Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highlands Lyme Disease Health Warning Issued By Highland Council..

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/...rning/0013409/

I do actually have this already, thanks to a bad tick bite down South on the Ashdown Forest locally here quite some years ago. It affects me in various ways still to this day. I recall that tell tale bite mark on my leg well, that was like a target face on an archery target with a roundel around the bite site.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Lyme-di...roduction.aspx

Trevor DC Gamble

'Symptoms: Early Stage

Within one to four weeks of being bitten by an infected tick, most people will experience some symptoms of Lyme disease. A circular, expanding rash (called erythema migrans) at the site of the bite develops in about 70%-80% of cases. Some people report flu-like symptoms at this stage, including fever, chills, headaches, fatigue, swollen lymph nodes, joint pain, and muscle aches.'

Above taken from here, below link.

<a href='http://www.webmd.com/arthritis/ss/slideshow-lyme-disease' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>http://www.webmd.com/arthritis/ss/slideshow-lyme-disease

I never saw the tick that bit me! It must have just dropped off! But by heck I felt it bite! And thus I became a sufferer of this disease. And so I still occasionally do suffer from some of those exact above symptoms, and have done since the infected bite. The periods of weakness have often forced me to crawl into bed or a sleeping bag and just try to drink lots of fluids and literally sweat it out! ( When I got my bite I was in the TAVR, Queens Infantry Regiment; doing some training up on the Ashdown Forest training areas, where there are lots of deer, hence the ticks as well! ) Asprin or paracetamol I find does help me too. I might get up to seven or more of these strangely inexplicable sweating fevers a year, regularly sadly!

Trevor DC Gamble

Ultra King

I never saw the tick that bit me! It must have just dropped off! But by heck I felt it bite!

Err. Trevor, it can't have been a tick bite. You will never feel a tick bite, they 'anesthetise'as theybite. It must have been something like a Mozzie, Horse Fly,the like. they have been know to have it from biting something infected.

The biggest carrier of LD are rats.

Gonna PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by huskyman View Post

Gonna PM you.
    you gotta love the shockwaves of rumour that emanate through social media.

Mini Goon

Trevor - Hi - have you not had treatment for this? You may have to insist.

I work in a high-risk area, and contracted LD about three years ago. Luckily I saw/removed the tick, then saw the 'bullseye' centred on the same site, then very soon had a typical set of symptoms including 'joint pain'

My GP practice had not seen a case, tho' a practice a town less than ten miles away has treated several folk, including a colleague. My practice tried to faff about; but I insisted on immediate treatment - a couple of weeks of a fairly common antibiotic at quite a high dosage.

if you had the 'bullseye' and typical symptoms continue, seems to me you should find a GP who'll take it seriously.

Best wishes

I have on numerous occasions mentioned it to my GP, thus far to no avail. He did promise to read up on it all though for me. So will test him on that promise next appointment I go make with him soon. Thanks there, shoarthing.
    Trevor DC Gamble

I never saw the tick that bit me! It must have just dropped off! But by heck I felt it bite!

Err. Trevor, it can't have been a tick bite. You will never feel a tick bite, they 'anesthetise'as theybite. It must have been something like a Mozzie, Horse Fly,the like. they have been know to have it from biting something infected.

Gonna PM you.
    Hey there huskyman! Always nice to still see you on here too! Long time no chat together! Still, I really only just got back on here recently I guess, so we must have a good catch up one day.

I was, after posting this all yesterday, thinking back trying to get the exact turn of events back then into sharper focus in my mind. Something definitely did bite me up on the Forest. Later finding the roundel and bite site I connected the two events in my head. I guess they could have no connection in reality but in my minds eye. As for rats, well the week before we had been up on the German Village on Salisbury Plain - also known as Dovecott If I think back now - and there we were doing infantry FIBUA - or 'Fighting In Built Up Areas' training- where I was literally swimming through underground sewer tunnels, moving ammunition supplies about on a kind of push/pull trolley. All around us in my tunnel swimming by were rats galore, after the heavy rains the night before! I could then have got my infection from them! Interesting to now realise that! Never thought of it before now! I just ignored the rats and hopefully they too me, at the time.

Equally just after that we were up in the Cheviot Hills on the Scottish Borders too for a little bit of training. What with a training weekend rapidly running into a two week aways camp. I could have had the bite, not at first noticed the roundel mark and got it from there even, I cannot now be really at all certain. I certainly did not think all these years later it would be affecting me nowadays! I am sure though that it was after getting the bite and feeling it like a hot needle that I later after checked, finding the strange roundel mark. To which I applied all kinds of different antiseptic creams and the such like. The doctor GP I saw back then in the mid nineties thought the roundel was just an allergic reaction to a bite of some kind was all.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Quote Originally Posted by Kinley View Post

Gonna PM you.
    you gotta love the shockwaves of rumour that emanate through social media.

Sorry there Kinley, that is lost on me without explaining it to me as sadly I am somewhere on the autistic spectrum, not quite Aspergers though I reckon. So I miss the point of some things quite often - they just go right over my head, understanding wise!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Rats

Ex PM

I do not really like them but know that we have to live with them, as they are everywhere around us always through the ages. Surprised I have not got Leptospiriosis, or Weils Disease by now as well too, come to think of it.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Trevor DC Gamble

Make sure it gets taken seriously and treated properly. Some places they wont accept the disease is present. The results of such an attitude can be as serious as they get.https://www.lymedisease.org/news-her...a-rip-theda-2/Enough said.

Ultra King

It's a problem with LD Trevor, can take many, many years for any symptoms to start. The "roundel mark" also doesn't always appear, the blood test isn't 100% certain, especially after being bitten.

I know for a fact, he told me, that for many years Ray Mears suffered from things like, severe pain, extreme tiredness, loss of appetite, other things. He eventually found out that it was LD. Very high doses of very strong antibiotics, for 9 months before he was clear.

Thankfully not in UK, (yet), tick also can be infected with Tick Bourne Encephalitis. It is prevalent in certain parts of Europe/the world. TBC can be deadly, it's a good idea to check when heading to the hills before hand.

Kinley?

you gotta love the shockwaves of rumour that emanate through social media

Don't get this, rats are the biggest carriers of LD, as well as Weils.

Ultra King

Don't get this, rats are the biggest carriers of LD, as well as Weils.
    Evidence?

There will be animal reservoirs of Borrelia, I'm not sure I've ever heard a concentration on rats as the main reservoir (indeed I'm not even sure what the rat populations are across many Lyme Disease areas). The vector forLyme disease is the tick, so to a large extent the reservoir is of secondary concern.

Rats are a recognised vector and reservoir for Leptospirosis (Weil's).

Anyway - will be interested to seeyour data.

You're right about Ray Mears and Lyme Disease, huskyman, because I've known him speak of his experience with it too - and not fondly. He seems to be a pretty good observer, is not prone to hypochondria so far as I know, and he spends quite a bit of time bimbling about in Ashdown Forest where Trevor reckons he contracted LD.

Lyme Disease hardly received any medical awareness until the 1970's, but certainly existed before then. It is notoriously difficult to diagnose promptly and accurately, and to treat all consequences effectively. LD can cause many different symptoms, some delayed in onset and extremely serious, and the wide variation in presentation often causes misdiagnosis (and in some cases disbelief even amongst medical professionals) which can result in ineffective medical responses. Symptoms commonly range from those of a flu condition, migraine, rheumatoid arthritis, skin numbness, heart palpitations, and can include memory or concentration problems and what may even be seen as mental illness. Recent medical investigations reveal ever-more consequences connected to LD, and the list is growing in number and complexity. I've never had LD, but I can say that anyone who sees the effects it can have may realise what wide-ranging serious and debilitating results LD can produce. It's no joke.

The transmission path of the disease is a complex one, not always understood by those unaware of it or relying upon older opinion or hearsay. Ticks (deer ticks in the UK for example) certainly obtain the microbes which cause the disease from the blood of infected rodents (not deer) then may pass on that cause to humans they may also feed upon. Although the transmission rate is low, in areas where causing microbes are present in the rodent population, an increase in human activity in those same areas is likely to lead to an increase in cases of LD where ticks are able to find more humans to pass the cause on to.

Interesting links folks , dr thought I may have got it through a tick bite before I left home, will see what happens when I go back .

Ultra King

Kinley. One of many.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

Lots of studies of LD infection in different rodents/animals.

Seems to be a link to Pubmed. Any links to the rat data?

I don't know about their work since, but in 2010 the US Institute of Medicine got experts together and considered the results of studies into Lyme and other tick-borne diseases undertaken to that time. These diseases have such complex transmission factors symptoms and results, that the state of scientific and medical understanding even as recently as 2010 was to an extent uncertain. The IoM wanted to determine the true state of affairs and their findings were published into an enticingly titled book; Critical Needs and Gaps in Understanding Prevention, Amelioration, and Resolution of Lyme and Other Tick-Borne Diseases.The Short-Term and Long-Term Outcomes: Workshop Report.Author; Committee on Lyme Disease and Other Tick-Borne Diseases: The State of the Science, Board on Population Health and Public Health Practice, Institute of Medicine.ISBN: 9780309211093

The book is expensive, hard to plough through, but illuminating overall because of its conclusions and because of the studies and papers and work of the experts pointed to and considered prior to publication of overall findings. I think the summing up is to say that Lyme Disease is extremely complex, not as originally thought and in some respects still a mystery needing more research in some directions, and some revealing findings need to be better known in order to shape the direction of future research and treatment more effectively.

continued...

...continuation

In the field of US study, award-winning medical journalist Liza Gross publicized amongst other works a 13-year New York field study by Dr R Ostfield & associates into factors affecting the incidence of Lyme Disease (Gross L (2006) A New View on Lyme Disease: Rodents Hold the Key to Annual Risk. Published by the Public Library of Science). This study showed that LD incidence was not affected by variations in deer population, but by factors affecting some animal populations (white-footed mice and especially chipmunks in the NY area) that ticks could feed on, thereafter passing the causes of LD to humans exposed to a risk determined by rodent numbers. More food for rodents = greater rodent population = more bodies for ticks to feed on = greater incidence of LD in humans.

The biological factors that are introduced from one species to another by ticks to cause LD (or other tick-borne diseases) are the same in the US as the UK for the same diseases. Deer population seems to have no bearing on incidence. We may not have chipmunks as hosts to support the LD infection process but we do have rodents. Some rodents will be more likely to harbour the causes of LD than others. Chipmunks were found to be prevalent LD host carriers because they were dirty animals - poor groomers. I have seen no study to specifically implicate rats, but rodent numbers is linked to LD incidence according to study. Rattus norvegicus and chums certainly need looking at to see who the bad boys are so far as LD is concerned, but I'm not aware of anyone in the UK who is so engaged.