Thread: gaiters - moon on a stick content...

Widdler

Sooo, I'm in the market for some new gaiters and thought I'd pick the collective brains on here.

Im looking for:

- Robust

- Breathable

- Velcro closure (not zip)

- replaceable foot strap (ideally one where i can replace it without having to order some special strap from the manufacturer - yes berghaus, Im looking at you).

Any ideas?

Rohan's might do the job. There is no mention of zips but I'm not 100% sure.

(I would have suggested MH Ventigaiters I use, but because they were really good they appear to have stopped making them...)

Pete.

Yes, that's a major gripe with MH, the Ventigaiters were inspired. I'm eyeing up the Rab Stretch Neo gaiters as a possible replacement when my Ventigaiters give up the ghost, but they're pretty tough and 5 or so years on, they're still going very strong.

‹bermensch

Outdoor Research Crocodile Gaiters

Super tough, velcro fastening (with extra velcro securing patch at base) and a front-facing adjustable calf strap, so no dangly cords that snag on anything and everything when you walk past.

Could probably stop an armour piercing round.

Widdler

Another vote for the OR ones, I've used them for around 5 years now still going strong!

Goon
    I just got myself a pair of the Crocodiles though they're still awaiting use. Size large fit well on 10.5 boots and they look hard wearing.

Goon

I'm still looking for the perfect gaiter. Why are they so damn short ? And I only have a 30" leg. They ought to reach and therefore tie at the knee where its narrow.

Why are they so damn loose. Again, they ought to be figure fitting. After all these wonder fabrics are so "breathable" aren't they?

And doesn't "breathable" fabric work better when its closed up and can build u some pressure?

Best lasting underfoot strap I have found is on ex army canvas gaiter. Its a bit of braid wire cable like cycle brake cable.

And doesn't "breathable" fabric work better when its closed up and can build u some pressure?

Up to a point, Lord Copper... You might have a greater rate of egress, but you've got more inside anyway. The point is to have less density ofmoistureinside, not to maximise the rate of transmission.

Pete.

I think the current Rab Latok fit your specifications

Widdler

thanks for the pointers folks, off to hunt now

‹bermensch

have you looked at the paramo gaiters? I have the short version and rate them highly, had them about 4 years now .

they do a long version but haven't used those ones so cant comment

did replace the rubber straps that run under then but wasn't expensive to get them.

maybe when I need to replace the uppers I can call them my "trigger gaiters "

Ultra King

I got rab ones once. Poor gaiters imho. Event was so flexible they draped around my ankles like Nora Batty's stockings! The elastic bungee cord inside the top sheered the outer sheath off on third outing. Since its a captured cord, sewn in on the inside, its not replaceable easily. Oh, i sweated so badly in them they reminded me of my old, non-breathable ones from 20+ years ago. Left me with wet trousers where they'd been covering my leg. Never worn gaiters since.

Paramo gaiters seem a good idea until you read the swing tag. They are a bit too pricey.

‹bermensch

Pricey yes but as with a lot of things you get what you pay for and imho the paramo ones will last for years and do a good job of what they are meant for.

Widdler

Cheap but fit for purpose are Trekmates gators.

‹bermensch

I have a pair of OR gaiters that are still going strong after 15 years. Well the foot strap is beginning to come undone but my guess is that it'll hold up for another 2- 3 years..