Thread: PacerPoles ?

Mini Goon

I'm coming to the conclusion that I should start using some poles. Getting knee pain after a walk even on flat, only after walking again, and it goes away within a day. And more downhill than I do locally would definately be too much / spoil the walk now.

Must be my age... and not walking often enough

I have tried some Leki poles, a quite light pair, but found that I was having to concentrate far to much on timing the arm/poles to match my leg/steps. I walk very quickly when I'm on my own which is a big influence on this.

Trying Pacerpoles isn't so easy, although they offer the 30 day trial / return.

Can anyone comment on whether the different style of the Pacerpole would help / solve the fast walking problem against normal poles?

Also, thinking carbon Pacer's would be best for speed, has anyone found them fragile at all?

Can't comment on your speedy issue, but I haven't found mine fragile at all, and I have a tendency to scramble up short sections with the poles dangling from my wrists, chucking them down short scramble sections, and generally abusing them.

Mini Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric Kate View Post

Can't comment on your speedy issue, but I haven't found mine fragile at all, and I have a tendency to scramble up short sections with the poles dangling from my wrists, chucking them down short scramble sections, and generally abusing them.
    That's good to read, presuming you're refering to carbon poles.

Looking at the PacerPole information it suggests that using the poles is more intuitive, which to me means should be better for not thinking so much about placing/moving the poles except on uneven surfaces.

Yep, the carbon ones.

I found them pretty intuitive, and very comfortable! There's quite a lot of info about using them on the pacerpole website, and I've found the pacerpeople very helpful with a service and replacing a widget a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure I don't think at all about what I'm doing with them except when on rock. I thought I'd find them weird, but after the first time using them absolutely loved them.

Mini Goon
    Thanks for your help. Looks like I've just got to take the plunge.

Quote Originally Posted by Fresh Air View Post

Can anyone comment on whether the different style of the Pacerpole would help / solve the fast walking problem against normal poles?
    I think it is a coordination thing. Like learning to ride a bike or juggle. It'll click at some point.

If used correctly either any poles enable you to walk faster/at a fast pace - You can even even run with them (though not sure if Pacers suitable for that)

Pacers have a different handle design which makes you hold them in an certain way so guiding you to use them in way which is easiest - making it more intuitive. If you use the straps properly on Lekis etc. then there need be no difference whatsoever from Pacers when in use. I have had a couple of goes with other peoples Pacers and also looked at the Pacer videos, and I reckon I use my poles in exactly the same way except I'd say that normal poles are a bit more versatile in steep semi-scrambly descents.

I prefer a strap on a normal pole - the fixed shape/rigid plastic handles of the Pacers didn't feel right to me. I feel they are a bit limiting to only using in the style dictated by the handles - and possibly not so easy to use as tent poles.

But, there are plenty of satisfied users so may be worth a punt.

Also, I don't think that many (most?) people you see with standard poles hold them optimally, using the straps in the most effective way.

Well you may...I found Pacers to be a PITA and not great to use...each to their own.

I hated poles for years....younger years (so prejudicial) and never saw myself using them.....until I started..

I use Leki's, Fizan and have used Pacers. Don't find poles are an issue with 'placement' or intuition...they are sticks extending your arms at the end of the day - they seem to go where they need to. I use mine very hard, especially on descents - which is why I would not go near carbon.....

I've used the carbon Pacerpoles since 2006 and I've used them a lot. I've only ever changed the bottom sections when they have worn away the stud (usually around 1500 to 2000 miles I've found). Never had one break on me and like ed h I can be pretty tough on them coming down hill but having used them so long I've built a trust in them.

Ed h, you should have contacted Heather at PP regarding them not being great to use, some people use them like Leki's and that's were they go wrong. She has a DVD showing the correct usage.

I've got PP's and quite like them and prefer em to the Leki's I used before.

One downside though is the funny handle make em a bit awkward if you use them to pitch a tent as replacements for the poles.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Perry View Post

Ed h, you should have contacted Heather at PP regarding them not being great to use, some people use them like Leki's and that's were they go wrong. She has a DVD showing the correct usage.
    I knew how to use them Steve - they were a mates I borrowed and he's most proficient with them; just did not like them.

A mate?

They are great to walk with, but the twist lock is shite if you use the poles as a shelter support.

I think there's quite a few of us around there who think that pacerpoles with BD flicklocks would be an awesome combination.

My mate Rob.

My mate Tam.

‹bermensch

I think there's quite a few of us around there who think that pacerpoles with BD flicklocks would be an awesome combination.

Suggest it to PP, they might get the message eventually.

I recently contacted them in reaction to some marketing spiel in Scottish Mountaineer, reproducing the stuff on their web site that they're not just poles but they are part of an "education" process. TBH that struck me as the sort of thing that will put many a potential user off, as I think one of the great things about them is they short-cut technique development with a more natural feel and I said that trying to blind people with science might be an own goal against people thinking they've got lots of homework to do to use them. Sadly, the reply I got tried to blind me with science and an "education process", so I gave up pretty soon. I had got the flicklocks thing in but I think the point slipped by in a wash of performance optimisation biomechanics...

(That's not trying to diss the product, just aspects of the marketing)

Pete.

Initiate

the best poles by a country file.phone and ask her,forget her name, the owner lives near bowness in lakes and as she designed the poles has a great intest,passion and knowledge about the poles.i called round her house when i snaped a lower section once,very nice lady

Mini Goon
    The pole locking mechanism doesn't bother me as I'm relatively light. Not looking to use them with a tarp or tent either.

Seems to be more praise for them than otherwise which is good to read.

Some valuable and useful feedback - thanks