Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight leather boots for narrow feet

Ultra King

I've got narrow feet and need new boots a bit more durable than innov8 boots or shoes. Will be carrying heavy child carrier plus child and gear and my innov8 boots just collapsed under the weight.

Looking for a pair of proper boots but must be light enough to not give me a shock with the weight increase. Years of fell shoes means I'm used to little weight on my feet. Thinking Zamberlan are good and narrow. What do you think/recommend?

I think "narrow" isn't enough to go on... depends where they're narrow, front to back and top to base.

So, off to the shops and get trying!

Pete.

Alongside Zamberlan, Aku is also worth a look, but as Pete says, you really just need to try a bunch of different brands till you find ones that work for your particular foot shape.

Mini Goon

I was going to post Zamberlain before I opened the page after reading the title but II'm not going to bother now.

Goon
    Alt-Berg will probably. be worth a look, they do a specifically narrow fit in their range.

Goon

Keep shopping around and trying

also try Altberg 'Malham' boots

Mini Goon

Agree with the above. Depends much on the exact shape of your feet. My feet are wider halfway where my little toes are, and then my big toes are really.. big. So kind of half moon shape. Overall still narrow feet, but not all narrow shoes fit me well. Lowa's work well for me.

Ultra King

Narrow heel but the instep is just to the narrow side of medium I think.

I got Lasportive boots because at the time the last was a narrow one and Zamberlan went very quiet back then. Plus I had two pairs of scarpa SLs standard width that were bought one after the other that failed spectacularly and were never quite as good a fit as my very first pair of proper boots - Scarpa SLs - that lasted nearly 10 years!! The two pairs after that first pair were bought because of the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and the old scarpas fitted great. Reckon they changed the lasting. Plus the soles on them split across the instep after 6 or 9 months.

My boot wish is the grippiness of my old (and worn out) montrail highlanders with the durability of proper boot soles and uppers. I much prefer lightweight fell shoes (montrail highlanders were the best i have ever tried for fit and longevity being the only fell shoes to last more than 3-4 months_).!

Mini Goon

I echo the other posts, it is always best to try on. If you can find a good stockist of Asolo boots I think they come up narrow- definitelytoo narrow for me anyway!

Ultra King

Don't like Asolo my last ones failed in 6 months. Had to wear sealskins with them.

Ultra King

Of course I'll try them on, I'm just looking forideas and suggestions to look up reviews on before I go to Ambleside to buy them. Plenty of stores there and a lot of brand choice. For example Meindls seem highly rated but are they a bit wide in fit? Zamberlan are Italian fit, i.e narrow from what I've read. Didn't know Alberta do narrow versions too. However I once had a pair of their winter boots 20 plus years ago and they felt like divers lead boots. They were very old fashioned boot makers backthen I think.

Any other suggested brands?

Scarpa are, IME wide in the forefoot (which is why I like them). They're reasonably narow at the heel and fairly narrow in the middle, again fine by me as I have almost gothic arches and consequently not much foot at all in the middle at the level of the sole. That has caused some friend to hate them as far too narrow, astheir feet have the wider bits in the middle.

I've just finally killed off a pair of Scarpa shoes after 8 years that were very good. I'm waiting for someone to have an offer on the Zen Pro as a replacement.

Ultra King

Have you had scarpa boots before those? Didn't they change their lasting some time ago (10+ years ago)? They fitted me well once but I'm convinced they changed and they started putting out inferior product.

Goon

Alberta? Do you mean Alt-berg? They do various models and a bigger range of widths than most makers. They are not dirt cheap, but fair enough for the quality you get and comparable to other good makes

You do this thing for pleasure, so it is worth getting comfortable boots

I have tried Asolo and rejected them because they were too narrow, so they might suit you

‹bermensch

I have very narrow heel and midfoot but need a moderately wide forefoot because I have curved feet. By that I mean my big toe is further inwards than the inside of my heel if you were to put a ruler along the inside of my feet.

I find Mammut a very good fit . They have narrow heels and mid foot and a wider forefoot..

Don't discount the width of the mid foot of your boots when trying them on as if you get them too wide there you can get some very uncomfortable creases forming across the top of your feet.

Scarpa fit and lasting... I've been using Scarpa boots since the back end of the 80s. My big winter leathers are still going since 1987 (not the first sole, and not the first pair of Yetis keeping the uppers in good condition) and since then I've had lightweight boots, two sets of Telemark boots (first pair of those in '97, supplemented by heavier ones in 2000) and 4 assorted pairs of shoes. They all fit me well (though TBH I've only worn the Sparks once for about half an hour which isn't much of a test).

I've tried various others on in shops at times too (inlcuding tight rock-boots), and variation has been little enough that I can confidently buy Scarpa 43 without trying them on. I know they use different lasts and things do change, but in my personal case not significantly with any of the things I've tried.

Mileage may, of course, vary...

Pete.

Ultra King

It was the creases at the flex point of the feet that caused my Asolo Flames to start leaking after 6 months. I started wearing sealskin socks with them but the creases became holes in the fabric of the boots and it was game over really. Plus the sole wore down so despite the sales blurb about the asobrake grip pattern that makes the wet downhill so grippier they became a dodgy as walking downhill on ice when walking down a grassy path. At about the same time (9 months IIRC) the midsole collapsed inwards and they became unstable to walk in. I paid full whack for them too under the gold promise of the reputable retailer I got measured and recommended them by. I had two recommendations the flames and the powermatic then some number I can't remember. On the trained fitter's advice I went with the best fitting. Wish I'd got the leather powermatics.

Alberta? Phone typo I meant Altberg. Had a pair of them in stiff winter boots. Wore them twice then they went mouldy in the cupboard as I couldn';t bear the break in period's pain. Severe hole in the heel. Was 25 plus years ago so the brand might have modernized their boots a lot in that time.

I'm looking at Mammut but a friend with flat and wide feet got recommended them and they fit perfectly. i always thought they were wider fit. IIRC Mammut took over another brand a few years back, what brand was that??

I'd also suggest having a look at the Altberg Yan Tan, it uses an interesting last that they reckon caters for people who don't fit more commonly available lasts.

It might also be worth looking at the adidas outdoor mids which have quite a snug fit to them and are, I think, more supportive than inov-8s.

Mini Goon

Tall PC, I think Mammut took over Raichle.

Goon

Yes, Raichle were taken over by Mammut