Thread: Talkback: Dame Kelly Holmes Supports Climbing?s 2020 Olympic Dream

Climbing in the Olympics...? Really? Does anyone on here have strong feelings about climbing becoming and Olympic sport? I love trad climbing, almost to the point of obsession. I do it as much as I can fit it in but it's not really a good spectator sport, is it?

‹bermensch

Def can be on climbing walls how about identical routes pairing off? Winner goes through plus fastest two loosers? Till you get to final four for the medals. Routes could get harder and longer as you go through the rounds, maybe an alternative longer easier route could be included?

There would be a time limit for route to make climbers have to push hard if you don't make the time even if you win against your opponent you are not guranteed to go through it then goes down to fastest times, to fill the places after those who win within the time limit have gone through.

Climb to music to set the atmosphere? The music could change to signify one minute then say 20 seconds to go for time limit.

Plus one of only a few sports that could be in both summer and winter games.

The options are almost endless and could produce a competition with more spectator intrest and interaction than many sports already in the games.

It is probably as valid as some other Olympic sports, but it kind of misses the point (IMO) I am not trying to beat anyone else when I climb, only myself.

Does anyone know what the other competing sports are?

Speed, what you are suggesting sounds like the old Gladiators TV show... though it was entertaining I don't think it is Olympics material

Having said that, most games could be better by adding someone on the top of a hill with a tennis ball cannon!

‹bermensch

The Gladiator show is taking it too simplistic I would expext the routes to be a lot more technical and even in the first round to be at least 3-4 times longer.

Can not remember where I saw what I have said but did watch a comp a while back that showed there is potential for this as a great spectator sport.

Steve most sports people do for their own goals ie the marathon but there is also the elite competative side and they help push the boundry of equipment technology and also to promote interest in the sport to the general public.

Sorry Nick no I don't know what the other sports are but will try and find out.

@ Speed, I didn't mean to offend and I know it is not what you ment, it just made me laugh thinking about the old Gladiator show.

They do indeed have climbing comps where you have speed climbing. I dont know if they have a specific name. I just think that indoor climbing, especially the competitive kind, is so far removed from the outdoor sport that I think it is almost a different sport all together. Subsequently I can't get excited about the prospect of it becoming an olympic sport! We'd have climbing gyms everywhere and all the local crags would be filled with top ropes from outdoors centre teaching people how to climb outside on the weekend!