Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really warm gloves

Goon

I've recently ordered some montane extreme mitts.. should arrive tomorrow ! I suffer from extremely cold fingers so hoping these will be good, coupled with a silk glove liner.

I also just bought a pair of Gordini Aquabloc Down gloves, for when I need a little more finger freedom.. 10 from Tkmax !!! Cant beat that pricefor a pair of down gloves (unless they're pants, which apparently they're not so I should be okay).

I tried to get Lowe Alpine Storm mittens recently. I agree with those who suggest that, where like-for-like in materials, a mitt is warmer than a glove. As well as being warm the LA Storm mitt is waterproof, which is a significant attraction because where I go it rains. A lot. Internally, there is a fleece liner and finger pockets so they feel like wearing a glove. They have a nice grippy palm. There is also a LA Storm glove - this too is waterproof. The glove features a removable fleece liner which can be worn alone, and the shell is somewhat insulated too and can also be worn alone. I just could not get on with the box fingers on these gloves, and soon rejected them. The mitts were not available in my size where I went shopping, so what to do...?

The mitts were intended to replace 10 year-old Buffalo mitts. The Pertex shell on those deflects wind - essential in my opinion - and the pile lining insulates very very very well. These mitts only came up for replacing because they're worn through. The Buffalo's aren't waterproof, so I use them in conjunction with a waterproof shell. I don't care if pile is supposed to be warm when wet, I don't like soggy hands - nor taking them wet out of the mitts on a cold day! The Buffalo's were always going to take some beating - they're a firm and trusted favourite that has served me well for a long time.

Unable to try on or to purchase the LA Storm mitt in my size, I happened across the Montane Extreme mitt. Pertex outer - nicely windproof then (though sadly, not waterproof - but I still had my waterproof shell mitt so...). The fleece liner was fantastically insulating - certainly better than my old Buffalo's. I bought a pair, regarding them a bit like Buffalo's on steroids - seems impressive, but was it all show?

I've now tried the Montane Extreme mitts in the recent cold and wind, and they're absolutely wonderful. No gripes whatsoever. The grippy palm is the best I've ever come across, but best of all they're very very warm, highly windproof, and highly recommended. Bye-bye Buffalo's - sorry to see you go old friend, but you're worn out and the latest competition has got you beat I reckon. Try some.

Widdler
    Another vote for the Buffalo mitts here. My hands get really cold when I walk and I've tried tonnes of gloves over the years, including an 80 pound pair of Marmot gauntlet mountaineering gloves and nothing has come close to the deceptively simple Buffalo mitts.

In fact, they keep my hands so warm when I'm walking that I occasionally have to take them off for a while, even in sub zero temperatures!
    They cut out wind as if it's not there. I've used them climbing to the top of Helvellyn on what what officially the coldest day of the year a few years ago (-20 with wind chill) and my hands stayed toasty all day!

Pound for pound I don't think you can get better, although I've not yet tried the Montane version.

There are a couple of caveats though.

Firstly these are designed to work when you're active. If you're standing still for a long time then they won't be as effective, and if your hands start cold and you're not moving then they may stay cold (although that applies to nearly all gloves)

Secondly whilst they can take light or occasional rain and can hand snow they're not made for torrential downpours. If you think you're likely to get soaked I suggest a thin Gortex shell mitt to slip over the top.

Thirdly I highly recommend buying a small bit if elastic thread and sowing in some 'idiot chords' (I.e a small chord with a loop that goes around your wrist) as these gloves are so lightweight that there's a genuine risk of them blowing away in strong winds. The chords also make it extremely easy to slip off the glove whilst looking at a map or checking your phone.

Lastly, if you are going to be standing around, or in extreme temperatures for a long time then you can just use two pairs for double the insulation!

Widdler

Another vote for the Montane Extreme mitts. I find them warmer then the Buffalo mitts but they do have an irritating "Russell." I have also found that "wrist gaiters" help prevent heat loss.

Goon

Just coming back to this..

I got the Montane Extreme's, I noticed some manufacturing issues though, such as an annoying ruffled seam inside one of the mitts, and also the thumb is WAY too small. The Finger section is roomy, but the thumb is just way too tight on both mitts (and I have small hands), meaning its not going to be as warm as it should be.

Interesting about the thumbs. I actually went up a size on my Extreme Mitts and found the space to be more than adequate - esp the thumb area which almost has too much room (length-wise). We're all different aye! I've found them pretty warm esp with polartec inners!

Goon

yep weird about the thumbs. Maybe mine had some manufacture issues...

I think the thumbs in mine must've been on the rack (being stretched!) The one area that does feel a bit tight is as shown in the pic on the 'inner' seam!