Thread: Walking poles

Has anyone bought/used walking poles from Alptech-Outdoors? I am interested in them because

1. they are cheap and

2. they have an on/off anti-shock system

I have a pair of poles that are anti-shock and I do not like them. I did have a pair of poles before anti-shock became the norm and they were great but unfortunately got damaged.I cannot find straight forward reasobaly priced poles that are NOT anti-shock.

Further to my first item does anyone know of a make of walking poles that come WITHOUT anti-shock??

Belgium (What did I do to deserve this ?)
    Maybe on the expensive side, but this is what I have and with no anti shock: clicky

B-H thanks for the info and yes they are more than I really want to spend..... perhaps these will need to be birthday and christmas prezzies combined....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Leki-Makalu-...8204008&sr=1-1

These ones are not anti-shock, and it's worth phoning your local Millets, as where there is stock they are ridiculously cheap currently. Discontinued I believe (I work in a Millets, and they're flying away, in our store, at £10 per pole).

In terms of the Alptech ones, they may just be like the majority of cheap walking poles, where after tightening, you gently twist the middle pole section anti-clockwise until it clicks to turn off the anti-shock feature.

Most anti-shock poles on the high street work in this way, and most Leki anti-shock can also be turned off, but you twist slightly differently, as it turns off by means of an internal bayonet fitting.

Though, even when you've done this, rather than turning it off completely, there's still a slight movement. It just limits it to a minimum.

Alternatively, most four section poles aren't anti-shock, with the added bonus that they can be much more compact.

Have a look at:

http://www.blacks.co.uk/product/11A3...ibute=14911699

http://www.blacks.co.uk/product/11A0...ribute=4243594

The only difference being that the Blacks version has a slightly nicer hand grip to the Eurohike.

Hope all that made sense!

Tim many thanks, I have checked out the 2 links and the Blacks looks extremely interesting and I will phone my local Millets tomorrow.

I neglected to mention, as we are the same company, some Millets stores also stock the compact poles.

Also, prices may differ between Blacks and Millets stores, and depending on location.

Probably an unnecessary post, but I wouldn't want to mislead

‹bermensch
    MountainKing (made in UK - waves flag) make on/off & without

‹bermensch
    Black Diamond do several excellent poles without anti-shock. Their Trail poles are good, and not too expensive.

Another vote for bd poles, mine have their Angelico and it is very good, not as bouncy as others I have used and I prefer the locking mechanism to twist locks.

Steve d