Thread: Best fuel for GR10

I understand that gas canisters cannot be taken on the train via the tunnel so what is the easiest fuel type to use on a traverse of the GR10 that can be resupplied en route.

I would be grateful for any advice on the type of lightweight stove for backpacking.

Meths or the Spanish equivalent - Alcohol de Quemar/Metalico, is what I'd use.

But you can buy 'MSR type canisters' gas in certain places (try a search; it has been discussed before); and Camping Gaz is available too.

Thanks Ed. I am just starting the planning for the walk next year and want to get the right gear.... don't want to have a stove that can't be used once the initial supply runs out.

Goon

If you are doing the GR 10 then look for Alcool├* br├╗ler (from hardware stores and supermarkets)if using a meths burner. The french won't know the spanish name. MSR type gas is widely available especially in the villages in the higher mountains. Camping Gaz is available everywhere as it is a french product and they now do a screw top version as well which would fit the MSR etc. so I would stick with the gas

Are you doing the whole GR10? If so the only tricky bit would be the start at Hendaye as nowhere sells MSR gas. And finding screw top camping gaz could be tricky. However, from the train station at Hendaye you have a 15 minute walk to Irun in spain where there is an outdoor shop in the Mendibil shopping centre (on your right as you walk into town) called Leire Sports and they sell the MSR type gas. So you could get a couple of canisters there before starting off.

many thanks for the info. Yes we are intending to do the whole route. I was wondering how to get fuel righr at the start and a walk to Irun solves that issue.

I am logging all the info as I get it so again thanks.

Widdler

I was told by Leire sport that they do not sell gas canister of any type.New proposals where to get hold of gas either in irun or hendaye is gratefully received.

Widdler

Champion (Rue D Irrandatz, Hendaye) is listed on Campingaz website. Is there anyone who can confirm that they are selling screw topCampingaz?

Mini Goon

The bushbuddy stove, it goes with me everytime i go to the pyrenees, in fact it goes with me on nearly every backpack trip i take.

▄bermensch

Get the bus/ferry/bus to Paris and then train to Hendaye.You can then take canisters with you - enough to get you to Cauteret. I did that and then found that the campsite I stayed at in Hendaye sold gas canisters !

Pedro ( el m), which campsite did you use in Hendaye?

Was it ok and was the pitch price reasonable in your opinion?

Goon

Leire must have stopped selling them. Intermarch├ę does sell camping gaz but i doubt the screw top version.I'll have a look this week (in both shops), but normally in France they don't start stockingthings like that until june. Regarding camping, I have mentioned it on another thread but you could camp for free (wild camp-ish) on the Baiede Txingudi. 10mins walk from the station, water tap and not far from public toilets. Fairly busy but every yearthere are festivals and people camp there with no hassle and it is right on the GR10

Excellent, thanks. I have just bought a Primus Mimer Duo burner which can take screw type or click fit ( camping gaz) cylinders and somewhers I have a camping gaz burner that only takes the camping gaz puncture type cylinders. So hopefully I will be covered wharever type is available.

▄bermensch

I think I camped at Alturan. Note I only stayed there whilst waiting for a friend. Coming on the overnight train from Paris I would have started walking straight away otherwise.

▄bermensch

There is an universal adapter to fit screw connection type burners on acampingaz click cannister.

http://www.edelrid.de/en/Edelrid/Spo...r-nocolor.html

Widdler

I have that adapter.

lenaman,have you started to see gas on the shelves and if so, which shop?