Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long before you replace a map

Hello everyone and espcially to any of the old guard who remember me! I'm pretty sure I have a BMC map of the Lakes in the loft from about 2008. What age would you suggest that this would become obsolete. I'm sure there will be changes here and there but surely on a whole it won't have changed that much.

My basic set of 'Munro' maps were bought in the late 1980's. I've got newer copies of some (in multiples !!), but some are still in use as my only copy. Mountains don't change that much so mostly OK until the paper disintegrates.

However, a few years ago I took some non-hillwalking friends for a lowlevel walk near Kintail, to discover the path wasnae there anymore - much embarrassment as I checked the map to find it was 25 yrs old.

So I suppose it depends if you are relying on man-made features - bridges/paths etc. for your navigation, or more permanent natural features.

Well I think I'll climb into the loft get them down and save £15! Ta

Hi Ian! Welcome back

No probs using a 2008 map I'd have thought, and you can always annotate it if you do find differences.

Hope to see you on the hill!

Hi again Ian,

I have the BMC Lakes map that I used on my first OM meet back in Nov 2005. I still use it and I haven't noticed any problems. I suppose a few paths might be repaired/ engineered or the odd footbridge come or go, but on the whole changes in the hills are very slow.

Except perhaps with forestry coming and going but navigating that stuff is always 'wonderfully' fun.....

(And is prone to changes on time scales quite a bit faster than maps could anyway.).

Ah ha two familiar faces! Hi Matt and Kate!

Widdler

I usually do not follow paths and they aren't priority while planning the route. If I find a path on my way which makes some sense to be followed, I usually follow it. However, I do not trust it as the only navigation aid.

Bridges might be useful to know, but most of them (I suppose) do not change that often. Other than that... Fences are possible to climb over without damaging them and mountains do not change regularly. So I do not really care how old my maps are, but most of them are from this century anyway.

You can compare Google Maps, Bing maps or some online OS maps with your own and see if there's any difference. If there is... You can always make notes about new features.

Ultra King AT (http://AyrshireTiger.wordpress.com/)'s Avatar

I've still got a Ben Nevis/Mamores/Gencoe map from c1980. Might explain my pathless wanderings eh Kate?

Seriously though a 2008 map is going to be fine!

For hillwalking purposes I wouldn't change a map til it fell apart.

For most of them that will be a while after I do.

‹bermensch

About 15 years ago I went for a walk in the Southern Uplands with a friend whose OS 1:50,000 map, dating back to the late 1960s, we were relying on. I had my doubts at the start of the walk when we parked beside a reservoir that wasn't marked on the map, but all went well after that -- until we attempted to complete the circuit back to the car and ran into what seemed like hundreds of acres of forestry that also wasn't marked. It was a long day.

Ultra King

Welcome back Ian

Still going to football?

‹bermensch

I don't know how frequently the BMC maps are updated but, as other posters have mentioned, a seven year-old map of a mountainous area is unlikely to be much out out of date.

Ordnance Survey Landranger and Explorer maps are revised regularly and this information, together with the copyright date of the edition, is shown on the key. The extent of the revision is indicated by a code made up of a letter followed, in some cases, by a number:

1 When a sheet is fully revised the edition letter is advanced, e.g. from A to B, and the copyright date is changed.

2 When a sheet is revised with significant changes the edition letter is unchanged but a number is added or advanced, e.g. A to A1 or B2 to B3, and the copyright date is changed.

3 When a sheet is reprinted with minor changes the edition is underscored, e.g. A2 to A2, and the copyright date remains unchanged.

4 Note that the copyright date alone appears on the 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 maps published by the Automobile Association and Geographia.

5 Information about the latest edition of any Landranger or Explorer map may be obtained from the Ordnance Survey website (www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk).

Hugh

I grow old...I grow old, I shall wear the bottom of my trousers rolled. T.S. Eliot

‹bermensch

As has been said, the main difference I've found is that there's an impenetrable wall of timber that isn't shown on the map.

In fact on some of my oldest maps it's been planted and harvested and it's back to the way it looked like when they surveyed it originally (apart from the trenches and ugly roads).

I have started updating some of my 1980s maps but to be honest it's more because I can get the waterproof versions now (hate map cases). or because I've gone away on holiday and missed a map for a mountain I was planning to climb.

Mini Goon

I tend to retire maps after ten years, regardless of their condition. However,Chris Townsend recently wrote that when he walked the Scottish watershed in 2013 he took paper maps "some of them dating from the late 1970s". I'm not sure why, though.

I remember a cycling/hostelling trip in the Yorkshire Dales with my parents in the late seventies. My dad was using a map that was old then for navigation. Unfortunately, someone built subsequently built a large reservoir (Grimwith?) across our intended route, necessitating a long detour and much grumbling.

You could always check online with streetmap (or the many other equivalents out there) that there was nothing significantly changed.

Ultra King

I replaced mine after leaving it on top of the car driving away from Elterwater. Never noticed much difference to the map. Mine was bought as soon as it came out and replaced about 4 years later. The only difference was the cover was moved from the inside (the bit with the geology maps) to part of the map part covering the SW section. it had some changes on the geology/other information side but other than that nothing. BTW the original version had the cover on the back face IIRC which was folded outermost. Now they have the cover on the map side which is outermost.

Good map based on harveys mapping which IIRC is 1:50k scale mapping blown up to 1:25k as I was told.

‹bermensch

Not long ago I spoke with a guy in the Lakes and as his OS 25K map looked a bit different to mine I asked for a closer look. It had seven shillings and sixpence as the price on it. He was managing okay.

Thanks everyone! I got it out last night and had a paw over it! Only managed 2 games last year Addick, can't afford it!

Ultra King
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Pennington View Post

Thanks everyone! I got it out last night and had a paw over it! Only managed 2 games last year Addick, can't afford it!

I know what you mean

at least we have season tickets from £150 for next season