Thread: Amalfi coast

Hi,

I fancy doing a walking holiday on the Amalfi coast but don't like the prices quoted by the tour companies.I have planned to do it in October for about 7 days.Has anyone got flight and cheap accomodation ideas.I am based in the Newcstle area.

Thanks

We have done a bit of walking in the area. There are flights on low cost airlines from Newcastle and public transport in the region is good and cheap (though you will need to abandon any ideas you may have re manners when getting on buses or trains). Accommodation may be an issue as the area is very popular and the hotels are not short of business. We tend to just book a package and use public transport to get to and from our walks.

The walking is good and I put up this trip report a few years ago. Giovisis a good source of information and simple but accurate mapping. Once you get away from the roads you are unlikely to see many other walkers and you will need to carry plenty of water as there is very little available en route but the spectacular coastal views are worth the effort.

I've walked a fair bit around there, including the Sentiero degli dei, which is lovely. My wife comes from between Pompeii and Herculaneum.

I strongly recommend for accommodation the farmhouses known as Agriturismi (One agriturismo, two agriturismi). They offer simple bedrooms and normally excellent simple food. A place at Furore made their own wine too and it was beautiful.

Bear in mind that October is the rainiest month of the year. But it should be really nice! And not crowded at all. The Italians hate doing anything on their own, so all arrange to go on holiday to the seaside at the exact same time, which is not October.

If you don't speak Italian yet, you have plenty of time to learn. Buy "Teach yourself italian" and work on the first ten chapters. It's an exceptionally good book. I am considered a very good italian speaker and nearly everything I know comes from the first twenty-one chapters.

Italian maps are not very good.

By the way Italian public transport is good and cheap. The Circumvesuviano train runs from naples to Sorrento or Castelammare and there will be onward buses over the hills to wherever you want to go. A decent Agriturismo will probably do you a packed lunch.