Thread: Suilven - accomodation

Hi there - 7 of us staying at the Sail Mhor for a weekend in June, but want Thursday night close to Suilven approach - unfortunately the SYHA at Achmelvic Beach is full. If anyone has any suggestions much appreciated

Cheers ... Simon.

There's a bothy much nearer, Suileag, about 2.5 Km north of the west end of the hill.

Pete.

The old seamans mission in Lochinver is now a bunkhouse. I've not stayed there but I've heard good things about it.

A bit further away but very good is Inchnadamph Lodge (not Hotel). Our favourite hostel - very well run. Dorms and private rooms. About 20 mins drive from Lochinver.

We stayed at the SYHA at Achmelvic beach last summer. It wasn't good. One grotty shower for the whole establishment. We felt 'ripped off' and won't use it again. The SYHA need to buck up their game.

As Peter said, there is a bothy very close to there. I stopped there to have a bit to eat after going up Suilven in horizontal torrential rain (epic day that was)! Was very nice and I'd definitely go and stay there a few days if I head that far north again! Dont think it would be an issue to get 7 in there... providing no one else is there first Maybe take a small tent/tarp/bivi bag in case?

Mini Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by cathyjc View Post

The old seamans mission in Lochinver is now a bunkhouse. I've not stayed there but I've heard good things about it.
    I stayed at that bunkhouse in November 2011and it was excellent. It's new and well furnished, bunks were good, showers were good. I think it was about £22 a night?

Alex

The bothy is big but basic. If it was me I wouldn't want to miss a full E-W traverse of Suilven. Simply slogging up the eroded path to the mid-point with the tourists misses the whole point of the hill. If you're based at Lochinver as above, get the early morning bus (#67) round to Elphin and follow the track right through, over the tops and back out to the sea. One of the best days you can have in the Highlands.

Nice pics Monty! Wish it had looked like that when I was up there.

I've been up it a few times, always in good weather. Keep meaning to camp on the summit, that'd be good. That particular bothy, for me, is one for blizzard evasion and tent repair duties only...

Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery Wick View Post

I've been up it a few times, always in good weather. Keep meaning to camp on the summit, that'd be good. That particular bothy, for me, is one for blizzard evasion and tent repair duties only...
    Is that because of its proximity to the trail?

Draughty, too well known and easy to get to, no firewood locally available. I carried about 30l of rubbish out after I repaired my tent there back in July, and burned a lot more; interesting evening, though, a fellow traveller passing through with good stories to tell.

Good intel on the wood! Thanks for that.

That is the first bothy I ever stayed in on my own - only to be kept company by a lizard. Given they are not that frequent in the North of UK I was quite surprised to meet this one at 1 o'clock in the morning.

It came to 'sun bathe' in the light of my candle whilst I was reading.

And if I haven't already sold an eastern approach, this is what you'd be missing:

That looks great. Because I came in on the tourist route in pissing rain I went up in the middle to the saddle... the path was a torrent and at the top it was blowing so hard you could barely stand! Looks amazing from the east!

Am planning a trip up to do the Torridons so maybe a detour to Suilven would be in order again!

Mini Goon

Yes camping on the summit is fantastic and you can get god photos from the top at sunrise and sunset too