Thread: Tour of the Vanoise

Widdler
    Looking at doing a tour of the vanoise at the end of August, using the cicerone guide. Has anyone done this? I'd like to do about 10 days walking but most trip reports I've seen are 6-7 days. I can either fly Dublin to Geneva or Belfast to Lyon. Belfast to Lyon allows for easier transfers on both ends but because it isn't a direct flight any checked luggage is too expensive. Does anyone travel with a Deuter Futura Pro 42 and if so can it be used as carry on? - I think if I pack it carefully (and wear a few extra layers) it will just about squeeze into their allowance. (55 x 40 x 23cm 10kg) As for trekking poles, does anyone have experience of posting a pair to yourself? Thanks!

I was there a couple of years ago - trip report

Not the 'classic' route; plenty of scope for adding extra days - easier to do that with a tent probably.

Widdler
    Thanks Ed H, I already read your report! Looks like a great trip, I hope that going later in the season I won't need crampons or axes!

I'll have to see what the book is like when it comes. It outlines 10 and 12 day itineraries, probably not covering the same ground as you did. I don't much fancy carrying a tent, particularly in a National Park.

I doubt you'll need hardware too - I've been there in August and it has snowed - but soft stuff that does not consolidate and disappears quickly.

You can poste restante your poles easily enough I would imagine.

You might have looked at this if not it may be some help.I travelled to Geneva but took us ages to get to Modane from there as we had not booked and the train we wanted was full so had three changes and waiting time.I think I worked a ten day route out as we did the Kev Reynolds route over two weeks but would miss out Val d'Isere if I did it again.This is the site giving ideas for routes and for booking the huts. http://english.parcnational-vanoise....onal-park.html. Away at the moment so no access to my notes .The refuges west of Refuge Peclet Poset look an interesting route

Should be able to send your poles marked Poste Restante to the post office oops sorry Ed repeating your advice

Widdler
    Ah! Thanks Orb, I'll avoid Geneva and try Lyon. And sounds like I'd be wise to pre-book the train too.
    Sounds like you did what I'm hoping to do. How'd you get on with the Kev Reynolds route and guide book? Did you stay in Huts most nights? My book hasn't arrived yet but from the vague route map sketch I've seen he seems to have devised his own route. Can't find any write ups for the itineraries he sets out.
    I used the Kev Reynolds Cicerone guide to do the Haute Route last year and couldn't fault it.

Geneva would be ok if you book the train or it may not be so busy In August.We booked the return train when we arrived in Modane it was cheaper and direct coming back no changes.About 2hours 30 straight up to the first huts from there .Both nice we stayed at one after starting and the other for the last night then walked down and caught the trainWe stayed in huts and a hotel in Val d'Isere and Modane (better to get to the first hut than stay here if you can but we bought screw top gas at the walking shop about a mile up the road from the station for boiling tea and heating snacks) .Worth joining the Austrian Alpine club for the hut discounts.The guide was fine but drops down to the valley at Bessans to Bonneval sur Arc bit boring but nice cake shops and food.We caught the bus as far as it went up the Col d'Isere as my mate was not well (some bad water from the river)Val d'Isere is nice but hills all ski runs.wonder if it is better to use the free tickets that are available to get the train to Geneva then get the tickets as cost us about 84 for two going from the station at the airport but only about 50 euros going back to the airport

The reason I flew to Italy was that it was far quicker to get to Modane than through France; then at least.

Widdler
    Already got my AAC membership this year, off to Austria for two weeks at the end of the month!
    Think Lyon looks the easier / cheaper option for transfers to Modane as there's a direct train. Internet says there's no direct service to Geneva, you have to connect in Chambery.
    Cheers for the Post Restante advice. I'd like to get to a hut the day I arrive so logistics could take some figuring out but I'm sure I'll manage!