Thread: Talkback: Patagonia Launches Super High-Loft Down Parka

Having just picked up an 850 fill hydrophobic Berghaus Ilam jacket for 120 on eBay I would find it nearly impossible to justify paying anywhere near 600 for this jacket, nicely made though it is. The law of diminishing returns beautifully illustrated...

Oh its pretty insane. For a full 8 pounds more you could have PHDs seriously mad Omega (-55) down jacket for instance. Which also has down which would very likely rate ~1000 on the USA scale.....

One explanation I've seen on backpackinglight.com is that they're doing a (free) biannual fancy steam clean style service for it. Which sort of explains the price to a large extent but then begs the question of why on earth they've felt the need to do that.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    Interesting that Patagonia do say that it's a plasma encapsulation method, as we hypothesised on a recent thread... (which I can't find at the moment).

Yup, it's plasma coating, and they've bought a whole company to do it for them! Plasma-ing is something I'd considered doing to down a couple of years ago but never got round to. I'm glad someone has done it and has made a product out of it. The price tag is pretty outrageous, but then this isn't a jacket for your weekend warrior.

but then this isn't a jacket for your weekend warrior.

Isn't it? I recall a reported conversation on mountain bike racing I read a few years ago along the lines of "what category is this?"; "must be the 'fun' race, all the bikes are worth more than three grand..."

Your bank-bonus weekend warrior whi happens to be a gear junkie is, I'd have thought, going to be accounting for a fair few of these.

Pete.

...and regarding fill power, 1000+ is indeed exceptionally high, but it's maybe not the highest out there. There's an Italian supplier that sells 1000+, and a couple of others do too. PHD's stuff would indeed probably register 1000+ with the USA cylinder.

I'm not sure, I suppose it might be. With waterproof jacket prices now hitting 500 it's not impossible, even if it is the cost of a two week trip to the Alps!

I had assumed this jacket were a flagship model for their sponsored athletes and a way of demonstrating innovation, not a product that was designed to be sold to consumers. Then again, some people really will pay for the best, as shown by the climbers who use Grivel's Reparto Corse axes.

BTW, Mr Fuller, I liked your insulation articles on UKC; nice concise summary of heat loss mechanisms and physiology.

Which plasma treatment company have Patagonia bought?

Oh, and here's that earlier thread I was trying to find.

Aeon Clad is an Austin Texas based company. Patagonia now holds a 15% stake in them.

For a top end belay jacket, the lack of a 2 way zip is very strange.

Thanks CP, they took a while to edit together and make into two parts but they seem to have had a fairly decent response.

Yes, Patagonia bought a share in AeonClad. I first heard about it here http://www.thegearcaster.com/the_gea...lent-down.html and had somewhat exaggerated it in my brain that they'd bought someone out completely.

Yeah, I hadn't noticed the zip thing, but it is strange, particularly considering that the Das Parka has a two-way zip. Unlike Arc'teryx's Atom SV, this is supposed to be a full-blooded over-the-top jacket, so it does seem a bit odd.

Hmm... the zip. Hadn't spotted that in my brief scan of the article.

Even my Berghaus synthetic belays manage that. Then again, I spotted a MtnHaus Baffin Island jacket the other day (Berghaus' supposed 'super gear' brand), and it had a zip on the inside of the rolled collar. I didn't think I'd want that rubbing against my neck...