Thread: Long sleeve baselayers

Initiate

Does anyone have any recommendations for a couple of long sleeve base layers that are reasonably warm (at least Montane Sonic type thickness), wick reasonably well and don't look so clingy that they look out of place worn day to day - and for about £10-20 a pop? For double duty - mostly round the town duty, but which will get used on the hill and exercising too.

So far I've got my eye on the ME Crux which is going reasonably cheap, any other suggestions?

The Rab Meco longsleeve stuff tends not to have a figure hugging cut, different fabric to the things you've mentioned previous but certainly as warm.

I would have recommended the Arcteryx phase stuff but point three; 'clinginess', would rule them out

Initiate

I suspect price would rule both out too. Meco is on the wish list anyway but for dedicated hill walking, as and when I can pick one up cheap.

‹bermensch

Have a look at the running baselayers.

Nike and Adidas do loose fit baselayers that can be used for casual use. They also do more figure hugging stuff as well of course so not everything will be suitable.

Also Saucony, New Balance, Brooks, Asics would should have some suitable stuff in their ranges.

http://www.sportsshoes.com/products/...d2=90&s=4&l=40 Sorted by price ascending

Also 'Time to Run' are relatively loose fitting (or at least the ones I've tried).

http://www.timetorun.co.uk/mens-runn...-t-shirts.html

Finally Peter Storm tops from Millets might fit the bill.

Initiate

If you don't want a clingy or tight fit get a size up. If its your belly you want to hide with a baggy fit it still works. I've been both shapes!

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/the-edge...elayer-p275109

There aren't any base layers I'd wear casually tho with long sleeves!

Gear Stop

Icebreaker Oasis is a great casual looking baselayer with all the performance of a technical baselayer. They do run a bit higher in price though but you really get what you pay for (and the don't stink!)

Hope this helps from your friends at www.gearstop.ca

Initiate

Just trying to avoid the every minute lump and bump visible feature of my Aeon tops - my waistline I'm less fussed about.

Good shout on the running tops, the one top I can get away with wearing casually is a Nike running top - it's fitted but not second skin tight. Ordered an Asics one on the same principle. Had a free delivery code for Sportshoes that needed using anyway.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

Not familiar with Montane Sonic, but I like these as a warm base/light mid:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/techwinte...d_8319420.html

As usual with Decathlon, go for one size up on your 'normal' size.

Widdler

Nike do a good job of clean and simple design, I have a few of their dri-fit baselayers which I bought with the idea of them being fit for double duty. I'm usually between a large and extra large size for baselayers and got the larger size with the nike shirts because they work better for casual use although probably not asefficiently for wicking work. I bought my shirts direct from nike, and liked that they offered free returns so I was able to order a bunch of stuff without worrying about sizing too much.

Banned

I use thehttp://boredsport.co.uk/Mens/Mens-Teeslong sleeved Tees as my under-layer, I used to use all the typical walking brands, but I got one of these just because of the Climber motif and it's more comfortable and warm than any thermal rubbish I'd bought.

Pus you can wear their stuff when you're not hiking

If you have an Aldi store nearby, they today started offering some cycle gear for great prices. Amongst it (at least in Exeter) were merino baselayers at £15 a pop. Might be worth a peek?

Be quick though!