Thread: Knowledge of a specific area of the GR 11?

Widdler

This late August I am beginning a GR11 walk in St. Jean Pied de Port with an intention to visit friends in SJPDP. I will then walk the Camino (French) to where it joins the old GR11 at Col de Bentarte. I intend to follow the old GR11 to visit the Roman Tower remains on Urkulu. From here I would like to walk to the Cave Arpea (Harpea)for a visit. Then I would like to continue on back down to the GR11 route by accessing the piste that runs south past Mendizar. On my maps there are no paths running southeasterly from Arpea, but Google Earth shows what may be vestiges of paths leading in that direction. It looks like only about a kilometer from the cave to the piste that runs across the heights. Once on that piste it is a direct line back to the old GR11 on my way to camp at Irati. From Irati I can go to the current GR11 where it meets at Abodi and then on to Ochagavia.

Is anyone here familiar enough with that area to tell me if this is a practical diversion?

‹bermensch

From memory , that area high up is quite grassy and easily walkable. It looks that way on Google Earth. I am a bit confused by your 'old' and 'current' GR11. When I walked it about 5 years ago it went through Irati. When did it change?

Widdler

Pedro, It now goes through Burgete, Orbara, Hiriberri ,and Ochagavia according to the new Cicerone Guide, due to be published May 15th. My guess is that whoever dictates the routingwanted to eliminate the section where the GR65 and GR11 shared the same path.

New GR 11 routing is in orange. My variations (Old GR11) are in red. Question, did you overnight in Irati? And if so, did you camp and where? The older Cicerone guide is pretty vague about that stopping point. I am bringing a tent, and don't intend to carry more that two days rations at any point with plans to eat at Refugios and villages if possible.

Tom

‹bermensch

Tom

I've sent you a message.

Widdler

Pedro

Got it, thanks looks nice.