Thread: Talkback: Jottnar's 230g NeoShell Waterproof Top

Widdler
    Will you be doing a review in the near future?

‹bermensch

NeoShell has, so far, been used in quite heavy garments. Does this mean that the face fabric of this jacket isn't as strong as most other ultralight shell jackets? If it's similar to the lightest goretex and eVent face fabrics then it could be a real winner. I'm not sure it needs reviewing - I want one.

It's possible we'll review it, it certainly looks interesting. I would expect the durability to be similar to other very lightweight fabrics, but that's an educated guess rather than based on anything concrete. It depends on the spec of the face fabric and liner, but in general, lighter fabrics are now more durable than they used to be.

That said, really light kit is rarely in the same league as the heavier stuff, but it's horses for courses. You trade a bit of durability for weight savings and, in Neoshell's case, you trade some outright waterproofness for better breathability, which means better comfort.

Widdler
    It's definitely an interesting piece. I have a Rab Myriad and absolutley love the Neoshell, even ran in it in an ultra two weeks ago. I'm on the hunt for a light weight shell for Lakeland 50 (amongst others) next year, but would rather have a few extra grams for something that will perfom better in a wider range of conditions, then an ultralight pertex shell which will be great provided its warm out.

Maybe enough confidence to use lighter liner fabrics now?

The other thing is that 230g for a totally stripped back smock means the fabric isn't actually thatlight. The lightest similar event/active shell stuff is under 200g.

(Not a big absolute difference, but not trivial in percentage terms )

Widdler

I recently ordered the NeoShell Asmund NeoShell and am eager to see how it compares to my Montane Fast Alpine Stretch Neo alpine jacket. I recently received the Haglofs Roc Spirit and it's an awesome jacket, much better than my North Face L5 shell jacket.