Thread: Zephyros v Vango Banshee

Mini Goon

Evening,

I'm currently debating whether to go for the Wild Country Zephyros or the Vango Banshee.

Both in the 2 man size category.

Are they much of a muchness or is there a clear winner?

Cheers.

I've never seen the Banshee but I got a quick peek around a Zephyros 2 at Tiso - my first and overwhelming impression was that the porch space was very small and not much use - I wouldn't want to try cooking in it.

‹bermensch

Vango have a new Zenith 200 model too, Wild Man. Similar size, weight etc but the main pole seems to be more central v the Banshee. More of a TN / Scarp copy I guess, and looks like a direct rival to the Zephyros.

Initiate

If you are more than 6ft, you may find the Banshee too short. The Z2 porch is small, but you can cook in it OK.

Mini Goon

I'd go for the Zephyros despite the small porch.

That said i wouldn't what to use ether of them for two people.

I'd also rather go for a Wild Country Coshee 2 over the Banshee.

My Zephyros has had it already, the eyelets on the webbing are worn/fraying due to it (the pole) being too taut, and the zip came off due to getting continually snagged, it got caught good and proper during my last trip, all I could do was pull it off, so now its no longer double zipped. I don't think that tent can be repaired, I'll have to bin it I think, not impressed with that tent at all. I'd get a Vango they're better quality. Not a Banshee though one of these:

http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/2-person-t...helix-200.html

Mini Goon

I agree with Masterluke, my experience with the Zephros was similar, about 6 outings before i relegated it to the cupboard for "spares", the list of faults to long to list here, in fairness that tiny coffin the Laser Comp (made also by Terra Nova obviously) continues to live on, albeit its very rarely used.Neither i hasten to add are my tent of choice now though.

My "family" hiking tent is a second hand Vango, man they things are built to last and i continue to be surprised every time i take it out how well made and thought out it is.

Vango is perhaps not the sexiest name in tents but they are hugley underated IMO.

Mini Goon

Hrrmmm. Okay. I'm after a 2 man tent to take wild camping. I had narrowed it down to these two but now I'm not too sure... Any recommendations for a tent, please?

Thanks.

‹bermensch

Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo.

1.1k-1.2k~

decent porch on each side

well made

bags of space inside for arguing with the other half.

I use a Banshee 200, but as a single sleeping option. Porch is small - not much use for cooking but good for storing boots and other small-ish bits. Rucksack lives inside with me.

This format suits me well. There is more than enough room for one person + stuff and, when packed up, it is small and light enough for my needs. I guess there are smaller and lighter options out there, and some too with better porches. However, I bought mine for sub-£100 and felt it the best buy for my budget at the time.

James

After a lot of searching for a "budget" lightweight tent I opted for the Banshee 200.

There are a number of good reviews on YOUTUBE for the Banshee.

Their ad claims it can be put up in 7 minutes ( after the first time when connecting the inner is a bit fiddly). I put the tent up yesterday to air and it did take just 7 minutes beginning to end.

It seems well made and robust. Good value for the money.

Widdler
    Sorry, bit of an old post. I own both tents. Banshee is ok. Porch isn't huge and I find the internal tensioning straps a pain. Opening the velcro for the straps ripped the netting on first outing which meant using my not so hot sewing skills.

The Zephyros is lighter. A bit smaller on the interior but since I just share with the wife this isn't a problem. Wouldn't want to share with a stranger... Porch is big enough to store boots and bits and bobs and cook. Rucksacks come in the tent but are used as pillows anyway. Haven't had any quality problems like the others

Personally I'd go Zephyros because of lightness.

Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by masterluke View Post

My Zephyros has had it already, the eyelets on the webbing are worn/fraying due to it (the pole) being too taut, and the zip came off due to getting continually snagged, it got caught good and proper during my last trip, all I could do was pull it off, so now its no longer double zipped. I don't think that tent can be repaired, I'll have to bin it I think, not impressed with that tent at all. I'd get a Vango they're better quality. Not a Banshee though one of these:

http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/2-person-t...helix-200.html
    did you ever get one of these? can't see any reviews on it - what's your take on it?

Not exactly on topic sorry but another tent I've looked at is one from Quechua, v small porch though but seems fairly reasonable -http://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhike...d_8245650.html. Bizarrely the video on the page seems to be for another tent...!