Thread: Breaking in leather or leather/cloth boots

Goon

I have found that breaking boots in works best with this method:

1.fill new boots with warm water

2. let boots sit for 15 minutes

3. drain boots and wear immediately for at least 2 hours

Repeat steps 1 - 3 if necessary.

This methods substitutes warm water for body sweat and works faster, with less pain than just walking in "dry".

I have also found that $40. thermal fit insoles help me avoid foot sole blisters. These insoles are usually heated at 250 F. in your oven (yes) for about 10 minutes then put right into your boots. You immediately step into the boots, lace them up and stand still for another 5 to 10 minutes. VOILA! insoles formed to your foot shape. I've been amazed at the comfort and lack of blisters or rubbed raw areas from walking with wet feet.

**Recently I did this with a new pair wearing my loaded backpack on and got an even better fit.

There is an old school of thought in the States - as featured in the film Deadly Pursuit, with Tom Berenger as a wilderness expert and backcountry guide - that one can walk new leather boots into a stream and walk them out wet to help break them in. Presumably that is only advisable in the summertime though maybe!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Hi Eric

Can also vouch for the heated insoles as Haglofs used them in a range or two of their footwear,using for about 5yrs now still comfy as the day I cooked them

What did they taste like though, Diddi?
    Trevor DC Gamble

A bit rubbery

LOL!!!

Trevor DC Gamble

Widdler

Wear the right socks and wear the boots. Wear them for short distances at first and steadily increase the distance(s). Don't storm off at a great pace at first, but take it steady and gently on reasonably flat routes. Its no more complicated than that. You won't compromise the materials and they'll settle in correctly and naturally to your feet. Modern boots don't actually need breaking in, in the traditional sense - thank heavens!

Procedure for me, with Scarpa shaped feet...
    1. Buy Scarpa (size 43) stuff
    2. Wear
    3. Errrr, that's it.

This including rigid plastic climbing boots that wouldn't break in anyway. If it fits right it shouldn't be a problem. So the moral is, make sure it fits!

Initiate
    Thanks Pete...I thought I had missed something here..

leather/cloth boots procedure. try boots on...check for size..buy boots..put boots on and walk

leather boots. As above with additional check for suitable roll on the sole (to facilitate my natural walking action) and fit with existing crampons (see previous).

Put boots on and walk

Mini Goon

I agree fit is everything. However some leather boots can be softened to make them more comfortable from the off by simply applying Carrs Leather Oil or similar.

Übermensch

There's an assumption here that a brand can be found that will fit your feet perfectly.

Certainly I haven't found that for my feet though Mammut comes the closest and inflicts the fewest blisters/black toes/bruised soles.

If only they didn't keep on disintegrating...

Mini Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Clinch View Post

Procedure for me, with Scarpa shaped feet...
    1. Buy Scarpa (size 43) stuff
    2. Wear
    3. Errrr, that's it.

This including rigid plastic climbing boots that wouldn't break in anyway. If it fits right it shouldn't be a problem. So the moral is, make sure it fits!
    . . . . OP's technique sounds like the sort of thing fashion-conscious chums go through when trying to make bearable macho stompers like Katahdin Ironworks Boots.

Widdler

While it is important to buy boots that fit, it is equally important to understand what a "boots that fit" are, and how a well fitting boot should feel? Often the "perfect" boot in the shop is the wrong boot out on the hill. Typically, you should be buying a boot 1 size larger than your usual shoe size. Feet swell dramatically when out walking - never mind what some people suggest about buying boots late in the day, etc - and when walking down hill you don't want your toes anywhere near the ends! A good shop will fit you correctly - don't worry about "breaking in" modern boots. Hawkins Cairngorms - along with their steel shanks - have long since left the collective hill walking folk memory. (Thank heavens - they made nothing but bl**dy awful boots).

Never "broken in" a boot or footwear in my life, if they fit right they fit right and don't need all these ridiculous procedures.

If you think for a second you need to do any of the procedures about, take the boots back and replace them.

Initiate
    Oh guys...Eric has been about here for years and years...but he is from the USA so can have some interesting ideas as how to do things, like make tea.

Oh......Morning Eric!