Thread: Pacerpoles

Widdler
    The folk at TGO seem to be impressed with Pacerpoles, and I am interested because I'm interested in anything which might protect my battered ankles and knees. But they are expensive, only come in pairs, and I've never actually seen one. Anyone here have any practical experience of them?

‹bermensch
    I bought a pair for my wife (and if she doesn't use them I can :-)). She's only used them once which isn't enough to provide a definitive answer but I gather she thought they were pretty good. She commented on the fact that using poles kept her hands very warm as for once they got quite a lot of exercise on a chilly day. She did say that if she hadn't had the poles she couldn't have finished the 18 mile walk I took her on!

I've only ever used normal poles but walk with a chap who uses pacer and has used the normal and he rates the Pacer very highly.

The pros as he has gone on and on and on about ( you know who you are Rob) is that there is no fatique in the wrists on hand and they fit much better to the wrists and hands placing them in a natural position. The result is that you are much better equiped to place them better , support the load and use for longer.

But I've never had any trouble from my Lekis and so I'm sticking with them

Leki's good. Me Leki!

What are Propacers, then? What's the difference between them and normal walking poles?

Mini Goon

Treking poles or pacers - whatever - they are great for the CV workout they give you as a freeby and also are good for easing arthritis in neck and shoulders. As far as extending trekking range is concerned I would agree and add that my trek speed has risen dramatically. Thumbs up from me!

Cheers!

Widdler
    I've used Pacerpoles for about 18 months and I like them a lot. I bought them to replace my old Leki Makalus, whose joints (like mine) were creaking and clicking after many years of use.

They fit beautifully into the hand and I find them more comfortable than the straight handled Lekis (I get a bit of trouble with bursitis in one wrist and pushing on a pole strap irritates it).They are a bit sweatier than the Leki cork handles though.

Disadvantages? They're expensive and not as easy to stow neatly on the sides of a pack as some others. That's not a problem if you don't travel by public transport though.