Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talkback: New Satmap Active 12 Available Sping 2014

Widdler
    Is this one any more waterproof than the old version? !!450? Way toooo much!

What are the alternatives for 450?

On the one hand, fair comment, but on the other a viable alternative (which I will be taking) is not spending the 450...

It's not that what it does isn't useful, it's just I can find my way about the hills without it and then spend it on something else I don't need...

Pete.

They are rather lovely....

...but my 103 etrex does it pretty well; not quite the same....and for sparkly love clarity...Viewranger (or my plethora of other mapping packages) on Android are just as lubbly...

...battery life notwithstanding,..

Ultra King

Nice gadget if you have plenty of money. If not you'll get by without it. Waterproof maps or use a mapping program and print route on waterproof paper instead.

I bought a garmin gps60, the old quad helix antenna one without mapping. First few trips i had it out and kept looking at it. Then i left it clipped to my rucksack and looked at it less often. Later on i kept it in my rucksack lid pocket, then left it in the car and now at home dont know where. Ive just never really needed them on the hills. Use my phone gps in the car or when walking in a town or city to find some street.

I am tempted by a cycling gps for touring and tracking routes though.

shouldn't it be compared to a proper smartphone which, in all likelihood, costs in excess of this. Aren't the choices the same? Simple,phone or all singing and dancing phone?

once you add extra power supply and some ruggedness to a phone doesn't the price start to diminish a bit?

450 doesn't seem all that bad to me. Price of a decent iPod, or phone, or tablet, or laptop, netbook and all that extra gadgetry we love to have.

fair points; but can I call my Mum on it ?

Initiate

Proper smartphone = motorola moto g. Price just over 100 last time I looked. Add an Aquapac or similar for say 20. Quite a bit less than 450......

Add proper mapping software and maps. Add ruggedised case - plastic bag won't be comparable - and extra power supply and touch screen gloves that work through the casing Plus extra power for using it as a phone.

suddenly all the add ins cost rather a lot.

Lets see, 50k mapping for the whole country from viewranger is now, post the recent major reductions, 89. External batteries ~50 ish? MotoG about 120, case 30/40.

About 150 premium but then the sat map may well be better for some conditions/use cases.

The one thing the motoG (and other smart phones) would have is a much better screen than even this. Think you could reasonably expect a better resolution for this sort of money.

Widdler

From what I've read I can't see how the Satmap 12 is 200 better than the Satmap 10.

I was tempted to buy the Satmap 10 but then it dawned on me that I'm due a phone upgrade in a month or two so I'll be using my old iphone 4 with a waterproof case as a dedicated GPS

About 100 is the UK 50k mapping Also the 10 was 300 rrp so only really 50 or so. Maybe other stuff in the bundle, I'm not sure.

(Or they're charging more for the bigger screen etc.).

I imagine they've done some market research and reckon they can get away with 450...

And I further imagine that if it turns out they're wrong the price may drop, so it might be worth waiting a little.

Pete.

Widdler

Satmap 10 is 225 on the Satmap site (the Active 10 Bike bundle).

Actually, that seems a pretty good deal but what I particularly like about viewranger is that I can buy 1:25K tiles for the area I want to walk in rather than buying mapping for areas (county or country)the majority of which I'm probably never going to set foot in!

Aye, but add the extra stuff onto yer basic whizzy phone and you've made a case for a Satmap 10 without the extra hassle.

so if you were to up the phone then the price differential start to shorten - but again you need to add extra power packs rather than AAs.

The point I'm trying, rather badly, to make is that when copmpared to a phone then the 450 isn't that expensive. You have a phone that does that anyway? Why not have a bog standard free phone? The arguments either way go round and up themselves.

I'm still rather pleased with my Satmap 10; for the time being.

Initiate

Still impossible (for me) to justify that price. For GPS, I use an ancient HTC Desire BRAVO (can pick up used for 40 or less) use a 7 app that downloads 25km OS maps for free, and a 20 Aquapac. Oh, it takes pictures and is a backup to my phone too. Extra batteries are cheap and last over a day as I turn off everything except GPS.

I would only consider taking a dedicated GPS now if I was going out in extreme - and I mean extreme - conditions regularly for a substantive amount of time. Otherwise, and for most users I suspect, what I use is more than adequate.

For most users a map, compass and a bit of Applied Clue is more than adequate, but that's not necessarily the easiest, the best match to what they're looking for (track logs?) and is certainly not the most shiny!

Pete.

Well goodness, something like a 7" tablet is much better in non extreme conditions. A massive, very dense, screen etc. Biggish smartphones will tend to be merely a bit better screen wise.

But then these things are going to be aimed at things like serious use in winter conditions etc. Wouldn't want to fight with a touch screen in a blizzard, horrible driving rain etc. Specalist things tend to cost more

But that still avoids the relative cost for something of that technology though RS.

yep. easy to do cheap and often adequately. More expensive to do well with knobs on.

like everything else that does a job, got the cheapest car, watch etc, it depends upon your use, what you want from it and how much that functionality is worth to you e.g. ther are cheap compasses and expensive compasses; and maps; mapping software - all relatively speaking.

Ultra King

Let's face it, with map, compass and knowledge you can navigate where you want. A lot cheaper than any of the 2 satmap models and any of the alternatives. That makes them a want not a need. Nothing wrong with that.

I have a high spec smartphone but i dont need it. I find it easier and more comfortable to use the way i want to use it than my old galaxy s2. My choice suits me. Same with other gadgets. Your gear, your choice.

How good are satmap 10 bike kit? Isnt it a bit big for handlebar use? Wont it bounce around? At 225 with bike kit it seems close in price to bike gps units with mapping and smaller screens.