Thread: Talkback: The Ten Best Outdoors Jobs

Mini Goon
    Are we allowed to plug the subject that Julie did?

http://www.falmouth.ac.uk/performancesportswear

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

I suppose. But Julie studied at Northumbria and Derby...

That's a really cool article, thanks. Always good to hear backgrounds of people and how they got into their jobs. There's one career that was missing, though, and that's the 'outdoor gear academic'! There's not many of us, and I suppose we were mentioned under gear testers, but we do a bit of everything: design/technical consultancy; lab testing of existing products, prototypes, and materials; even a few human trials if you are lucky. It's a strange little niche between textiles/performance clothing, sports science, and design but it's pretty good and you see the inside of the outdoor industry and what drives it. It is good to see that there are a lot of people in the industry very keen on the outdoors themselves (crucial in my mind when designing or making kit) and they're a thoroughly nice bunch too.

Mini Goon
    Captain: well observed for Julie, but if you scan both those Uni's subject offerings you will see that neither offers PSD. Hence my recommendation for a subject plug (especially as people interested in studying this, won't know where to find it from reading this article)!

Mini Goon
    Mr Fuller: where are you studying this? Are you one of the Leeds PC team? Have our paths crossed before?

Charles, you must have low expectations of your potential students if you think they won't think to Google 'performance sportswear design course'... In which Falmouth features as 7 of the first 10 hits for me....

Yes Charles, I'm one of Mark's students. I met you at Outdoor in 2012 and at Lancaster's conference in (I think) 2010. I will be at Outdoor this year.

Mr (Matt) Fuller.

Sorry Charles; I seem to be a unusually grumpy at the moment.

Oooh look! It's our Paddy

For people who like mountains (presumably OM-ers do, by and large) and also like steam locomotives (and what boy doesn't?) the ideal outdoors job would be driver or fireman on the Snowden Mountain Railway.

Oh yeah... I see that I am on ze list!

Ed contacted me a while ago about this, and I was too busy to get back in touch to see what it was all about. I guess it's the 'Google' version of me. Some bits are fairly accurate!

Widdler

Hi Captain, unfortunately the Derby course doesn't exist any more, but the Fashion Design Degree at the University of Northumbria is still up and runninghttp://www.northumbria.ac.uk/sd/acad...fashiondesign/ you must have a good memory!

The Falmouth course is a BA rather than the MA that I studied, but I think this makes it more accessible. the info for the Falmouth course is herehttp://www.falmouth.ac.uk/performancesportswearCharles lectures on the course so for anyone wanting to go in via that route then it's worth a look or a chat with Charles.

I know plenty of other very successful and brilliant sportswear designers that came to their job via product design degrees, or from the technical side of things - garment technology and product development and some that got to where they are via apprenticeships, or from working in the Outdoors in another field - marketing, sales, mountain guide. In essence the key is to have a passion for and understanding of sportswear clothing, fabric and design and have some good examples of your work that show that you understand what you're talking about. If you can do the job then the path that you take to get there is a minor detail.