Thread: Do We Really Want To Rewild Britain, With All These Animals Once More Again?

Last time we discussed this kind of a thing here most folk were not too supportive of such a drive, to reintroduce past species here into our wild areas once more. As it oftentimes means shutting us all out of an area they reintroduce wild things back into.

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/201...-britain-group
    Trevor DC Gamble

<a href='http://www.google.com/url?url=http://globe-views.com/dreams/lynx.html&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ved=0CBgQwW4w AWoVChMImuji_tu3xwIVrBbbCh3wug_X&usg=AFQjCNFrEG0_r-81kibenA4DBtey5HXu0Q' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>

<a href='http://www.google.com/url?url=http://earthjustice.org/features/ourwork/re-born-to-be-re-wild&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ved=0CCAQwW4wBWoVC hMI5_Xdj9y3xwIVx0vbCh0wmQiF&usg=AFQjCNHuqHvfh_uxSW UacN-srHdj3vsHHw' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>

<a href='http://www.google.com/url?url=http://stemjobs.com/wolves-change-rivers/&rct=j&frm=1&q=&esrc=s&sa=U&ved=0CBgQwW4wAWoVChMIx pXhpNy3xwIVxjTbCh0RBwRV&usg=AFQjCNF5cdSHj6DpeVcFv6 zkFAO2gKuOQw' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>
    Trevor DC Gamble

Ultra King

The only reservations I have are the Wild Boar and Bison. They can and do attack humans, often without warning, or any particular reason.

The rest will avoid humans as much as possible and will only attack if need to defend themselves. Personally I'dreally like to hear the "howl" of Wolves and maybe a chance of seeing in the "wild" in the UK.

I've had the pleasure in other countries. A sight and sound to behold.

Wild boar are a fait accompli, at least if various news reports are to be believed, with plenty of escapees from farms doing quite nicely on their own.

The problem with wolves seems to be primarily political, but get past that (easier siad than done) and there seems to be genuine uncertainty as to whether Scotland provides enough territory for long term viability. I'm not an expert so my opinion one way or the other there counts for nought, but if there is enough space I'd like them back: as Huskyman notes, they're pretty safe in human terms.

Lynx seem to be almost the no-brainer of predator reintroduction, and some predator for deer other than rich folk shooting would almost certainly be of great benefit to highlands ecosystems.

Not come across any schemes for bison up until now.

Pete.

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Clinch View Post

The problem with wolves seems to be primarily political,

You mean there are already too many in the House of Commons?

you're getting wolves mixed up with syphilitic weasels.

Ha ha ha! Very good, Kinley!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Were there even ever before previously, definitely, bothwild Bison and Lynx in the area now called the UK? Wolves and Beavers I do believe!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Ultra King
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor DC Gamble View Post

Were there even ever before previously, definitely, bothwild Bison and Lynx in the area now called the UK? Wolves and Beavers I do believe!
    True, but the UK was very less populated, nearly totally wild forested. So had much more 'room to avoid humans' and much more of their type of food about.

Trevor DC Gamble

Goon

There is also a less "spectacular" aspect to rewilding which involves planting more trees in barren upland areas to attract more insects, small mammals and birds. The idea would be to increase biodiversity and maintain more water in the uplands to prevent flooding lower down. In the longer term, larger mammals could be reintroduced but would need a significant change in ecosystems to make this succesful.

I've really enjoyed the Pyrenees for the wildlife as much as the scenery. Of course, it's a bigger, wilder area but the British hills are sterile deserts in comparison.

Bison have been reintroduced to a small area of SW Romania, successful so far I've read.

Wild boar dangerous? Well I guess they might be if you cornered one, but isn't the "wild" landscape meant to be, well, a bit wild??

'Lynxes may be reintroduced to the UK after breeding programmes elsewhere in Europe have succeeded in saving the big cats from extinction.The numbers of Iberian lynx, which historically lived in Portugal and Spain, have tripled over just 15 years f...

The Independent - 28 March 2016'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36005154

More on this topic again in the news recently here.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Just thinking on this topic again recently, and it comes to my mind that I am not actually really sure how I would react to seeing such wolves and Lynxes running wild in wilderness Britain again. It would of course be fantastic to catch a rare glimpse of them as an animal lover. Then my mind strays to thoughts of encountering them when they are less rare and much more established in the wilds. Packs of wolves do still attack people in America where they have been reintroduced. As do big cats in the US states too sadly. I am thinking not so much a problem in the next decade after reintroduction, yes ok. But in twenty or so years the problems experienced thus in the US could happen here, as over there. I would not like to meet up one night, or hear of others either, facing danger from wild critters in the UK in future years whilst outdoors enjoying wilderness pursuits. Will they stop there at these animals being thus introduced to the wilds too either, or will we likewise see suggested the reintroduction of bigger animals like European wild bear for instance later on perhaps as well? I see problems and trouble ahead, since compared with most other European countries we are a comparatively small landmass nation do not forget. Playing Devil's Advocate in essence here perhaps pretty much, I do realise of course!
    Trevor DC Gamble

‹bermensch

Saw Countryfile on TV and beavers are now getting a mixed reception. In the west of Scotland they are welcome changing the landscape, increasing biodiversity and attracting tourists which increases local revenue.

In the east of Scotland they are seen as a pest eroding river banks to the point of collapse with the subsequent loss of farmland. The farmers want the right to cull them. Re-introduce trapping? Beaver pelts were once soughtafter.

I don't think we have enough space for wolves but lynx possibly. Wolves can cover 50 miles in a day!

God, if they tried ever to reintroduce any kind of Beaver trapping then the Grey Owl lovers would go nuts I am most sure! Lol
    Trevor DC Gamble

Banned

Um..I suppose it's fair to say wolves are pretty safe to humans relatively speaking but there have been 3 cases in North America since 2000 of people being hunted and killed by wolves but strangely non before that so make of that what you will But in 2000 a six year old boy was attacked and bitten repeatedly by a wolf in Canada before that no record had been kept On wolf human interactions after this the perception that wolves were not a threat to humans changed and the Alaska departmen of fish and game began to solicit and compile cases of wolf human encounters is it coincidence that the only 3 cases of humans being hunted and killed all occurred after this change you'll have to decide for yourself I am not an expert and my knowledge on the matter is limited but to me that seems to be a hell of a coincidence

Yes, even though I do love my wilderness wolves, and even have cd's of mood music wilderness style with wolf packs howling in the American wilds on. However, love them as I definitely do, even I would have to draw the line at being eaten by them I reckon!
    Trevor DC Gamble