Thread: tent for family cycle touring?

Ultra King

2 adults and 1 toddler planning cycle touring staying at campsites. Using child trailer and ortlieb panniers to carry everything. What tent is best?

I've never cycle toured with a tent and new baby complicates things. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Price? No idea but it's whatever is needed, but cheap as is wise. I realise it can be a mistake to go really cheap. Reckon vango might be a good brand for this. Hilleberg too but expensive.

Initiate

I have used my Terra Nova Voyager for cycle touring. Fine for two adults, but would be very tight squeeze with a toddler. Also not cheap.

There are a couple of factors to consider. How much weight would you be prepared to cycle with? How old is your child? Something small that would be OK with a baby, would probably be intolerable with a toddler.

We use our Hille Kaitum 3 for cycle touring. Usually just the two of us in it but we're space-lovers and it genuinely is big enough for 3, and we've used it with our daughter on-board for wild camping (at age 7+).

Having two decent doors and porches makes things a bit more flexible, and full sitting height throughout the inner means you can space yourselves out inside when trapped by weather and/or bugs.

Assuming your online name is descriptive rather than ironic, another nice point is that the inner-ends are vertical and the inner is well over 2 m long, so plenty of space to lie without worrying about a foot pushing the inner in to the outer.

Of course it costs a small fortune, but we've never regretted having it.

Pete.

Ultra King

Nice photo. Your recumbent looks heavily loaded. What panniers? Just got ortlieb back roller classics for my hybrid and thinking that tent on top with a bar bag might be enough. Plus partner with same panniers, rack bag and I'll be towing a Burley trailer with some kit in. My partner is considering getting a Burley cargo trailer instead of panniers.

Oooh! A whole new hobby to gear up for. I'm happy but going to be poor for some time.

Initiate

Try a ligthwave t20 trek or trail xt good size and xt porch for cooking and storage in bad weather brilliant quality is excellent only about 2.8kg all in, I use mine for wild camping in all seasons wit the mrs and me dog , my little one stays with nanna at the moment. On sale in ultra light outdoor gear at the mo, lifetime guarantee etc, quality as good as hilleberg , ive got a hilleberg akto so am able to compare quality. My mates all have lightwaves t10 treks. You can get a semi geodesic version too. Carol the company owner and designer is great for email ing and he will get back in touch with you. I also have a lightwave f2 ultra mountain tent for scottish winter and its better than a tn quasar for quality of materials. Sean winter mountain leader and keen mountian biker

Goon

I would say something like my nigor wickiup3, a new take on the sl3 from golite. Small pannier friendly main pole and large size for two adult + 1

Goon

Take a look at the Macpac Citadel..Excellent choice of tent with more than enough space for two +one+ gear .Might be a little expensive but cheaper than the Hille...If your using a trailer you could manage to take a larger and heavier tent.Something like one of the Vango tunnel tents with extended porch get good reviews..

Your recumbent looks heavily loaded. What panniers?

The 'bent in shot is Roos' with 55 litre 'bent specific Radical Banana bags still on board (though unloaded). The pile of panniers centre left is mine, bike they were on out of shot, Ort Rear Roller Plus at the back and Sport Packer Plus that go under the seat (though back then it was probably a pair of Altura Orkneys rather than the Sport Packers, but whichever, front/universal size rather than rear big ones).

We're not weight weenies, and could reduce our packing volume a fair bit! Having said that, the Kaitum is not unreasonably chunky, especially for the amount of space you get in it when pitched.

Just got ortlieb back roller classics for my hybrid and thinking that tent on top with a bar bag might be enough. Plus partner with same panniers, rack bag and I'll be towing a Burley trailer with some kit in. My partner is considering getting a Burley cargo trailer instead of panniers.

Our tent travels inside the panniers, very easy with the long 'bent-specific bags, so though we've got a lot of packing volume pretty much everything goes inside it (the rack is used for quick and dirty overloads like incidental shopping rather than standard luggage).

Not toured with a trailer, but the more I look at them the more they make a lot of sense, especially if you've got at least one for your bairn. For general touring cargo the one-wheel ones like the Yak BoB seem to be a good answer. Where they fall down is if you need to manhandle the bikes much.

Pete.

Mini Goon

I've got a Laser Space 2, which other people have suggested is a good cycle-camping tent. It would probably be fine as long as the wee one stays wee-ish, although how much interior space you need may differ from us. We've got it because of the height, which is a boon as you get older/less flexible.

It packs down pretty small, as well. I wouldn't take it for high camps -we would use our Nallo, then, but it's fine for low level camping.

Ultra King

Pete- we'd get a Burley 2 wheel cargo trailer. Our Burley child trailer stays upright even if the bike is laid.down flat. This is similar to their cargo trailers. Also read single wheels affect handling in the way 2 wheel, hub hitched trailers don't. Can't remember the details but decided they're the only trailer type I'd get.

http://www.burley.com/page_454_119/nomadsuptmsup

Is the one we like the look of. My lass is threatening to get one but I've got this newbie urge to try it the traditional pannier way. If we get this nomad trailer the hitch matches the child trailer so we can swap pulling roles between the trailers. That way weight of pull is shared.

One thing I've learnt and that is hilly days with trailer are tiring. I'm not cycling fit these days. Worried pannier loads with child trailer will be too much without training for it. Plus need to get used to how the weight feels especially how it affects stopping distance with the disc brakes.

‹bermensch

Hi Tall PC,

If you are on a budget you might check the Vango Pulsar 300. Not the lightest but acceptable for cycling and enough space for you three.

Ultra King

Vango always seems to have decent tents at reasonable prices. With others making the lightest or the strongest with big price tags Vango comes along with second tier tents at less than half the price but solid and good enough. If you want true lightweight tarp or spend lots. IF not a slightly heavier but durable Vango might do.

Just counted up, somewhere in the house there are 5 Vango tents so guess I'm a bit of a fan.

‹bermensch

I've used my Nallo 3 GT for cycle touring. Monster porch (big enough for people to sleep in)and only about 2.7 kg. Pretty compact, too. It needsa small mortgage to buy one, but it'll keep going forever.

I would think that for you,the single vast porch would be better than the two smaller onesof the Kaitums - which I also looked at before going for the Nallo. You can all sit around in the porch if it's wet- there's plenty of headroom for this.

Mini Goon

Hi

I've a Hilleberg Nallo 4 GT in the classifieds, which would be ideal for 3, and would leave a huge porch for cooking, your gear etc.

Simon

‹bermensch

Not really budget but I use a 6P floorless nylon tipi for doing multiple day hikes with family.