Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the digital vs er normal camera debate

Goon
    Pop
    Right thats the can of worms opened again. I currently have a sCannon EOS 300 and i like it and get good results, well ones i like.

How much would it cost to replace this camera witha digitla equivilent?

tbf i dont properly understand all the differnt mega pixels stuff they quote but i dont wnat one like my mates £300 quid one as in addition to landscapes etc i take a lot of motorsport/gigs which need fast movement to be captured and he always misses these as the camera takes afraction of a second to work.

Many thanks

Jon

Ultra King Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur)'s Avatar
    My opinion is that unless you can afford an expensive Digital SLR, stick with film.

IMHO use in motor sport is too demanding for the "average" digital!

Do a search on the subject, there are many strings that have gone though this subject!

I'm not going to comment on all the pros and cons, but just say that IMO a cheapish digital can be made to work for most things these days.

My Canon A70 (3.2 megapixel, around £140) took this at Rally GB this year -

Just need to preset the shutter speed, let it auto everything else and - the key bit - press the button half way down to pre-focus before the car turns up. That way, when the button is pressed all the way down the photo is taken immediately. The usual delay is mainly due to autofocus and exposure, not the CCD.

Cheers

Steve

Poo, need to work out how to do links on this forum :-( Anyway, paste http://www.giveitfish.co.uk/Misc/200...rallygb/20.jpg in the address bar of your browser and you'll get the general idea :-)

try

Mini Goon
    Given that you (presumably!) have Canon lenses, you can get a 300D digital SLR for about £500. It should behave very similarly to a normal EOS300 in terms of focus speed etc. and is capable of professional results. The conversion from the film version should be pretty painless, but bear in mind that your lenses will behave as if they are longer by a factor of 1.6

Welcome back Jon )

I Agree with Graeme, if you can afford it, go with a 300D, all your lenses will fit. With a 1GB memory card you should get around 400 shots on a card (that's 10 rolls of film).
    Once you go the digital route, you won't pick up your film camera (I promise)
    If you want to see what a digital camera can do, some shots with a 10D (same sensor as 300D) in my gallery at
    http://lesmclean.photoblink.com/

Regards
    Les

Goon
    thank you been a while in the void but now have lovely broadband. sounds good have a few lenses so will look into it woudl save a fortune on films as i'm sure you know most shots are rubbish, well in my experiance they are.

Those photos are awsome les where in yorkshire are they taken. I took a few which are on this site in flamborough last summer when staying in the fog signal cottage on the head.

THanks

Jon

Goon
    Oh anyone know where can get 300D for £500? Jessops list is £649 but has £100 cash back.

Jon, warehouse express have them for £499 (with £100 cash back), if you can find them cheaper anywhere in UK, Jessops will generally price match.
    From your previous post, most of my photography is done in the Yorkshire Dales, I combine walking, photography and taking my dog out, (perfect bliss I'd say).
    The shots of the coast are a bit further north at Saltburn (my mum has a caravan there).

If you do go down the digital route , and at any time need advise, if I can help, I will.

Regards

Les

in case thats not completely clear you pay £599 then get £100 back from canon until the end of January

Ultra King Ddyrchafedig Gyrrwr (Beic Modur)'s Avatar
    Sorry Jon,

Have I misunderstood your reference to 300 quid?

I may have done so and wrongly interpreted that you meant you were on a tight budget, in which case the "average" digitals would not be up to the task.

If budget is not a consideration, then indeed an expensive digital SLR equivalent is more than adequate for fast action photography.

I used to take many photos of my daughters playing rugby, and on the 35mm SLR, quick action shots were not problematic. They way I got around the digital shutter "lapse" when I went digital with my first, a Fuji 4900, was to take multi shots of a piece of action and pressing the shutter early well in anticipation of the "action" I wanted to capture and use the "multishot" capability. The advantage over film was that I could pick the best shots I wanted and did not waste film by this "bracketing."

I still have the 4900, and find it does most of what I did on my Pentax 35mm. For general use however, I have an Olympus mju 410, which I carry nearly everywhere and which I use as my 35mm compact equivalent.

Jon, I'm in a similar position, as I have an EOS30 with a few bits and bobs. Since I got an Olympus 410 eight months ago, I've only used the Canon once for long flash shots of a school concert. I can't see myself using the SLR again, as digital is just so much more convenient. I now get less wasted shots, as I can see right away when someone's eyes are closed, for example.

I want to get a new Canon digital so that I can use my Speedlite flash, which narrows the choice down to the 300D (the other digital SLRs are just too dear), the G6 or the Pro1.

The current 300D promotion can only mean that it's about to get replaced, so I'm going to wait and see what's going to replace it rather than buy into relatively outdated technology. All the reviews say the 300D is an excellent camera, but it's been around a year and a half and is knocking on a bit in digital terms, particularly when compacts are now at 7 megapixels.

The G6 looks tempting, as it's 7 megapixels and takes a Speedlite, but it's basically a tarting up of the old G5 and is probably due an upgrade this year.

Also, these Canons are using the bricklike CompactFlash whereas their newer ones are using the smaller SDs, which again leads me to think that changes are in the not-too-distant offing.

A really good review site is www.dpreview.com.

If you can wait a bit, I'd wait and see what new consumer-end Canon DSLR will unveil once they flog off all their old 300Ds, although the price will probably be back around £700.

If I had to buy right now I'd probably go for the relatively small G6.

‹bermensch
    Jessops in Gloucester offer the 300D for £599. You then get £100 back from Canon.

Goon
    Hi guys
    yeah my budget is aroudn 500 quid. Is the cannon really that out of date? I dont know much about digital at all but the photos ive seen you lot take are really good, was going to get one but youve split my mind now eric.

Jon

a good camera is a good camera. the 300d is a good camera and takes very nice photos. as it is now "old" you have a wealth of info about build quality, reliability etc. don't worry about it, just be grateful their next model in the pipeline (which be all that different) is just pushing the price down.

Agree with Parky, and don't forget it's the person behind the lens that takes the photograph, not the camera.
    The 300D will be replaced at some point (as was the 10D, 1DS, D60 etc), you could wait and see what replaces it, but will likely be around 700-800.
    So at arounde £500 the 300D is £300 cheaper than when it came out , and it has the same size sensor and better processing than the D60, which was £2,000 three years ago.
    A digital SLR has an extremely low shutter lag, which would be important for taking motorsports. A smaller compact digicam does not have the same speed.

Go for it, you only live once, and if you keep waiting for replacements, we'll still be discussing this same thread in 10 years time ;-)

Hi again. Jon, if your budget is £500 I'd definitely go for the 300D, as you're getting guaranteed quality and you'll obviously be able to use your old EOS stuff. From what I gather, the quality of the pictures from the 6MP 300D is way better than the 7MP compacts anyway, with the sensor size being a major plus.

I don't particularly need/want a new camera until the summer, so I don't mind waiting a few months just to see what's coming.

If you can get in to a COSTCO cash and carry you can get a lot more for your money. I got a fuji finepix S5500, 4.1 megapixels, 10x magnification, £239 inc. VAT. (£280 in Argos, Jessops.) 512MB XD card cost £54 inc. VAT. (£80 Jessops). A really good camera. If you are on a budget it's excellent value.