Thread: Talkback: MHW Gets Hydrophobic Down For Spring

Übermensch
    Hydrohobic down seems to loft a bit less and when extreme wet due to rain for example it looses loft. It's a step forward but still not ideal

Übermensch
    Hydrohobic down seems to loft a bit less and when extreme wet due to rain for example it looses loft. It's a step forward but still not ideal

The German firm XT Bigpack made bags with hydrophobic down back in the early 90s IIRC. That was before this trendy new nano-tech stuff, of course, same idea as the original Nikwax down proofing.

Pete.

I tend to view it as an sort of insurance policy rather than something that makes down suitable for wet conditons. It means you fret less if you do get caught out in the wet - classic Scottish winter dilemma - and it's ideal for expedition stuff where things get damp gradually over days of use.

Übermensch

Well for expeditions I would like to have a bag which is made ofCuben Fibre (inner and outer)and down 850+ cuin (EU-norm). This down lofts better than hydrophobic down and doesn't need a VBLand DWR outer and is extremely light.

Other solution is a combination of VBL, non-hydrophic down with 850+ cuin and DWR outer.'

I've already seen tests with this new hydrophic down which doesn't make me too happy, joy, joy. You need more down for same insulation factor because it lofts slightly less. So moredown weight is needed which kindofneutralizes extra weight needed for DWR outersand even VBL (However I think VBL + DWR outer mightslightly need more extra weight than extra hydrophobic down

Second conclusion is that your bag still wets out, down keeps indeed dry but you cannot forget your bivibag when you go out in the rain. In the rain the bag completely wets out and looses insulation factor. However when it's dry again the bag dries amazingly fast compared to standard bags. That's a plus, the minus is that it isn't the holy grail to feel save out in the open without bivy bag in bad conditions.

The waterproof down that Patagonia are using in their new $700 jacket seems to be creating much interest on BPL.com. Part of the purchase price seems to be a 'free' annual service for the life of the jacket.

Which isn't precisely comforting regarding the durability of the coating

Is it a coating?

I thought it was some sort of silicone plasma treatment?

Probably it is Still if it needs regular (rather fancy) cleaning to keep working well you do have to wonder rather. Maybe that's just for the extra loft or some such.

You can't quite imagine them offering the service as standard if it wasn't relatively important as it'll be really costing them if people take them up on it over the lifetime of this sort of thing.