Thread: Talkback: How Much To Climb Everest... Eeek!

Widdler
    The article loses credibility in the first sentence repeating the story that Prince Harry is hoping to "conquer" Everest. Isn't it the case that he is supporting the Walking With the Wounded expedition but unlikely to go beyond Base Camp?

The rest of the article may be great but I gave up there. Repeating an obvious error right at the start doesn't fill me with confidence that it's accurate.

I ignored the first three paragraphs, just skimmed them. The rest was quite interesting tbf. According to Jagged Globe, a few years back, all you need to climb Everest is the ability to climb Scottish Grade 2 (tick), proven ability to acclimatise above 5,000m (tick) and some experience climbing biggish mountains (tick) oh, and around 40,000 quid (not tick).

So I could climb Everest if I wanted to - possibly - and could justify spending that much money. You could spend a decade climbing in the Andes for that I reckon...

... then the weather's awful, your window closes and you return home ever so slightly annoyed!

Mark climbed it last May for a lot less than that - with a decent guide as well. From no climbing/trekking at all to, in just six months, Aconcagua, Scottish Grade III and Everest for 30k inc buying every bit of equipment needed. £16,000 will get you up Everest with some support but you have to ask yourself, what do you really want from your mountaineering?

Spend all that and be 'just' a part of a maddening crowd? Soz, can't link in my browser but worth a look at Everest. http://j.ukc2.com/i/190023.jpg

Or spend less than £450, potter off to the less than glamorous Atlas for two weeks and set a new route on a mountain you've seen no one else on all day?

Or as Jon says - spend years exploring different and remote mountain ranges for the money you haven't spent on a trip to the highest summit on the planet? I always dreamed of climbing Everest, today I have the money and the skills but it's no longer me. Sad really.

Ultra King

Think I have met the OMer in that photo. Sure he once said it was a lot cheaper than the £30k. If he's the guy I'm thinking of it was his second attempt that he made it on and the two cost less than £30k to actually do. Could be wrong about that.

There is a company in Ambleside that actually runs expeds to climb it. Think they go from Chinese side which might be cheaper. Not my thing. Think I would put that sort of money into my house and take a cheap £2k trek (at most) instead.

Widdler
    Didn't realise how expensive it was!

Everest is a bit touristy these days, isn't it?

For 40k I'd rather go to Mt. Vinson, and maybe spent a little while in the Torres del Paine whilst I was in that part of the world.

Guess I'd better start saving now if I want to go before I turn decrepit...