Thread: SIM uncomfortable over time

Initiate

I've used SIM's for a few years and have always found them comfortable on trips of up to 4 nights, including wild camping. I've just spent a week camping on a campsite however with a newly purchased 7.5cm SIM and after a few days my middle and lower back were killing me, despite being a side sleeper. I get the same discomfort (but much, much milder) when I occasionally get a lie in at home but after 4 hours on the SIM I'd be uncomfortable. I tried switching SIM's and messing about removing some air etc but by the end of the week rolling over in my sleep was painful enough to wake me up.

Anyone else had a similar experience and managed to come up with a solution?

‹bermensch

What is a SIM?

Hugh

Initiate

Self inflating mattress.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Westacott View Post

What is a SIM?

It's the Subscriber Identity Module in your mobile phone, that little removable electronic card which carries your unique identification and stores your personal data. Do keep up

Widdler

Here's a pic of them being used.

I sometimes get a stiff back if I have my flats over inflated, I find it more noticeable on my thicker mats like my 7DLX downmat, Alpkit Fat Airic or even my various NeoAirs.

Try it a bit softer and see how you get on, it's something you can test at home

Initiate

Nice pic. Who are the dinosaurs? Oh, it's the Premier League staff on their day out. No harm in a bit of fun, eh.

What sort of SIM are you using? I tend to find those with tubular designs, like Exped Down and Synmat, and the Thermarest NeoAir are much better than flat mats like the traditional Thermarest because they provide much better lumbar support. But as Shewie says they're at their most comfortable when slightly under-inflated.

‹bermensch

Those aren't self inflating though Kate, those are air mattresses.

I think with self inflating mats, as with most outdoor kit, you get what you pay for.

I have a therm-a-rest lux camp (or something) and it's amazing, no matter how many nights I'm on it for. Also have an exped SIMLite which isn't as comfy. I imagine Vango's budget mats are even less so.

Initiate

I tried the under inflated approach, it didn't seem to make any difference. I'm game to try either the tubular type or just a premium brand like Thermarest, but I can't really afford to get it wrong.

What am I likely to be better off with - something like the Thermarest Luxury Mapor a Neoair - or something else?

Well, I wouldn't ever buy a non tubular design again. The Exped Synmat might be worth looking at, though a bit bulkier and heavier than the NeoAir.

On a quick Google, I've found a thing by Easy Camp called the Hexa Mat. Taunton Leisure are selling them really cheap, which may mean they're shite, and they're definitely heavy, but at the price it may be worth a pop just to see if the tubular design could be the thing for you. I'm guessing there won't be any insulation in them so they're basically a tubular air bed, unlike the NeoAir or Exped mats which have some insulation in them.

They're not all created equal. I have an old T-Rest regular and by dint of being quite a bit thicker (and thus heavier) it's quite a bit more comfortable than my Ultralite.

Consequently the Ultralite only got used when I was being a weight (or space) weenie, hough it's still miles better than my ancient Expedition Karrimat. Now replaced by a Neo-Air, but they take a lot more puff and faff to get ready for bed and don't work so well in a chair kit.

Thus, if preferring a SIM consider a thicker one, or consider letting your lungs take the strain when setting up camp and get a Neo-Air, Synmat etc.

Pete.

‹bermensch

The kids use these from Sports Direct. Only £8 and chances are you can pop into a local store and pick one up.

A basic tubular one like Kate mentioned, in case you want to give one a whirl.

Initiate

I might give that option a bash to see if it sorts the problem. Thanks guys.

‹bermensch

Could it be that the ground was not level/smooth and that your back is being bent over a humped or hollowedbit of ground? It sounds like you've only had this problem on the one site? Try it again somewhere else?

Goon

I've now settled on having a very thin and cheap insulating mat on top of a tube mattress, which I find really comfy, evens out the ridges of the tubes. I would have recommended a Multimat Adventure Air until last weekend when it sprang a leak!