Thread: Talkback: Montane's Autumn 2013 Kit - Scoop!

Looks good, though I still wonder why they continue to labour under the misapprehension that the top of your left arm is a Really Good Place To Put Stuff.

Pete.

Goon
    Like the sound of that Further Faster jacket. Why don't more manufacturers make non helmet hoods, and that's not just because i have a small head, or jackets specifically aimed at non mountaineers?. I reckon 80% of people who buy a jacket don't want or need a massive helmet compatible hood, so that rules out a lot of em for me. I tried on a Berghaus velum 2 the other day, body wise a great fit but the hood you needed to be john merrick to fill it i'm convinced as the adjustment just wouldn't fit me even with 3 hats on. From reviews of neoshell it sounds like it does breathe unlike most rivals that say they do on paper but in real world usage don't at all. Unless your in their IDEAL test conditions that is. Looking forward to seeing one in the flesh

Quote:-

"more fitted, more athletic cut with plenty of room for burly climbing shoulders buut a more tapered waist and torso fit,"

So no use for women as it won't fit over their butts. Never mind the guys who no longer have a 'youthful profile' (-read a waist reflective of good living).

I already have to buy 2 sizes too big if I want one of the mens jackets to fit around my hips. No mention if there are womens fit jackets, but if there are I bet they are in stupid 'pretty' colours. -Poor business tactics to ignore 50%+ of the population.

Rant over.

Erm, I can't speak about fit from personal experience, but all the jackets are also available in a women's version which will be cut to fit women. If you look at the pictures, there's one of two of the women's jackets. I'll check which are available in a women's version and update the story, but its definitely the case that there are Montane women's specific jackets both in the autumn/winter range and currently, so you shouldn't need to buy a men's jacket.

Thanks Jon for the info. about womens stuff.

Still, 'athletic fit' won't accomodate my chubby hubby's 'comfortable' middle.

Quote Originally Posted by cathyjc View Post

Thanks Jon for the info. about womens stuff.

Still, 'athletic fit' won't accomodate my chubby hubby's 'comfortable' middle.
    No probs. On the fit front generally, it's down to brands to decide who their customer is and consequently how they cut their clothing. I have a certain amount of admiration for companies like Arc'teryx who've decided that their customer is likely to have an athletic shape and cut their clothing uncompromisingly to suit that.

It's not the only option, some brands have a selection of fits depending on the garment, Haglöfs for example. Or Berghaus in fact, though a couple of years back, the Asgard-based stuff in particular seemed to have been designed to fit Leo Houlding, which made fit problematic for folk who weren't built like scrawny climbers - the following season's stuff was a bit looser and the Asgard Smock simply disappeared from the line-up.

And generally I'd say women are being better catered for than ever before - a lot of brands now produce a men's and women's version of pretty much their entire range. That said, the one area where that's not always true is with really über-technical stuff simply because the market for it is relatively small, which means, say, top-end women's mountaineering jackets are harder to find.

Looks good, though I still wonder why they continue to labour under the misapprehension that the top of your left arm is a Really Good Place To Put Stuff.

Ski-lift pass pocket mostly I think - not so much for the UK market, but those pesky continental folk who use lifts for skiing and ski-mountaineering.

Jon, yes. Re. fit and my chubby hubby, he recently discovered Paramo and loves it !! (-now there's a can of worms).

I was kind of doing a bit of mild trolling in my original post. But there is an element of 'truth' there too, in that our population is getting older and there are relatively greater numbers of older folks with 'less than perfect athletic bodies' getting out and about, and proportionally fewer young ' athletic slimmies'. I can only assume the manufacturers have done their research.

As a relative 'oldie' it gets a bit galling to be 'overlooked' and see all the attention being focused on the youthful end of the market. How about some articles on gear for those of us with mature (not recessarily fat) figures. And I don't mean 'Trespass' and 'Regatta' etc, either.

Thanks Cathy.

Ski-lift pass pocket mostly I think - not so much for the UK market, but those pesky continental folk who use lifts for skiing and ski-mountaineering.

Yet not having one of these pockets I still manage to use "hands free" ski passes... Trouser pocket worked fine last year, and since the machines are set to pick up passes carried by fairly short kids, having "less is more" as a design ethic take a day off just for that suggests a minor degree of plot-loss to me.

File under bonnet-bees, next to interactive zips and inner-first tent pitching, I suppose...

Pete.

Pete, I like 'top of arm' pockets. -You "cannot please everyone all the time" . Not a deal breaker tho'.

Cathy.

Ultra King
    Quote Originally Posted by cathyjc View Post

Pete, I like 'top of arm' pockets. -You "cannot please everyone all the time" . Not a deal breaker tho'.

Cathy.
    so do i, my Oyster card fits perfectly

That's fun entertainment for other passengers watching you swiping the Oyster on the reader...

Ultra King
    Quote Originally Posted by Parky Again View Post

That's fun entertainment for other passengers watching you swiping the Oyster on the reader...
    that's why i took it out of my trouser pocket.

"there's the walking-specific Direct Ascent Jacket " with a helmet compatible hood!!! wtf!

coopsy, i would suggest that 98% don't want a giant hood. it must be an outdoorsy equivalent of go faster stripes.

Well perhaps also useful for people who do have proportionally larger heads? Or who just do a little climbing etc at times.

If well designed they do adjust down quite nicely.

I think helmet hoods make sense if you're someone who occasionally does some Scottish winter stuff, for example, and wants to be able to protect themselves against falling ice / falling climbers etc.

Interestingly, more helmet hoods are now coming with vertical adjusters at the back which means you can shorten the rear section of the hood in non-helmet use, so the brim doesn't slip forward over your face - see the images above for examples from the Montane 2013 range - one adjustable, one pre-elasticated.

It's harder to design a hood that works properly with a helmet and without, but it is possible.. My advice would always be to try the hood with and without a lid if you're considering a shell with a helmet-compatible hood.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    "i would suggest that 98% don't want a giant hood. it must be an outdoorsy equivalent of go faster stripes."

It's nothing of the sort; it's merely a feature specifically targetted at a certain market, that market being mountaineers, not South Downs ramblers or dog walkers.

Not everyone is a mountaineer.
    Not everyone is a rambler.
    Not everyone needs the same features.
    If an item doesn't have the features you want, then it may be wrong for you. But that doesn't mean it's wrong for everyone.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

"Looks good, though I still wonder why they continue to labour under the misapprehension that the top of your left arm is a Really Good Place To Put Stuff."

Oh, and I forgot to reply to this. A: Because Arc'teryx do it, so it must be right...

All the SkiData machines I've encountered would be better served by cuff or hip pocket; I stick my pass in a little hip belt 'wing' pocket on my small MTB pack I use when skiing.