Thread: Talkback: New OS Maps Complete With Digital Download

Wish they'd provide it in a universal, publicly described format so you could move it between readers. Oh well

Wonder how, if at all, its all going to link into their seemingly subscription (~20/annum) cloud based service.

‹bermensch
    They may be a Government Agency but like much of the Government nowadays they're an agency tasked with raising money to cover much of their upkeep.
    They've sold off the really profitable parts of Government to the private sector so that shareholders rather than the tax payer can get the profits and all we're left with are the ones that they can't figure out how to turn a quick profit for their pals in the city and the ones like the OS that can't raise enough to cover all their outgoings.
    Then they cut back on the remaining essential services as unaffordable because the profitable parts which helped to subsidise those services no longer belong to the public sector.
    Anyway, enough of the political diatribe.
    I want to know why there isn't a windows phone version of their app.

Initiate

Unless the price of the map has been increased you're not paying for the download from the OS at all, its a freebie. You aren't paying twice for your digital mapping.

Companies have long since tried to tie customers in with proprietary data types etc, Apple I think being one of the first. I doubt it will change.

I fail to see why anyone should expect both mapping types for the old price. You can buy a digital download or buy a paper map.

A pat on the back for the OS I say.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

The point Martin was trying to may is that OS mapping, wherever it is bought from, should be compatible with any mapping tool. Currently, we have the stupid situation where OS mapping bought for Viewranger isn't useableon Anquet, SatMap, etc. And it looks like buying a paper map only lets you use the 'free' digital mapping on the OS app, so yet another closed data set.

Yes. I can (just about) accept the OS mapping from individual vendors being closed but would - perhaps naively given their current status - tend to hope better from the OS

It has at least, I suppose, got much cheaper in recent years.

Initiate

I wasn't addressing martins post, more the article.

I would expect that if I bought digital mapping I should be free to use it in the applications of my choice.

I don't know if its the map data, applications or drm that restrict its use on multiple apps.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

It's a DRM issue (with existing systems, anyway). Each vendor applies different DRM method or code, and so the mapping data (which is what you've paid for) cannot be transferred to another mapping app.

It's a tricky DRM issue, but I'm sure there are technical solutions available.