Thread: I Was Reading This Article Online About Pre-Hike Hydration.

http://sectionhiker.com/winter-hiking-and-dehydration/

I guess if you were going to be doing a longer hike, maybe especially in the heat someplace, then ok. Otherwise I cannot really actually see the point of this whole pre-hike hydration concept. Am I missing the point here?

Trevor DC Gamble

Bear in mind here please, that as with many American outdoors online articles, typically the replies from folk afterwards are usually much more informative than the actual article preceding them, I tend to find!
    Trevor DC Gamble

If I drink as much as recommended guidance, I would spend most of the walk looking for somewhere to have a pee. So I opt for the drink when you're thirsty option.

I do and find as Zippy does.

Check pee colour as it comes out, if it's pale you're getting rid of excess water already, and you don't need any more.

Much cack appears to have been written about hydration levels over the years, mostly by people passing on what they've been told as received wisdom rather than actual good evidence behind it.

Pete.

‹bermensch The Tallest of Paul's's Avatar

i always drink a litre of water before setting off for the day, i always find exercise easier this way as im normally dehydrated in the morning

When I've had to travel quite a long way to a walk I tend to sit in a pub for a couple of hours before heading out into the dark to look for a pitch. This seems to work too.

Apart from the article not understanding what hydration is, some of the comments have reinvented and completely changed the body's physiology. They really should get their ideas patented with (enter deity of your choice)

i regret that I am unable to remember the poster's name, but he wrote a number of informative posts about hydration, especially in the cold Way back. He used facts and logic.

Righto! So I am not going completely mad then! Lol! I shall just do as have been doing, in drinking when I think I actually need to. I really could not see why they were trying to claim in this article that pre-hike hydration was so necessary with winter walking either. I found that bit seemed especially to defy basic logic, really I thought.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Quite right Trevor. Stick to what works.

When playing sport (as I do a couple of times a week) I need to drink quite a lot before I play otherwise I get headaches. I imagine the concept for hiking is the same - especially if going for a long walk and / heading out on hot days.

I once overdid it on a hike up Great Gable onceand ended up with a migraine coming down - not something I'd recommend to anyone!

I do suppose it depends how strenuous your hiking is going to be, I generally motor around and I usually carry a 3l bladder for all but the less strenuous days.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

I think the article might be overstating it somewhat, but having a drink before you set off doesn't seem such a daft idea.

I weigh myself each morning, after having a pee, and before I get into the shower. I note that my weight fluctuates by as much as a kilo over the week, and yet my food intake remains pretty much constant.

In particular, I am usually heavier on a Monday morning, and my weight then drops over the rest of the week.

I go to the pub on the Sunday night and drink 2-3 pints of beer. Let's call it 1.5l. Which weighs 1.5kg. I pee quite a lot of this out, but I suspect that my increased weight is due to increased hydration due to drinking the beer. It may be that I don't drink enough during the week, and I become slightly dehydrated.

So, for me, at least, hydration seems to be quite a long-term effect, and my body doesn't simply expel any 'excess' water; it appears to store it somewhere in the tissues of my body, and release it slowly, and my 'level of hydration' fluctuates.

On the other hand, if I drank the 2l of fluid suggested before I left the house, I would certainly be spending much of the morning going 'off trail'... There's a limit to how quickly my body can absorb water.

I was amazed once to read about an American chap who literally drank himself to death on just water alone, at the other end of the extreme.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Yes, good opinions and arguments ok, all. It is just somehow or other I find my mind stuck in the same overall decided position of logical deductive thought on this subject. I may be therefore right, or completely wrong I do realise.

My reasoning goes kind of like this, ok. In hotter weather we obviously heat up more, so sweat more, so need more water to stay hydrated when moving about outdoors. So thus pre-hike hydration would obviously be much more desirably nescessary I can deduce, especially in those situations it would appear to make logical sense. Add to this we tend likely to move faster/more quickly at least in hotter weather than in colder weather; where we move more slowly, wearing more clothing layers to keep warm in the cold. But in the cold therefore logically, it should be the reverse of this, yes? So we move more slowly overall, and sweat less with the less exertion to the body. Thus we have less need of water, not needing to be constantly cooling down our body systems, unless we make the mistake of wearing too many layers, and thus overheat! So why is the same idea so good of pre-hike hydration in the winter in the cold in hiking as much as in the heat, as in the US article then? Surely therefore logically this does not make as much sense to do the same in the cold, as it does in warmer/hotter conditions to be pre-hike hydrating oneslf, first off before setting out?
    Trevor DC Gamble

'Everyone knows it's essential to keep well hydrated, especially when you're adventuring.
    Losing water through sweat, breathing, and urination can lead to an imbalance of salts and minerals in your body, impacting its performance and function.

Dehydration is a result of losing more water than we consume and the best recognised warning signs include thirst and dark coloured urine. Others include[*]Headaches[*]Lightheadedness[*]Tiredness[/list]Your body needs water for joint lubrication, aiding digestion, flushing out waste and toxins and keeping your skin healthy*.

Don't forget to bear in mind that factors such as temperature, sweating, exercise and altitude on your travels can all increase your rate of dehydration.
    How do I make sure I get enough water when travelling?

At a kilogram a litre, carrying large quantities of water with you on long journeys is not always ideal. It will, in many cases, be the heaviest piece of kit you're carrying! Use these tips to prepare yourself for a day on the go:[*]Pre-hydrate. A litre of H2O before you go will help stock up your body's water stores and will work wonders for your stamina.[*]Pre-plan. Know your route. Make allowances for water stops approximately every hour. You may have to make a few small changes, but this step can make all the difference to your trip.[*]Drink hourly. As a guideline, aim to drink 1 pint (568ml of water) per hour for light-moderate activity.[*]When you arrive at a watering hole, drink at least a pint on the spot and bottle up another before heading off.' Some handy and most timely outdoors hydration lore hints from an email I got in my inbox today! [/list]
    Trevor DC Gamble

Copyright © 2016 Lifeventure, All rights reserved.
    You're receiving this email because you signed up on our website or social media channel.

Our mailing address is:
    Lifeventure

1/8 Bacchus House Calleva Park Aldermaston, Berkshire RG7 8EN United Kingdom

The above was from Lifeventure.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Given that your body has three areas of "hydration", which one(s) are being talked about. Given that your body is a wonderful and miraculous self-regulating thing just what is hydration, what are its effects and how do you influence them.

(Blood, intra cellular and extra cellular)

according to "sources" if you are about 500ml sown on your water you should be tottering about dazed and confused. It may explain why anyone coming out of a sauna are whisked away in an ambulance.

I never understood those Swedes either for that matter, coming out of a sauna, beating themselves with bushes then jumping into freezing lake water! Lol
    Trevor DC Gamble

Trevor DC Gamble