Thread: Talkback: The 12 Best Best Winter Baselayer Tops

Widdler
    Helly Hansen? Lifa dry (or whatever it's called) zippy. ~150g and more wicking than anything ever. Wear plus a Helly Dry T and it's still nearly as light as several of these (and you have 2 layers). (And it doesn't smell.)

‹bermensch

Cheapish & cheerful. Just renewed my helly stuff from their cheaper workwear range (same as lifa). The Bryne polypro string vest is great too but very warm & it does niff after a day's use. I don't bother much with merino - takes too long to dry for me & I always end up with holes in it. Would consider it for a longer trip

Initiate

i am slow old and cold----moved from icebreaker to woolpower ----warmer and more durable------regards lentenrose

Mini Goon

I agree with SB, Brynje is my favourite! Fatastic warm and good wicking propreties that suits me since I sweat a lot. It is also close to impossible to wear out. I have five short sleeved shirts and use them on a daily basis from september to may. Not one of them shows any sign of wear after over three years use!

Quote Originally Posted by winst0n View Post
    Helly Hansen? Lifa dry (or whatever it's called) zippy. ~150g and more wicking than anything ever. Wear plus a Helly Dry T and it's still nearly as light as several of these (and you have 2 layers). (And it doesn't smell.)
    You can do some interesting stuff with layering synthetics and merino wool. Kind of what Haglöfs has done, but in two garments. Polypro is good stuff too, TNF did or does (I lose count of model year changes) some decent stuff in it. And the Wild Stripes stuff works - not just a pretty pattern.

Widdler
    I really like the Brynje, particularly effective under merino wool or similar top with a great reduction of the prospect of a damp back from rucksack pressure. I managed to source a very inexpensive polyester tank top string vest from China that is equally effective and doesn't niff. Now why don't other suppliers produce these?

Merino wool is simply a sub-optimal base layer. Soaks up moisture rather than wicking. It's a fad. Has two things going for it pseudo-eco credentials and anti-pong (and three - great marketing, i.e. fit models, by Icebreaker). Your base layer has to wick!

Widdler

I've been hugely impressed by my Dare2b Fuseline tops, which are snuggly and warm in the cold, but stretchy and dry when working hard.

I bought my red one for winter walking, but liked it so much for cycling I bought a second in blue. Their deep front zips are my favourite neckline, helping me to stay comfortable and they fit well on my less than athletic figure. They're also incredibly cheap, whilst looking almost as good as a top brand. They size up quite large, so be cautious when ordering.

Mini Goon

I bought a Cocoon baselayer, reduced in the Climber's Shop and found it warmer than an expensive Icebreaker 200.