Page 53 of 6262 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455631031535531053 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 125232

Thread: OM mini-meet on Bennachie

It'll be a while before we get to 2000, but yes, good effort everyone! )

oot - I think splitting the group would be a good idea. You could have say three groups doing different Munros. It can get a bit crowded on the ridges and I wouldn't like to be confronted on some narrow ridge by 10 going the opposite way.

However you would be very fortuante to have a week of sun (I have twice) and those who didn't get views or even get up the In Pin may be a bit annoyed. I think Frank and yourself would have to ensure that those OMers attending were aware of the problems with a large group on the Cuillin ridge/In Pin.

Slainte.

Lindsay - What you're saying makes sense. It's still some time away until we go, but you've given me some food for thought. Might still quiz you later on about guides etc.

Cheers.

Happy Choppers Dick- safe journey home! Hopefully the weather will be kind to you for the trip.

Oot- glad you Guys had a great time. Gordon's pics look great. If you and Dick are going out for a midweek excursion, give me a shout. I can get out mid week in a couple of weeks time.

I can confirm the grim weather out west at the weekend, couldn't see many tops due to low cloud, walked up into Coire mhic Fearachir on Bein Eighe, saw the triple buttress when the mist cleared- magnificent. Did find a bit of aircraft wreckage, but just a wee bit. Had a really amazing experience stood next to the waterfall at the edge of the coire. The wind was blowing the water back up the waterfall, so we stood leaning into the wind getting an extra shower (like we weren't wet enough already! lol). It was fun, but the drying room in the bunkhouse was rubbish, so our stuff wasn't very dry on sunday. Serves me right for going west!

Yup Lindsay- you were certainly earning your money the hard way this weekend.

On the plus side, I now own a plush pair of winter overtrousers thanks to Mountain Supplies in Aviemore.... and a hammered credit card (sale bargain, justifiable homicide etc. Will be useful for walking in snow & the winter skills course....)

I'm going to have to sit down and read up on the geology stuff - oh for a PC in my room again!

Oot- I have had several recommendations for a guide on Skye. I was planning to do my assault on the Inn Pin with him. I'd be happy to go with an OM group though.

Hi Folks
    Last weekend walks can be found on my webiste at Walks or with some photos at Blog

I am still trying to work out how to download my photographs as a slide show to my web side.

Lindsay, you just need some sound effects, I can just imagine crawling along that ridge, clinging on with my finger tips with the wind and rain howling around me. So glad the lady in question is up for more - in less wind

Flaff, I remember that waterfall but I didn?t stand so close to the edge and the water was flowing downwards the day I was there The quartzite on the tops and the scree slopes looked like snow glistening in the sunshine. We passed a couple of young lads on their way up and later watched them leaping about on the top - made us really happy just to watch them. What a beautiful area. Were you staying at the Kinlochewe bunk house?

Oot, sounds like you are rapidly becoming a ?geology bore?, are your colleagues starting to avoid you yet? Some advice from one who can bore the pants off anyone who dares to mention rocks in my company. Anything to do with glaciation is fairly safe I think, most people can relate to that. Dinosaurs and volcanoes usually capture the imagination. But the joys of pipe rock and evidence of ancient fossil worm burrows? that may be pushing it. Just watch out for when their eyes start to glaze over and throw in something about - these rocks travelled from as far away as Inverness and powerful earth movements piled them up like a pack of cards. If there?s no reaction, you?ll know you?ve lost them Have you started growing a beard yet?

Lindsay - Back to Drumochter, if I may....

I'm thinking that the first part will be fairly easy until I reach An Dun. It's after that where I think the problems will start. As you say, camping around the loch or the Sronphadruig Lodge looks pretty straight forward.

Going from A'Chaoirnich along the boundary line to Leathad an Taobhain looks a bit wet and boggy I'm thinking. Don't even mention Beinn Bhreac! I've done it before and the peat hags are a nightmare, so I'm missing that one out alltogether.

Do you think I could make it from An Dun to Carn Ealar in a day, bearing in mind I'll have a heavy rucksack? I don't think so to be honest.

After An Sgarsoch I don't think I should have too many problems to Carn Bhac.

Read the latest reports from your site. Good stuff. The first photo of Leven looks pretty wild!

LOL... they glaze over before I even get near them Elaine! Mind you, they did that before ;o)

No, no beard yet. Think I'll become a rebel geologist and NOT grow one! And I WILL wear my shoes in hotels!

Cheers for the info Flaff. It's a long way off, so I'm not worrying too much about Skye yet. Besides, Frank might come up with something.

Sounds like you had an adventurous weekend I'd have rather been in the West btw, but OM must come first!

Mid-week walks depend on Dick really. So we'll have to wait and see what he says.

Regarding the In-Pin, we did after a week of poor weather, when all the guided groups were going for it on the same day.

There were 24 people + guides trying to climb it at the same time! Two large guided groups had jointed up, so that two guides were trying to get 16 clients up and over.

Given that one of their ropes wasn't long enough for the belay, the scene was like something from a Keystone Cops movie.

One of the guides in question (arguably the most well known on Skye's) should have have known better.

David - I presume your talking about the leader of the MRT team there?

Lindsay - I couldn't possibly comment!! ;-)

It certainly wasn't our guide (Mike Lates) who was horrified ("just the sort of thing that gives Skye guides a bad name") and very relieved that there weren't any 'Mainland' guides present to witness the chaos.

The MRT Team Leader apparently just pulls them up the steep side according to my information. However it appears that this suits Munro Baggars as they don't have to climb the In Pin. Touch the top and be dropped down. Ah well it takes all sorts.

I recommend to my clients George Yeomans of 'Guiding on Skye'. Although I have never met the chap my clients have always been pleased with his skills, knowledge and ability to get them to the top.

I'm led to believe that the MRT leader's 'people skills' are also not the best.

Can't keep up? Too bad.

Oot - back to Drumochter as you say:

I'm glad you think it will be fairly easy till you reach An Dun but there is definately fence posts to follow if you are coming from Carn na Caim, but for how far I don't know.

What about if you camped at the north end of Loch an Duin and left your tent to go up A'Chaoirnich and return to it later or are a masochist and need to take the tent to the summit as well?

If you left the tent you could collect it after bagging the Corbett and head north to beyond Loch Bhrodainn and then the path up the side of Allt Gharbh Ghaig beyond the waterfalls.

You then cross the Minigaig path and this is where it is covered in peat hags as you head towards Beinn Bhreac. However staying on the boundary line you might be lucky as it tends to keep to the highest ground and may assist with navigation.

Beyond the 845 Point the terrain wasn't as bad if my memory serves me right.

It seems a long day so may be worth taking two days and camping west of the waterfalls near the path junction.

Worth maybe creating a new post to see if any other Omers have crossed this wild part of the country. Maybe Cameron or Chris Townsend who occasionally look in might have been across here.

Is this a winter expedition?

Any more questions just post.

Yes David that was suggested to me as well but as you say cant say too much or I might land up in some kind of trouble.

Cheers Lindsay, I'll get back to you later about the details.

Winter expedition? I'm not sure yet. Winter possibly, but not with snow. It'll be hard enough as it is! Means I'd have to do it this year I guess, but I've already got so much other stuff planned! Oh, I dunno

BUT, I'm determined to do it at some point.

Might wait on starting a new thread until I know when I've definitely got time.

David and Lindsay - At least I know which guides to avoid now! Thanks for the info.

Lindsay- I was warned off the MRT guide by a few people.....

Oot- The west fine fun, it's just a shame the weather was so crap! I think camping would have been a misery though, it was very wet and windy. The waterfall shower was fun though. Plain daft fun. The Guys reckoned that I may be slow, but at least I was game after that one (mind you, my penchant for ME gear may also have something to do with it as well). I still have to do the Lochnagar round, and it would have been a good weekend to do it. Maybe this year, if not, next year definitely.

As to midweeks with Dick, I'll keep my ears on. I have had more additions to my timetable but hopefully we can work something out. I'm just hoping I can make some more weekend meets over winter.

Elaine- we didn't need to stand that close to the edge to enjoy the bracing exfoliation effects of the Allt Coire Mhic Fhearachir waterfall. I can imagine your sunny day there.... must have been stunning. Our day on Liatach certainly was.