Thread: Talkback: Ordnance Survey Launches iOS App

Widdler
    It?s great to hear that you like the general look and feel of the first release of our iOS app, OS MapFinder. We released OS MapFinder in response to customer demand and it is the latest extension to our outdoor products and services that complement our trusted paper products and the online walking portal ? OS getamap.

As with any Ordnance Survey product, we are keen to continue to meet customer needs and are working on an Android version and the second version of the iOS app right now with plans in place to address most of the things you?d like to see improved.

OS MapFinder currently uses an average walking speed to calculate route times. We are investigating the inclusion of height data in the next version so that we can calculate estimated durations using Naismith?s Rule.

We are also looking to enable people sharing routes between their devices and include social integration so that people can share routes with each other. As part of the route sharing, our developers are researching ways to simply integrate our routes database, as used by OS getamap, to enable importing and exporting of GPX files (it is worth noting that the current version stores routes in GPX format so when import and export functionality is created these can be transferred).

With on-going feedback and the planned developments we are hoping that OS MapFinder will become an integral part of our customers? outdoor kit.

Thanks, OS MapFinder team

A few questions if I may.

How many idevices can this be loaded on?

What happens when the idevice changes i.e. you get a new phone?

What happens when the underlying mapping changes/updates - do you have to buy it again?

Any plans to sell mapping based upon user wishes e.g. basic map sold with whatever overlays you want i.e talior made e.g. footpaths, places of interest, street namesinstead of getting everything.?

Any idea of timescale for version 2 to be issued?

What is your tile pricing (ridiculously expensive for such a small area) based upon as it doesn't look like it considers competitor prices - with competitors using the same mapping?

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

Some questions:

- Why is the overview mapping 'muted'?

- Are the scaling algorithms up to it? There appears to be quite a lot of resolution-conversion noise in the 1:50k imagery at the 1:50k/1:25k boundary.

- Can the route points be edited?

- Why are tiles so expensive (relative to other 'OS customers' such as MemoryMap)?

- How do the other 'customers' feel about OS moving in on their market...?

- Why does the feedback link in the help not have a category for OS MapFinder; it goes to your general OS web query page that has no mention of OS MapFinder...

- Oh, and why do you force users giving helpful feedback to supply a phone number and postcode if they don't want to? Admittedly, you didn't seem to check that they were valid, so made-up details can be entered...

Before you start mucking about with social networking and route sharing, get the basic GPX I/O sorted as a priority. This is likely to be the basis of any route-sharing anyway...

I can't speak for the Ordnance Survey, but I do wonder if the mapping pricing is relatively high because of the politics of potentially under-cutting their own customers who are buying mapping data from them then reselling it in proprietary formats, which is their main source of income I think - ViewRanger, Anquet, Memory Map and others.

And the lack of ability to share route data even between your own devices means that you can't, for example, plan a route on an iPad - which is a relatively straightforward process to be fair - and then transfer it onto an iPhone for use in the field, let alone share it elsewhere.

There's some real oddness going on with mapping apps at the moment. I can't believe, for example, that the new Anquet iPhone app won't allow you to record a track as you go, just seems like an obvious oversight, though I know they're working on an update to include that. Obviously you can run another app to do just that, but why should you have to.

Right now, ViewRanger seems far and away the most comprehensive mapping solution out there. It's not perfect, some sort of map synch between devices would be a good thing, but it does most of what you need it to and power handing is gradually improving too.

Jon, I think they are just charging wha they feellike for the mapping which is way more than the others charge using the same mapping. Seems surprising that they don't sell their own mapping to themselves for the same price as they sell it to others. Then again why bother putting together a proper app at all when you buy their mapping anyway. It seems the Anquest iDevice app follows the startlingly inept start attempt of their mac programme which is disgracefully awful beyond words.

From what the capt has posted it looks like it's following on from the badly implemented online mapping thingy you subscribe to. I've forgotten its name as i only used it a couple of times before abondoning it because it was sh1te in comparison with others.

i'm gradually being tempted by viewranger in view of all the good reports it gets.

Dear Lancaster University Students

Next time, think twice before spamming a Forum. I would be very annoyed with any of my students who chucked in a post like that without asking the permission of the Forum editor, and setting up a new thread with the editor's permission.

Many people on OM are very happy to help students with research project questionnaires, but I'm damned well not getting involved with yours now.

Yours,
    An annoyed university lecturer and OMer.

Ultra King

Kate -LUMS and Lancaster University are supposedly one of the best for management and marketing. Hmmmm! What where the 3 Ps? Product, Price and...

Oh yes! Placement.

Start your own thread LUMS students please.

Dear Lancaster University Students,

If you would like some help with your research, it would help if you did some research yourselves, and posted your request either as a new thread, or as a post in an relevant thread, rather than posting in a random thread where it's unlikely to be seen...

Oh, beaten to it by Kate. And using the same opening line...

Widdler

Dear all,

we are deeply sorry for spamming our survey. Please do not judge the whole LUMS for what we have done. We have learned from this mistake and we will never do it again.

Widdler

Dear TP,

the Ps are 4 (product, price, place and the FOURTH promotion).

Yours,

a really proud ex-Lancaster University student

Ultra King
    Dani
    I knew it was 4 but had a block abt that 4th one id missed.
    My partner is at lancaster and so are a lot of my friends. Other highly regarded deoartment but its a gr8 uni for certain fields. Im not having a go at the uni. I do find it strange that bright marketing students from such.a highly regarded school/uni department wld be so crass in their approach. They're asking us to take time out of our lives to assist them. It's just obvious that they should take time out to make their approach suitable to their target audience.
    Sorry if it came across as having a go at the uni. I'm just having a go.at their approach. Most forums are hostile to spam approaches

Also i appreciate their apology.

Just for reference, LU Students - I'm just about to e-mail you - if you do want to post a request for help with academic research, just drop me a line and ask politely. It's generally not a problem, but inserting posts in random threads just tends to annoy people. But I suspect you've worked that one out now

On the OS mapping app front. I think, in a nutshell, it's positioned as a quite basic 'stick a map on your device' thing at the moment. I see the OS is advertising for an app developer though...

As far as pricing goes, well, the only people who could tell you about that is the Ordnance Survey's commercial arm. From the outside it looks like they're in an interesting political position. If they compete with their clients - like ViewRanger/MM/Anquet etc - on price, they risk upsetting them. I wonder if the same is true in terms of functionality.

Sorry Jon, my questions were aimed at the OS original post.Not a good start as a fly past posting...

"gr8 uni for certain fields" - not for spelling

(runs away)

Widdler