Thread: Half Bags

Widdler

Hi (I've been lurking here for a while off and on first proper post)

Does anyone know of manufacturers/retailers in the UK that carry half bags (pied d'elephant)?

I am figuring out some possible sleeping set ups and I have used half bags before. If I go for this system I'm interested in getting a few different combinations for different uses. For one I would like to find a synthetic half with an "openable" foot. Also, are there any quilt type wraparounds that come in a half type size? Or anything likehttp://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/arc...cts/arc_at.htm which is UK sourceable.

Currently the only offering I can see for a range of half products in the UK is PHD. Pretty sure I found some others last time I had a quick look into this but am at a loss to find them again.

Thanks in advance for any info.

edit: I noticed that Alpkit were intending to release some at some point this year. Did these come and go?

Alpkit did one quite a few years back, I think it was their PD200, I had one for a while but got rid due to lack of use.

Apart from PHD I'm not sure there's any other UK offerings currently

Speak with Mat at UKHammocks, he could probably come up with a design for you

‹bermensch

I'm sure Ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk used to sell versions from one of the USA manufacturer's.

It might have been Big Agnes ?

They don't seem to have them now but they do have a Thermarest Antares which has a lighter down fill on the bottom.

Widdler

Top style bags don't suit me as I tend to turn over with the bag during the night. But if anyone is interested in using one, rock&run have a good deal on a Rab one I noticed a couple of days back. http://www.rockrun.com/deals/sleepin...module-top-bag.

ULOG also has the Thermarest Navis which is lighter on the upper half of the body and stitched through but it still comes over rather heavy. Can't quite make out from that description if the underneath is lighter and the intention being you fix it to the mat.

One of the reasons I like a half bag and a jacket is drying them out while taking breaks. I find it can be really hard to keep a down bag dry in the UK when setting off before or around dawn and camping again as it gets dark, over multiple days, as it is often out when you are below the dew point. Chucking the jacket on when taking a break in the middle of the day and pulling the bag out for an airing is way more convenient than with a full length as you can get half or more of it out over a pack at time.It's also way nicer to sit up in and cook in than a full length too if you are spending a few days with lots of tent hours during long winter nights.

I've found a few French and Italian suppliers today but, all in all, the PHD stuff is looking v good at the moment.

Not sure re UK apart from PHD..

but with shipping costs so low and bags being packable...

look at (apart from Nunatak - who also make a "regular" half bag):

brooksrangemountaineering (have half bag - not quilt

mountainlaureldesigns - have just waht you talk about - synth half quilt

feathered friends - viero - quite interesting since has some down over chest (but much less than over lower part

western mountaineering tamarak

Tim @enlightened equipment has a synth quilt i assume he can custom make a short one

I have looked at this in the past as well (but opted not to go this route) I think you should also consider the issue of sitting up in the bag - if you are looking at quilt vs bag

M