Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have tent fetish.......must upgrade!

Initiate

I have a couple of tents, and there is nothing wrong with either of them, but every year I have an overwhelming urge to upgrade to something better. This year I have been mostly wanting the MSR Hubba Hubba HP. I mostly car camp, but want to do some wild camping too, and realise this is far more tent than I need, but what the hell, I have a tent fetish!!

are they good tents, and worth the extra cash over other brands?

I too have a tent fetish, so you have friends on here

I used to own a Mutha Hubba, so not exactly the same but very similar. It was really easy to put up but it goes up inner first, so not ideal when it's pouring down with rain. The inner space was impressive because of the near vertical side walls so there was more usable space than other tents with similar footprints. The porches weren't that impressive.

At one point I was considering getting a Hubba Hubba HP but I ended up selling the Mutha Hubba and buying a Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT. Hilles take your fetish to the next level (I now own 3 cos I'm a sick man).

Initiate

Glad to know I'm not alone then!

I'm not too bothered about inner first pitching and actually quite like them. Although I have found that the gap between the inner and outer is alway less on the inner pitched designs compared with outer pitched ones....does that make much difference these days? Hilleberg tents are a little out of my range, especially with with the sort of camping I do.

Mini Goon

I have the carbon reflex 2 and love it. Many others hate it but I'm the one who is sleeping in it so who cares. The fly pitches very high from the ground which means the tent can be cold/windy but this also means it's well vented. It pitches inner first which is a bit of a pain in the wet. And the space to weight ratio cant be faulted.

Extra cash over what?

Personally I wouldn't buy it. For similar money I'd look at a Tarptent (various flavours), maybe a Laser Comp. Or some sort of tipi type tent like backpackinglight sell.

Widdler

Laser comp all the way. Lighter and from what I hear a bit better in the weather. The MSR seems to be the cycle tourers choice. Hilleberg if you can afford it.

Mini Goon

A guy with such a noble fetish should realise the total lunacy of buying just one tent and trying to press it into service in two different roles.

‹bermensch

Darra, what tent do you have at the moment? Would it be suitable for wild camping?

Sorry to hijack thread but I am selling nearly new MSR Hubba Hubba HP (I have two of these - don't ask why! and I really like them) for £275 inc p and p.

I have previously owned the one person MSR Hubba HP but did not find it had enough storage space.The MSR Hubba Hubba HP is palatial for one.

My tent which I am selling has been used for just 2 nights and is as new with no rips or tears and has green fly with white inner.

Looking for £275 inc p and p.

and while we are at it I have a nice BA Copper Spur UL3 - a mere £240...

But you should buy what you want; don't listen to all those who would detract you from the right path....which has resulted in me having a 'few' surplus tents

Initiate

Ben,

I actually have 3 tents. A Vango mirage 300 which I use when my son wants to come with me, and a Vaude odyssee L 2P for solo trips. I also bought a new TNF tadpole 2 dl which I have never used. Pitched it in the garden yesterday to see what its like, and I quite like it.

Ultimately I'm just being a bit of a twat, because the amount of times I actually get out under canvas either of the 3 I have are perfectly good enough.

‹bermensch

Have you tried taking your Vaude Odyssee wild camping?

Have you considered selling a tent to help fund this purchase?

Edit: Oh my god, it's 3kg. Maybe you could try it without the inner.

Edit, again: You could go for a much cheaper tent to start yourself off anyway - MSR are expensive!

‹bermensch
    So if we are all detracting from the original who wants to buy my Cuben Fibre Duomid and that only weighs 475gms. ???
    My friend has just bought the Hubba-Hubba HP and loves it. 3 season tho'.
    Is tent collecting a disease or a sad addiction?
    Is there any cure?

I've been told there is a cure - shaped tarp-style shelters with a variety of custom inners

‹bermensch
    O.K. Don't be shy; Which one???

Initiate

Hi Ben,

I'm up for selling them all if I can find the right one. I don't like the single Pole design like the laser comp etc, and much prefer a cross over pole semi geodesic design. I don't want to add to my collection, just get something that's real quality. I'm still thinking I might keep the tadpole. The odyssee is actually 2.6kg.

‹bermensch

I'd love to take the duomid off your hands Boos but I'm scared to ask how much, I dread to hear the asking price!

‹bermensch

Darra- a Terra Nova Voyager Superlite then?

The Hubba Hubba is basically a a single hoop tent which splits at the ends and has a pole over the top to increase internal space.

Anyway, plenty of decent tents to think about in this link;

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co....rson-tents-c26

Edit: Please note the low bathtub and high cut fly (to save weight and improve ventilation) on that (but not all) MSR tents, blown rain is a b***h.

‹bermensch
    If you don't ask, you don't get. There's a lot of shy people today; is it because it's a "holy" day???
    I guess you know what a pretty new cuben Duomid 'Might' cost !!!! You could even have my home made DPTE thrown in as a freebie!
    Surely it can't be that difficult to sell it with so many tent addicts frothing at the mouth, as soon as another shelter comes up for sale.
    Please someone, find me a nice cheap Unna or Soulo for my forthcoming trip.......

Initiate

I've been on the ultralight outdoor gear website quite a bit looking at what's available and know that most of the US designed tents do suffer from the high fly low bathtub sides, but thought the HP version didn't suffer with that problem. Not keen on the TN tents, and have heard the customer care is a bit shit too.