Thread: Talkback: Week's Best New Gear Round-Up [20]

Widdler
    Have to admit, when this first came into our stores I was a little worried it might be too complex for customers. They're selling really well and I really like it's concept of saving battery ect.

I suspect any confusion was caused by the marketing reinvention of chemical reactions and physics as to how batteries work.

That's the kindest way to call a misleading marketing effort "bollocks" as I've ever seen. There really should be an award for such generosity. Hat off to you for your verbal skills, Sir, and scientific awareness and integrity.

Whoever is in charge of the headlight marketing department at Coleman needs to be directed to Ohms Law, then sacked as being unfit for purpose.

If anyone wants to get maximum battery life for the primary purpose of illumination of a headlight, they should get a model with a simple mechanical switch that has to do no more than interrupt the electrical completion of the circuit in entirety. This will surely be what pulling the Coleman unit apart does. Whether the battery is is physical contact with terminals or not is then irrelevant if a mechanical switch interrupts the connection to all current-using components.

Without a mechanical switch, the over-complication of "hand-waving" sensor circuitry may remain connected to the battery even in the supposed "off" condition. This continually draws power from the battery and depletes capacity that would otherwise be available for illumination purposes.

It really is time that "the Kings new clothes" principle was shown as being applied to these high-tech headlamp designs and marketing distractions, and consumers stopped being suckered by it.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

"If anyone wants to get maximum battery life for the primary purpose of illumination of a headlight, they should get a model with a simple mechanical switch that has to do no more than interrupt the electrical completion of the circuit in entirety."

Well, a headlight with both mechanical and electronic switches*...

Mechanical to reduce the 'off' current from microamp region to zero (apart from battery self-discharge), and electronic regulation when on, to allow the power to be controlled to prevent the usual "very bright at first, then fading as the battery discharges" brightness profile. I'd say it sounds like a solution to the wrong problem; a decent regulation circuit should be possible to implement and take a sub-microamp current; on a par with the self-discharge rate.

* I think the "patent pending Coleman BatteryLockâ?˘ technology" is normally called 'a switch'. And, with the hand torch, with rotating head to engage the 'lock', it sounds awfully like a Maglite. Patent pending, maybe. Patent granted... hmmm...