Thread: Talkback: Peak Park Rangers Now On Bikes...

Widdler
    "Some say they cause erosion"
    Well, of course they do. Only an idiot would say mountain bikes don't have an impact. But only a bigger idiot would say mountain bikers are the only ones who cause erosion. Walkers certainly do.

‹bermensch no longer the 'office manager''s Avatar

And horses, pushchairs/all terrain buggies, 4x4's, sheep, cattle etc etc etc.

Everything causes erosion!

I think it's a brilliant move by the Peak Park. As someone who walks, runs and rides bikes at different times, it's quite interesting - I think it's fair to say that while relations between walkers and bikers and horse riders are generally pretty good, a lot of mountain bikers see themselves as outsiders, possibly because it's a relatively young sport.

Stuff like this shows that it's not a 'them and us' situation. I'm looking forward to meeting some rangers on bikes out and about soon.

Widdler
    Sounds like an excellent idea to me. I don't do much biking at all, but having rangers there if I ever decided to give it a shot would be nice to know.

Initiate
    "we shall be telling them where they can and can t ride"------should be entertaining----the rangers have tried that in surrey -----have been totally ignored and now admit they have given up----perhaps the mountain bikers up north will be less militant----regards lr

I'm wondering if they're allowed on footpaths... it sounds potentially a bit Catch 22 if they're not.

As a Peak District local, I'd say that most mountain bikers tend to ride on bridleways. There's a selection of hardcore locals who ride footpaths as well, but tend to do it discretely - on weekday evenings rather than busy weekends and in dry, firm conditions where appropriate - and know exactly what they're doing, but there's also a third group of riders who genuinely aren't sure where they're technically allowed to ride and I reckon it's that third category of rider who the rangers may be in a good position to help.

Those who ride footpaths deliberately won't really care and, to be honest, given that the rights of way system is a mess anyway, I have a certain amount of sympathy for them. What's officially a bridleway or footpath can be very arbitrary and have no relevance to suitability for use, so you get rocky, sustainable tracks which would be ideal for mountain biking which are technically 'footpaths' and barred to bikes, and equally fragile, friable trals which cut up easily which are bridleways.

In the real world, I'd say there's very little conflict between walkers and riders these days - sure there's the odd incident, but mostly it seems to be live and let live, though the odd rider and/or walker would benefit from following some sort of 'trail code' of good behaviour.