Thread: Picos De Europa

Mini Goon

Just looking for general info about the Picos De Europa. I'm looking to go for a week or so walking and wild camping.

Does anyone have thoughts on routes, travel to and from, supply availability, guidebook recommendations etc.

Thanks.

As far as I am aware 'wild camping' is not allowed in the Picos De Europa' - and they enforce it too.

Initiate

Walking or climbing? I was there last year walking. There are good 1:25k maps available which shows refuges and campsites. As cathyjc says, wild camping is definitely out. Water is a problem too, depending on when you're going. If high season, it's very busy. Refuges are crowded and hotels full (we booked in January!). Fantastic area though.

Mini Goon

I've heard you can wild camp above 1600m, dusk till dawn and if you try to be discreet, away from roads etc. you should be fine. Failing that is camping outside the refuges allowed? Would a bivi bag maybe be a better option?

Walking, I have this map which seems pretty good. Looking at the map water does appear to be scarce, might require some careful route planning. I hope to go around late may/early june. I'd like to avoid the expense of hotels/refuges but if all else fails I could live with staying at campsites.

Thanks

‹bermensch

Buy the book- far more info than we can supply. 25% off til tomorrow!

picos

‹bermensch

Camping outside refugees is allowed - well the ones I visited anyway.

Can get there many ways including - fly/ferry to Santander and then bus or fly to Oviedo/Giron and then bus.

Goon

Wild camping is actually permitted from dusk to dawn above 1400m. As well as campsites there are also "zona de acampado" which are areas where camping is permitted that are not campsites. There is one near the Lagos de Covadonga, another near Cain that I know of. In addition there are quite a few refuges that are not guarded which can be used for free. Not sure of camping outside refuges as I have never seen tents outside them.

Initiate

This is the map we used. It gives water sources which is useful. Yes, we saw some people camping outside refuges, but were told it was only allowed because the refuge was full.

Geology is mainly Limestone - hence lack of water. Temps can easily reach 30C in summer so water is an issue, even for day trips. I know - it's the only place I've ever had heat exhaustion - we couldn't carry enough H2O.

Goon

The editorial alpina map is quite good but lacks topographic détails. I used the 2008 edition and there are quite a few errors.A better map at 1:25 000 is the Adrados editions which can be purchased in the shops in Potes, Cangas de Onis etc. I was last there 3 yrs ago and a local guide told me it was the best map for the Picos.

Mini Goon

Thanks everyone. A mix of campsites, refuges and maybe a wild camp may be the way to go.

Does anyone have suggestions for particularly nice areas/walks?

I've got a week off at the end of May, would this be a good time to go?

Depending on the particular weather this last winter, there may still be quite a bit of snow around in May in the Picos.

Widdler

Hay Evan

I'm going to Picos too... Only for 3 days We will be in Fuente Dé.

I will do only day hikes though, no camping