Thread: Good Pegs/Stakes for Trailstar and trekking pole?

Widdler

I am starting getting down to small details on my equipment for hiking - I do plan to use it for more than just this summer and want to expand to Autumn and possibly early winter and then who knows.

So now I am interested in pegs/stakes. Had a bit of read about them and well I am interested in lightweight option and two (that are fairly easy available in UK came to my mind)

1) MSR Carbon Core Stakes

2) Easton Mountain Products FMJ Stakes

Personal preference would be towards the MSR ones as they are cheaper and most likely will need two sets.

Are they worth the investment? Whether they will be strong enough for British winds? Will they be fairly universal - working on various ground rather than specific to just one type, etc?

In all honesty always used tents and the pegs that were provided with them so not the most fluent in custom ones.

Other thing is what trekking poles would be recommended - they should pack up quite short as I use bicycle for commute so would be nice if they would fit in the bags nicely. Also lightweight, durable and not at a killer price.

I know that here personal views might matter a lot but since I have never used any I am like a blank sheet - open to suggestions

We had threads on here before of the very best of the tent pegs available, so hopefully one of the OM Forum Hero regulars will be able to steer you to one of those older threads for advice!
    Trevor DC Gamble

The stakes you mention are fine, though I'd be wary of hittting them with rocks. But, as you are on a bike I really don't see the need for these extremely expensive stakes though - it's not like you are going seriously ultralight?

If I were you I would buy some Eastons from Bearpaw as you appear to have an order pending. 6 Backpackers and 4 nanolites is my recommendation for a Trailstar.

I use 6 Easton Backpackers and 4 Vargo Ti Nails for mine .

Polewise, I would definitely go for some with flicklock style adjusters. Black Diamond are suitable.

Black Diamond Trail Compacts or Womens version BD Trails pack smaller than the standard BD Trails.

Good going Mole! First fastest Forum Hero to the thread!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Widdler

I am actually planning on going well as light as possible - My main trip for this year would be 8-9 days of mixed cycling and hiking - where cycling is more as a way of travelling to another point from where I plan to ditch the cycle and go up hiking hence my interest in going as light as possible as I will probably do bit more hiking than cycling.

On top of that I am thinking a bit ahead as I would like to take my daughter hiking next year which most likely mean carrying my stuff, her stuff and quite possibly her from time to time so I am thinking will invest bit more now and save later. I have actually seen a blog post whiteburnswanderings about very similar stakes configuration to the ones that you use

Also I am hoping that those stakes will last a couple of years. Of course if they wouldn't then it might not be worth investing hence the question about them.

Of course huge question here would be am I looking into weight reduction too much and in reality it will not make a significant difference.

Agree with your last sentence.

Just saying, but IMO a sil Trailstar plus inner is not a 'seriously ultralight' choice, so I don't think that spending $ to save just 60g (a swig of water) on pegs is a sensible target at going lighter. plenty bigger things to think about saving weight on. YMMV

FMJs (which I have and am using now) are IMO possibly a bit too short for successful anchoring of a shelter like the TS I'd use a mix including Eastons: depends on what ground conditions are like though....}

Widdler

Now question about Trailstar - wouldn't sil Trailstar with inner be considered on the ultralight taking size and durabilityunder consideration. I mean I had been looking at tents and Tarp was suggested so Trailstar popped up.

The Pyranet 1 I am getting should be at 11 oz so in total it would make it 31oz which is circa 800-900 grams. From what I have seen you either going silk thin materials which someone pointed out will not be as durable for that weight or really small size.

Although having said that I am considering Borah Gear Bug Bivi as it should weight around 190grams so nearly half of the Pyranet but that's for the future.

On the personal note I was considering getting CF Trailstar but read that it works best with silnylon so decided to stay with that.

I think I will go with your recommendation though - stakes at BearPaw are significantly cheaper than here in UK so might just ask them to drop them in to the package followed by recommendation ...for whatever reason things in UK are either impossible to get or cost significantly higher. It's as if hiking market in UK is either poor or there is a big unfilled gap at the moment.

Initiate

Hi with possibley 250 + nites under my TS id suggest 9 inch easton alloys..wether from mld or tarp tent or bearpawd..in last few yrs noticed heads can pull off the pegs so i just put a drop of Gorrila glue on each one,before first use...Poles i use Alloy Pacers and never had a problem summer or winter .....and def silnyon if your getting the TS ....safe travels peter

Mini Goon

The MSR Carbon Core Stakes are costing you about £1 per gram saved. There may be other items of your kit where you can save weight by spending less.