and again.

I love looking at photo's and stories from other peoples trips, its great when your sat at work or wishing you were on the hills!

Thanks for the link too and I have returned the favour and added you to the links section on the side of my site!

Thanks!

Thanks very much, Jamie!

Pleeeease tell me that Angelfire is only a temporary webhost. The first thing that greeted me was a bloody fullscreen popup ad for AOL. A huge popup for anything is bad enough but AOL... Were AF responsible for the other commercial banners too?.

I don't mean to sound harsh but, as they say, you never get a second chance to make a first impression, and I've seen other sites with good content that put people off straight away with this sort of thing, and many never return. There is nowt for free, and the price you pay is that they poison your HTML and annoy the hell out of your readers. It also gives the impression, true or not, that the author is more interested in making a fast buck from the ads than the content, which would have to be outstanding to counteract it.

The same thing applies to the guestbook hosted by Bravenet, they are even worse for in-yer-face ads. The email address field in the guestbook is plain text, and nobody with any sense would fill it in:- Bravenet will harvest it and bombard your readers with spam (how do you think they fund the service?).

I hate to see it start on the wrong foot, a decent webhost is cheap these days. Your own domain would be a good idea too and would be constant, independent of the webhost.

Regards
    GeoffC

Yes, Angelfire is temporary at the moment ... but I had absolutely no idea there were any popup ads! I've certainly never seen any ... certainly not a fullscreen ad for AOL. Very strange.

It's possible that a cookie has been stored on my computer so that *I* don't see the ads, but everyone else does. I shall have to investigate further.

As for Bravenet, I've quickly become annoyed with them due to the spam emails they send me, so I think I'll be removing the guestbook pretty soon.

Yeah. I got a window for AO Hell and some other grotty stuff (

Me too - before your site had loaded, a full screen AOL ad was polluting my eyes.

‹bermensch tdave@walkeryri.org.uk's Avatar
    Yep, mee too... whopper of an AOL screen that hid behind my main screen.

OTOH, excellent start for a new site, looking forward to see what walks you put in for Snowdonia.

And BTW, around £30 can get you decent hosting for a year plus few quid for a domain name.

OT:-

Michael S - did you get the email I sent via the internal OM facility?. Just wondering if it got through.
    Regards

Ultra King Jamie @ www.trekkingbritain.com's Avatar
    Consider the free content and hours and hours of time taken over a website....

Then consider how many seconds it takes you to simply click on an x to close a pop up? ( sorry to sound annoyed on this but it does annoy me when people stress about web adverts, they seem to forget there getting all the information for free, and that the likes of us amatuer webmasters put a lot of hard work in too )

However as Dave says you can get a cheap bit of space and domain these days. I pay £31 a year for about a gig of space and the domain.

Right ... seems that I am being conned by Angelfire! I'll get myself a proper domain as soon as possible. Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Alex please feel free to use the webcam and if you want a .co.uk domain name for 1.99 a year I can sort and will throw some free domain space in as well for good measure ( maybe one little non pop up wasdaleweb advert ......only joking) just shout its yours if you want it.

That's really kind of you! I've sent you an email.

Mini Goon
    Alex, you might want to try switching to a content management system and also switch to a different host.

I had no experience whatsoever at writing websites before I came up with my site and the CMS (Mambo server) made it very simple.

Have a look at what you can do at

Mini Goon

and my link didn't work (how do you do it?)

Site address is http://www.geohikes.co.uk