Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking Route - Western Edge - The Peak District

A cracking route choice this week Dave - up there with the best the Peak has to offer. I've enjoyed that route and some variants on numerous occasions but, I have to say, so far I've carried neither rope nor slings - have I been going irresponsibly under-equipped?

;-)

lmao Matt. Sorry for the mix up, unfortunately the tech peopple down in London didn't realise this was a walking route week so loaded it on the scramble template lol. Should be sorted very soon.

Glad you like the route Matt, I was gouing to propose it for this years pre-Christmas OM route. Last year we did the Mam Tor Ridge then back via Cavedale.

Sounds good to me Dave

"this years pre-Christmas OM route" - at risk of asking the bl**ding obvious, so what's that then? (I only came to the Forum bit of OM in early '05 so missed whatever you've been up to before then). But if it's what I think it probably is then I'll be up for it if at all pos.

Matt it's just a one day meet where we all go out together for a walk. Last year there were about 20 of us. We pick the Peak for its central location.

Can you book the snow again please Dave, Preferably more than last year so we are walking on a decent covering, but not too much so the roads are clear.

Not that I ask much or anything:-)

I'll do my best Judith but have already prebooked the snow for the winter courses in Feb/march so can't guarantee an earlier lot too ;-)

What!!!! You mean you don't have ordering powers with mother nature?

Can you book enough snow to make it a grand ski-tour too? And when is it. No, don't tell me - "some time pre-Christmas"!

No dates yet Matt, but usually the last weekend before christmas or the one before that

‹bermensch Nearly Normal Polar Bear's Avatar
    Make it the Sunday and I'll probably be on. This route should be particularly enticing to anyone who liked Alan Garner's fantasy novels as a kid (Weirdstone of Brisingamen in particular, it's all set round there).

I'm not the only person to have read those books then.

Spelt it right, didn't I!

Alderley Edge, where the books are set is about 10 miles from Shuttlingsloe, and is my daily dog walk area. It was my father who introduced Alan to the area in the 1950s, and as a result I know most, if not all, of the places mentioned in the book - from the Iron gates to the Wizard's Well. An amazing place geologically as well as scenically. The hill itself was mined for copper ores for over 1000 years, and some of the mines still have amazing surface deposits in bright blue and green. One of the mines is opened twice a year to the public.

Ah, you're whetting my appetite Dave! Garner is/was a class children's author IMHO and I would like to see those places.

Sam, I'll find out the dates the mines are open next year and you can come up and have a look

‹bermensch
    As others have already said it's a cracking area for walking.

My favourite route so far is to start from Errwood Hall in the Goyt valley. From there it's straight up and over to the Cat & Fiddle. Turn right and then left past a farm and out to Macclesfield Forest and Shutlingsloe. From there drop down to the pub for LUNCH! After that I quite often head out to 3 Shires Head before picking up the track back to the Cat & Fiddle. Last time I tried out the tea room just along the road. Amazing place. From there its back up to Shining Tor and along the ridge to the road. From there you have several choices to take you back down to the car park just below Errwood Hall. So its a figure 8 walk.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the dates to be announced as I'm planning on being up there for the weekend before Xmas anyway.

Spot on Corporal - let's hear it for the Peak View tea room! Fantastic cake AND an open fire (don't get the table right in front though). Far preferable to the C&F.

There's also "Nice Nosh" at the Macclesfield Forest Car Park at Trentabank Reservoir - one of the local produce outlets funded by Peak Park and the EEC. I assume "drop down to the pub for LUNCH" means The Crag Inn - another fine hostelry

Sounds like we're on a winner with this as a pre xmas walk

Dave, can you let met know when the mines are open too please. I've been fascinated with Alan Garner's books from an early age.

They still make good reading when you're off ill. His and Arthur Ransome books always seem to make it to my bedside at those times. Surely I can't be the only person to resort to childhood favourites when the flu strikes;-)