Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking Poles

Goon

Starting to look at Walking Poles. I have seen the Karrimor carbon poles at 200g per one at £ 29.99phttp://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor...A&gclsrc=aw.dsI see Alpkit about to do at £ 45.00phttps://www.alpkit.com/products/carbonlite-pairSo what can you guys recommend. Be it Carbon or Aluminium.

Search OM using the search term Walking poles.

Or try this ready-picked Google search.

Or read Pete's Pole Pages by OM-er Peter Clinch

Initiate

Ive ordered some 158g alloy poles. 58gbp a pair.

I like carbon fibre but alloy is easy to repair and replace if necessary.

Light poles are probably closer to breaking than some heavier ones

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/fizan_compact_ultralite_trekking_poles/?SelectedItem=597920

Depends on how hard you want to hit people with them

Initiate

Definitely a poking, stabbing weapon

Widdler

Get the best you can afford. Be clear what your priorities are. Is it weight? Is it material for grip? How small they pack? etc

At the end of the day they're sticks, and it's not rocket science. Not everyone takes to them (I'd say the majority are a total waste of space as they're just waved ineffectually at the ground) so it's fairly reasonable to get cheap and cheerful ones. Lidl and Aldi have them from time to time for pennies, which seems a good way to decide whether they're for you.

I use my ski touring poles when I want some, because I had them anyway, but more often than not I go without, at least going up.

Pete.

Widdler

Sorry Peter couldn't disagree more. On a steep descent poles are (for me at least) absolutely mandatory. Allow for greater speed of descent but more importantly help with balance and hence safety. Agree that on ascent, not always necessary and on a scramble they get in the way but on descent, a must have.

Initiate

I like poles too. Getting some cheapies to try out is a good idea, my first pair cost 4gbp.

I find they are great for balance, declines and if I fancy a workout or resting my legs abit.

Have a look at Pacerpoles reviews see if you fancy them.Bit different but I would not use any others now.

Initiate

They look interesting, handle angle seems the main difference and the handle contours.

I like straps however, maybe I'll try them one day for myself.

I find it worth paying the extra pennies for flick-lock poles. So much less faff than twist. BD ones have been bomber so far whereas my cheap leki i've been using to replace my lost BD actually bent enough it couldn't be folded away last time I was out, and the twist lock is always giving me problems. Currently waiting on a new pair of expedition 3's but unless you plan to use them for winter and touring the trail's are great too. Try snowinn or trekinn for cheaper prices than in the UK.

Initiate

I've not found twist locks a problem, even my cheapies lock well enough and adjust easily, but experiences are bound to vary.

I'd like them light too, as what I don't save in kit I have to remove in body fat.

IME, although poles are available individually, purchasing a matching pair will put use on the most efficient and beneficial path from day one. That opinion comes after use of a walking stick back in the Dark Ages (handy for tripod-like support on difficult ground or stream crossings, but no strap for support and no ability to adjust length for uphill/downhill sections).

Replacement by a single aluminium Leki pole brought some improvement but also highlighted the imbalance of stress this placed upon the body in loaded situations, and uphill or downhill where the pole was of greater use than a simple walking-stick it was clear that doubling the improvement with an additional pole would make sense as well as aid balance further. At first, twin pole use is rather like a walk with an octopus on board, but sensible advice on use and, I think, natural tendencies towards efficiency, overcomes this awkwardness soon enough. My knees in particular, greatly appreciate twin-pole use these days.

‹bermensch

Most people I've spoken to who've used both types seem to prefer flick lock poles.

I haven't used the flick lock style and have always stuck to twist style. Partly because if they do slip they slip progressively. I've also got so used to tightening them as I go along that I do it automatically without thinking about it.

The downside of twisties is that they do need the occasional bit of maintenance when the length adjustment mechanism slips out but it's easily sorted

Also be aware that a lot of thinner poles don't have that high a breaking strain and if you slip while going down a steep slope (for example) you can put a higher force on the poles than your weight would suggest.

A bit like running where you can hit the ground with up to 3 times your bodyweight.

As I'm heavy I prefer the thicker/heavier poles though they are of course heavier to carry. I don't find this an issue as most of the time the single pole I use is in my hand and is only attached to my pack if I'm scrambling.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Boo View Post

Sorry Peter couldn't disagree more.
    What, you mean theyare Rocket Science?

Here's the UIAA Medical Commission's take on them. A lot of good, but with downsides too.

Pete.

Widdler

No Peter, your statement that poles are a "waste of space". In my view they are worth mastering to use properly and more that worth the weight in the pack so in terms of walking, they are better than rocket science!

Twist lock poles require adjustment as grip will change with temperature. I've never had twist lock slip. Put hand around where the lock will work to warm the pole up. Tighten. As it contracts with the cold it will grip strongly.

i have often had to warm the poles to get them undone again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Boo View Post

No Peter, your statement that poles are a "waste of space". In my view they are worth mastering to use properly and more that worth the weight in the pack so in terms of walking, they are better than rocket science!
    You missed the point. What I said was not that poles are a waste of space, end of, but thatmost poles are because their owners don't bother mastering their use and as a result, as I noted, "they're just waved ineffectually at the ground".

I wouldn't have made a web page on how to use them if I thought they weren't ever worth the bother, would I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Parky Again View Post

i have often had to warm the poles to get them undone again.
    Just what I need when I want to stow them at the bottom of a scramble...

I never suffered much from twist-locks slipping (not more than flick-locks, at any rate) but if they go worng then the mech is inaccessible to you and there may be nothing you can do about it. Been there, done that (or rather not done that, because I couldn't, because they were inaccessible...).

I prefer flicks for the ability to fix them if needed and the setting to a working tension with sweaty or numb hands is much more straightforward. Not so good is they are bulkier and heavier. You choose, you loose, but both work.

Pete.

Widdler

Why are you wanting poles? Unless your knees are bad or you're advancing in age I'd say don't bother.