Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watches

‹bermensch

Hi, all I want is a basic watch maybe with an alarm, maybe, that actually lasts. I've owned a £160 Ellesse and a £330 Tisot watch with compass and altimeter etc. The first lasted 18 months and the Tissot only lasted 2 years 9 months. Both were sent back for repair. For the Ellesse I was quoted £120 and for the Tissot £180. I din't get either repaired.I feel jinxed

Anyway all I want is a watch waterproof or highly water resistant and I don't need all the technology. I don't like the look of Casio watches. I have seen the Bloxworth watches and they are gorgeous but they are large and I have small wrists so things like that and Sunnto also don't fit well. To be honest I have sometimes gone for a womans watch because I have slim wrists. Nice clear dial and luminous might be useful.

Thanks.

not a watch wearer, but the OH is. She's had 2 watches in the last 20 years. both Timex. The most recent more than 5 years old and still fine( 2 batteries and one strap...) Outside working every day. Seem pretty good considering they were bpth inder £30.

‹bermensch

Ah. Good old Timex. Takes me back to my teens. I'll have alook. I don't bothera lot with watches myself relying on my mobile phone or my internal clock which is pretty good. I think I'd like one though before my next Lake District trip.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

I usually go for cheap digital watches, and it's the resin strap that gives up first. I have a collection of old Casio digital watches that all work perfectly, only they have no strap... I think it's three now. When you pay £7 for a watch, it's hardly worth buying a new strap...

I once splashed a 'massive' £70 on a Casio analogue watch with metal strap, but that failed due to the back seal allowing sweat into the thing, resulting in a corroded quartz and mechanical movement.

I'm currently wearing a Skagen watch I was given. It will need a new leather strap soon.

I also have a Brio digital stretchy strap watch I picked up in a pound store...

I also buy women's watches because I have feeble wrists, and, anyway, can't stand the fashion for having a damned great clock on your wrist...

On my anecdotal evidence, buy a digital Casio, but buy a few new straps when you do...

Initiate

Look at the basic end of the Timex Expedition range, e.g. this sort of thing

Cheap-ish, small, analogue.

I know you hate casio but this is my personal favourite. Costing me about 50p a year...

‹bermensch

Thanks Mike. Anyone know if themilitary style watches are worth the extra expense? I'm thinking more for the luminous dial if I decide I actually need that.

Animal, such as the Zepher - last a long time (10+ years), not too big or expensive. Velcro straps are a personal thing but I like them - comfy, secure and easy to replace.

I used to wear those cheap Casios for work in a harsh, wet environment - lasted well.

I just use a cheap £20 Timex Indiglo jobby, I'm not bothered if it gets wrecked or lost then. Keeps good time, slim profile and does what it needs to do.

I've thought about buying a Suunto or such like a few times, but if one of the gadgets fails then it's £300 down the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cynic View Post

Thanks Mike. Anyone know if themilitary style watches are worth the extra expense? I'm thinking more for the luminous dial if I decide I actually need that.
    You mean this:

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/tabid/62...0/Default.aspx

I reckon they'd be pretty reliable. I had one of those straps for years, if the watch is half as good it'd be great.

I'd vote for Casio but you've already said no.

Another vote here for Timex...£25-ish. Expedition model with light. Only thing is that it has quite a loud tick.

Mini Goon

I have this Timex and its a nice watch, not too big and very comfortable on the fabric strap

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0056DC8C...5151_M3T1_dp_1

Ultra King

I've very skinny wrists and the Casio straps fit me. I've had one that has lasted 18yrs and still going. (G-Shock model). All I've had to do is change the strap, the battery and that only 4 times.

I use a ~??20 Casio, analogue with a digital display for date, stopwatch etc. Strap was hopeless so replaced with a Velcro one got for a couple of quid on eBay.

Genuinely waterproof (as in wear it surfing) , comfy and light and... It tells the time! I've got an altimeter one which can be handy on technical navigation but 99% of the time really isn't worth it.

Pete.

Initiate

Another vote for the cheapie digital brigade - and I have a collection like CP where the straps break. My current everyday watch is 3 years old and going strong. I have no idea what make it is, the writing has worn off, but it was £10 or so from an Argos sale

‹bermensch

I like Casio watches, but I'd also recommend the Timex Expedition watches on the basis my young son has had one for about four years and it's survived all he could throw at it, which has been quite a lot -- gone through washing machine, dropped and stood on numerous times and generally abused.

Ahoy Major

Slim wrists myself and i rate the Timex Expedition from;

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/2838940.htm

The velcro strap does the job very well( i mtb with mine as well), if you are after a non velcro strap i can recommend one fromhttp://natostraps.com/very strong!

cheers

John

‹bermensch

I use the cheaper of my two Tag Heuer watches on the hill (I know,I know).

And even though they are as rugged as a rugged thing I have managed to bust the strap slipping on my a**se (quite violently) and also have had the divers ring come off.

Having said that, the watch itself has performed flawlessly over the last 20 years otherwise and though there are scratches on the metal bit the face has a sapphire glass cover which refuses to get scratched.

As I pay for a proper battery replacement and pressure testing every five years or so (they usually replace the o-ring at the same time) it has remained waterproof and I can quite happily swim with it on.

The luminous hands on both mine are of limited use as any miniscule ambient light makes the hands hard to see.

It's an expensive solution and the proper battery replacement cost about £80 last time though they did re-attach the divers ring as well as effectively they do a mini service.each time.

So, if you want a watch that you can rely on to always work even if you abuse it and are willing to pay the price, then I can recommend a TAG.

But I suspect a cheap (semi disposal) digital watch may be a better solution most of the time.

‹bermensch

I know you're not keen on the Suuntos, but FWIW, I bought my Xlander from a mate at least ten years ago and it's been bombproof. The batteries last at least 2 years and are dirt cheap, easily changeable. I used to use £10 Casios and found them very good too, waterproof to 50 m, with a light, alarm (much more audible than the Suunto's) and weigh very little, very compact too. I wore them farming, so they withstood much bashing!

Hi

People keep buying me watches for Christmas, they all last for years in my sock drawer because I don't wear a watch. If you do, people expect you to be at places at specific times and that's too much for me.

‹bermensch

There are two reasons I don't like the Casio watches. The first is their looks but my main gripe with them and the Suuntos is the plethora of buttons and functions. Tissot managed to cram more or less the same functionality into a watch with just 2 buttons to control all the settings and a touch 'screen'. Much simpler, much less to remember.

I looked round for Timex and Animal watches last night. The only Timex watches I found in a jewellers were for kids and no Animal watches anywhere.

So John B I'll try Argos and thanks.Fatwalker I love quality watches and would like to buy one but given my previous history with moderately expensive watches I'm reluctant to step up to the price of a Tag Heuer however cool they look.