Thread: Ankle Support Suggestions

Mini Goon

Hi,

I need a few ideas for increasing my ankle support. The long story short is that I have twisted one ankle several times over the past 10 years and its left it prone to the injury, I'm also pretty clumsy which doesn't help!

The original cause of my twisitng my ankle a few times was that my arches have collapsed. However, since having a podiatrist making some inner soles my foot stability and comfort is much better but every now and again I go over on my ankle and have to spend a week or two out of my boots.

As far as I can see I have two options:

1) Wear an ankle support - but I can see this being uncomfortable in my boots

2) Wear hi leg military style boots although I think the jury's out on whether these would supply any further support to my ankle joint.

Just for further info, my current boots were fitted to me with my inner soles in them so they are a good fit and are very comfortable.

Can anyone lend some advice?

Thanks,

Craig.

Mini Goon

My ankles are rubbish, lots of pain on long walks but recently I've taken up running and that seems to have strengthened them somewhat. Might be worth considering?

Strengthen them up by using them is much better than propping them up (you can always prop them up as well once they're stronger). I'd ask a physio as to the best ways to go about that. One side-effect of propping them up is they don't get so strong...

(my left ankle has had 3 very bad sprains over the years, and the recovery rests have made it a little stiffer than the right, but using it has kept it strong)

Mini Goon

Exercise your ankles. The more support you use, the weaker the muscle/soft tissue becomes. Have a go at trail/ fell running. Hope this helps.

Mini Goon

I got myself a wobble board. It definitely strengthened my ankles.

If you are seeing a podiatrist I'd suggest asking him.

Ah yes, wobble board a good idea. I was introduced to them by a physio helping put my sprained ankle back in use. Lots of exercise in all planes of movement.

When I damaged ligaments in my ankleI was advised to strengthen it by standing on the bottom stair or a kerb with the balls of my feet taking the weight and the back half of my feet off the step and then to lower and raise my weight. Doing a session of 10 to start with and building it up .

‹bermensch

As suggested, exercises to strengthen the ankle are a good idea.

As far as boots are concerned most of the support comes from the heel cup, so a pair with a stiff heel cup may help. As your orthotics will raise your feet in the boot you may also want a pair with a deep heel cup though the risk is that a deep heel cup will rub the underside of your ankles

In fact it may be because your heel is raised that you don't get the support you normally would in your boots despite them feeling comfortable.

I would consider going back to your podiatrist with the boots and show him the problem. He may be able to tweak the insoles.

When I was wearing NHS supplied insoles they did this for me. Of course, being the NHS they glued a bit of wood to the underside of the insoles though to be fair it did seem to do the trick.

‹bermensch

+1 on building up ankle strength.

Mini Goon

Thanks,

Building up the strength it is then - I'll get a wobble board and go from there.

Unfortunately my feet are rubbish and have to be high up. A combination of collapsed arches and balls (ahem!) 15mm lower than my heel meant that until I had my inserts two years ago I had never had a heel strike. The stability the insoles have given me is remarkable - so much more comfort and control.

Goon

Here's a suggestion, though it goes against your natural inclination, and other recommendations, that you get boots.

For 40+ years I have worn boots for hiking but last summer I was persuaded to try trail shoes, and I was very surprised and impressed. They were all the things you hear about; light, comfortable, with good grip; both of my foot inside the shoe, and of the shoe on the ground. I felt much more agile or nimble, and I was able to place more of the sole & heel of the shoe on the ground than I had with boots. I never felt insecure or that I was going to twist or otherwise hurt my ankles

I wore them all summer on footpaths, bridleways, minor roads and tracks - trails, no less. I have already started wearing them this year. They're not even a major brand, just something cheap from Sports Direct, sort of part way between trainers and trail shoes, to try out the idea

So you could try that; get a cheap pair of trail shoes or something, and see how you go, and if it doesn't work, you can always wear them as everyday casual shoes.

Mini Goon

So wobble board arrived yesterday and its much harder than it looks, and quite a lot of fun - just need a large padded room to use it in! We'll see how it goes and I'll also try the trail shoe idea - I wear cheap karrimor trail shoes for everyday use anyway so doing a few walks in them to build up my ankle won't be a problem.

Goon

Hi Craig - which wobble board did you get? After the suggestions in this thread I've also been thinking of getting one, not really for strengthening my ankles in particular, but for my core muscles in general.

Let us know how you get on!

Mini Goon

If ankles are weak only wobble a tiny bit at first and build up very gradually over several weeks. Tendons take longer to strengthen than muscles and you don't want to aggravate any prior injuries.

I chose a round wooden board - they looked better made than the plastic ones.

There is a reflex loop between when your foot lands at an unexpected angle and when you ankle muscles contract to support your foot. A timely reflexprotects the ankle from injury. Use of a wobble board tends to improve the reflex action.

Mini Goon