Thread: Talkback: PHD Launching New Ultra-light Down

Mini Goon

As incredible as the specs sound, the problem for me is that it's not entirely clear what the purpose of it is. They're suggesting using it as a midlayer, for camp use, or whilst in bed; but they haven't specified a temperature range, which suggests to me that it's not for use "alone".

However, they do seem to suggest that it's a 3-season range. But how are they expecting you pack? To replace a fleece/midlayer? In addition? Just to wear around camp/chilly lunch stops in spring and autumn? That seems like fairly limited use for such high-end kit. I could see them potentially replacing a midlayer for 1-season use (ie summer night camps where you're sure it's not going to be cold enough during the day to require a midlayer).

I can, however, imagine them being useful for a trip where you're going all-out ultralight camping, ie bivvy + quilt, or where you're pushing a sleeping bag to its limit to save weight but might need some extra warmth. To that extent it's the socks that excite me the most - at 45g they stop being a luxury that doesn't justify the extra weight, but a luxury that's highly desirable in most seasons (cost being the only barrier).

That said...kudos for pushing the boundaries. Silly weight - unbelievable.

Actually the weight for some of the stuff isn't so different to their ultra things. You can see the difference in fabric/down weight from the trousers -140g vs 230g for their minimus ones.

The ultra pullover/vest though save quite a bit of weight from only having short zips, so the pullover is only 40g more than the jacket and the vests are only 20g apart. It wouldn't be exactly shocking if they do some pullover versions of the wafers in time.

(Ok, on checking the minimus trousers are a little bit lower speced than the ultra stuff too.).

I'm not sure why they haven't given them a temperature rating yet. They'll work just fine as outer insulating layers so long as you don't want anything all that warm. Maybe they want some feedback first? You can see from the photos that they're not going to be as warm las well as the ultra stuff is.

It's mostly for insane weight fanatics I think So people with enough money/motivation to shave 100g or so off the net weight of their spring/autumn camping gear. Being small they can cater for such folk.

Insane weight fanatics...

Pardon me

I carry a MB UL jacket year round......it's a great piece for mornings/evenings. My pref for this is that it is great for that type of use...daytime, even in winter, I'm in little more than a base and a wind shirt (decency accepted)...

So the MB does what it needs too.....obviously if you are the type who lounges around camp rather than spend time walking you might not suit such a 'system'.....

The Ghost Whispery thing looks nice.....

Hehe - I have the 220g Ultra pullover and that's been battered to bits and still bounces back for more. Worn it in the daytime whilst walking in winter, used it climbing, sitting around camp, even at a footie match.

It packs to not a lot and that makes it so good.

It needs serious pruning....pockets FFS

That's the best bit! A man needs those few extra grammes of luxury.