Thread: Talkback: OutdoorsMagic Gear Of The Year 2012

Gentle pedantry here but for some reason they left GPS out of the ipad mini so it makes a rather bad outdoors navigation device Nexus 7 instead perhaps.

Although Viewranger must look stupidly impressive on a full scale ipad screen

Where did you get the info of no GPS on the ipad mini?

Goon
    I've got viewranger on my nexus 7 so yeah, it does look the dogs danglies martin

This list is starting to look a little like my letter I need to send to the North Pole sharpish.

Various reviews and things. Actually, checking Apples page, it seems like the LTE version does have GPS but the wifi one doesn't. Maybe the same with the bigger ipads too even.

Presumably they just don't view GPS as something worth building into them as a feature in itself but the LTE ones get it due to sharing parts with mobile phones.

Nexus 7 of course much cheaper than a mini, and especially the LTE one.

Yep, the one with the 3G / 4G chip has GPS, but I take your point.

All Ipads have GPS with the Celluar chipset and NO GPs with wi-fi only chipset also Ipod has no GPS but Iphone does.

Widdler

I have the Samsung Galaxy Note, which with its 5inch screen is smaller than a Nexus 7 or iPad mini but makes just as impressive an outdoor device when paired up with Maverick (free Android GPS Software). it also uses upto 24 satellites rather than the standard 12 you get on any other GPS device.

I'd be surprised by the latter.

The objective problem with something like the note (or any of the mildly smaller smartphones) vs small tablets in purely outdoors terms is the price. Unlocked they're often twice as much or more.

For basically identical hardware and a smaller screen with it It's amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheerfulgrin View Post

I have the Samsung Galaxy Note... ...it also uses upto 24 satellites rather than the standard 12 you get on any other GPS device.
    Presumably that means it's able to access the GLONASS satellites simultaneously with the GPS ones?

I don't know about other smartphone/tablet apps, but that functionality is available on several of Garmin's dedicated gps units. It's on the etrex 30 that I bought a year ago, which is a relatively budget mapping gps, and I'm sure it's on some of their more expensive units too.

Using both sets of satellites does seem to make a positive difference to both accuracy and initial time to get a fix. Against that it reckons to use the batteries a little quicker (but not so much that I don't leave it enabled all the time).

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    Cheerfulgrin: modern GPS receivers have more 'channels' (essentially, correlators). This means that they can track more satellites at once. However, there are rarely more than 10 useful satellites in the sky at any one time (for any given GNSS constellation), so this is a bit moot. The extra channels can be used to search for additional channels, and, when more GNSS systems start to come into service properly (Galileo, Beidou), they will be able to use these satellites too, provided the receiver can receive and decode the signals.

However, the benefits of using multiple GNSS at once are small; a case of diminishing returns. You will get a small improvement in accuracy, and some improvement in urban and natural canyon performance.

EGNOS doesn't currently provide corrections for Galileo or Beidou, and, since the ionospheric corrections it provides are the most significant, EGNOS-corrected GPS/GLONASS will provide the most accurate position (barring local errors such as multipath).

Widdler
    The ipad mini cellular models have a GPS.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    Correction to my earlier post. Although the SBAS spec, RTCA DO-229 has field indicators (PRN Mask Assignments Message Type 1) that suggest the ability for SBAS satellites to broadcast corrections for multiple GNS systems, in practice, there isn't enough bandwidth to transmit corrections for more than one (whilst meeting the requirements for aircraft landing).

So, despite being able to find documents on ESA's website that discuss EGNOS being able to correct or GPS and GLONASS (sadly, the document is undated, but talks about EGNOS in the future tense), the current reality is that EGNOS only provides corrections for GPS. The current system will not be able to broadcast corrections of GLONASS, Galileo or Compass. In order to do that, additional message bandwidth will have to be added somehow.

Sadly, ESA's EGNOS pages are a bit of a shambles, with most entries undated, and obsolete information present, and little detail of what it actually does.

‹bermensch

Not able to decide whether to be merely disappointed or gutted I've opted for clueless.

Ultra King
    I'm afraid i think CP operates on a higher plane of tech than I, so I opt for clueless too.

Simply, the capt is pointing out the modern thought that more must be better is actually blx becuase it ignores context. 24 channels so what.it doesn't actually do anything useful, other than waste the battery.

One maybe intriguing thing I saw today which I hadn't realised - there are some 4.2" GPS equipped Samsung Android driven MP3 players going for ~80 pounds.

Oldish version of android/hardware etc but if it runs viewranger OK - I can't see why it shouldn't but haven't explicitly checked - then it does seem to offer an awfully cheap way to buy into this sort of thing. Replaceable battery too.

Mini Goon

That sounds like a samsung galaxy player 4 ,very low in specs compared to mobile phones and tablets of today but up to the job of running nav Apps like viewranger i have installed on my LG optimus 4 X HD and Nexus 7 tablet.

Just dont go trying to play real racing 3 on it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-S-WiFi-4-0-8-GB-Digital-Media-Player-/251279408717?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_PortableAudi o_MP3Players&hash=item3a816b7e4d