Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Women and safety

Sympathise with the sore head, mine's still throbbing. Hangovers were never like this when I was younger.

I would go for a walk but my frission of apprehension has developed into a real fear that I may bump into Hugh and get a good talking to about having ideas above my station.

Must stop thinking about such serious matters, I'm only a feeble woman after all. Oooh another tremor of nervousness coming on, hand me those smelling salts.

Ptc, regarding, Slipknot, Slayer or Venom logo, the answer is no it?s none of them.
    Iv only used Osprey, and Berghaus stuff my self. LOL **Emm these acronyms are the nuts IMHO***

BTW I liked the Venom bit afterwards.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    'Hugh' - good troll, 10/10

I was having another think about this. I think there is always a danger of "advice" sounding patronising if it's coming from a man but it's directed at women.

I agree with everyone who said that any general safety information or whatever should not be gender specific. But I was also thinking, if Hugh wants to reassure nervous people, regardless of sex, it might be more convincing if he included a section in his book that was written by a woman who could draw upon personal experience. It wouldn't need to be dressed up in any way; just her genuine opinions. And looking through this thread, he'd find no shortage of canditates who could write it.

Mini Goon
    surely, Hugh Westacott Troll would do better to advise women (or anyone) of a nervous disposition who interprets benign males in the countryside as a threat needs to go do a course to change their own outlook. reading a section on what men should so that they others won't perceive a threat isn't really going to help anyone very quickly.
    learn to interpret body language, or go do an assertiveness course or something.

Mini Goon
    this is what i meant to say -

"reading a section on what men should do so that others won't perceive a threat isn't really going to help anyone very quickly"

I have never been "routinely harrassed by men", Im feeling very left out.

That?s because you?ve never met me! Ill harass anyone regardless of race, gender or disability equally, but hey I ?m just that sort of guy.

Peter. The Hugh Westacott who posed the original question on this thread isn't a troll at all. I know this because I've written to Hugh a few times in the past and have just emailed him now about this thread.

Mini Goon
    yeah, i figured that he was either completely real or an exceptionally talented troll all the way through or that someone else hijacked the later hugh westacott intervention in this thread.

All very interesting.

Personally I think that the wording in Hugh's book could be changed simply to "do not go around attacking women... or anyone else for that matter"

There. Job done.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    If Hugh isn't a troll, then I think his replies are rather rude. He asked for opinions, and, when those opinions weren't agreeable, he got all uppity about it. And this is after many of the contributions gave positive and constructive suggestions.

He then followed it up with a diatribe about how I should be hand-wringingly remorseful for something perpertated by people who happened to live, two hundred years ago, in the same country as I do now, or, by 50% chance, are the same same as I am.

I will only feel ashamed for things I am responsible for; my own actions or inaction.

I still feel that the best approach is to recognize that there is a risk, as in all aspects of life, but that this risk is negligible, compared to the risks posed by slips, trips, falls, hypothermia, etc. and that it is better to allay disproportionate fear than to encourage it.

People need to get risks into perspective; something that is quite difficult, considering press hysteria, and attitudes such as Hugh's. 3500 people are killed on the roads each year, including 300 children, but where are the massive press campaigns warning of the dangers of this, or calls for drivers to be hounded to death?

Right, I'll get back to my lowly station again, not being a professional walk leader, author, or female. I'm sorry I spoke.

‹bermensch
    ? Can't imagine anyone having better knowledge and more pride and understanding of his culture. Hugh is a magnificent, charming man.?

Elaine Koza and Gerald Decelles, Manchester CT, England Coast to Coast

http://www.wildernesstravel.com/itin...tml#departures

(and follow "Hugh Westacott" hyperlink from "Leaders" column - I think it must be a rather old photo though)

Yeah I looked at this site too Marcus and just to confirm I am NOT that Elaine :-)

‹bermensch
    Aww, and there I was thinking you were a fan!

Is anyone else like me and eagerly anticipating Hugh's next outpouring? I wonder what he thinks of Alan Hinkes, or 4x4's, or red socks, or.....

I just hoped I could change his mind:-)

I worked for CAB for a while and there were some men and women who gave up their time to train to work as volunteers but despite their good will, commitment and enthusiasm for helping others they were entirely unsuitable for the work. I was involved in training and the way it worked was to just keep on challenging their attitudes on prejudices and put forward other ways of looking at things. Sometimes they realised that they were being sexist, patronising, judgemental... or whatever and change occurred - that was very rewarding. Sometimes their views were so entrenched and their minds so closed that they decided that the organisation was not for them and they disappeared, that was a ?successful outcome too.

This thread has reminded me of that :-)

I have thoroughly enjoyed this discussion over the past few days which has stirred up so many emotions. Apart from Hugh, we all seem to be in agreement. I am disappointed that after starting such a heated debate he quickly said " I am now disconnecting myself from the thread".

Goon
    red socks run if put in with white thongs and make em pink Marcus.

‹bermensch
    I know, I had the same problem with red thongs and white socks.

Maybe we could swap, and then we'd each have a matching set?

Goon
    ok will wait by THE stile tommorow for exchange!