Thread: Navigation and Route Planning

Hi, as alot of you already know I am quite new to this and I was just wondering what is the best way of planning routes and gathering resources.

So far I have been playing around with mobile map creator and importing gpx files I have found off the net. I have also been having a look at OS maps.

Let me know what you do...

It will vary hugely. Lots of folk like planning down to the finest detail. I don't. I tend to pick a starting point and a finishing point, and the actual route between will depend on my mood, what i see, etc.

I plan very extensively. Then don't stick to the plan.

Hi Ed, how do you plan extensively? Any software recommendations e.t.c. ?

Memory Map. Oxiexplorer. Browsers. Wikiloks. Google Earth.

‹bermensch

some of the above but also a good old fasioned os map spread on the floor works for me

As Mike says, varies a lot.

But if you're quite new then guide books are often a good bet. You tend to get good routes in them, though they tend not to be quiet routes (because they're in the guides...).

But they'll give you experience from which you can roll your own that much better.

Pete.

For the UK/Scotland: Steve Fallon, Scottish Hills. Geograph. CTs Scotland volume.

‹bermensch

If new(ish) to it, strongly suggest planning routes etc with traditional methods firstrather than relying on electronics. Trad stuff won't fail on you, and you'll gain a much better appreciation of navigation. Check out Naismith's Rule, compare yourself with that so you know how you relate to it, so you can establish what you are capable of.

Head to simple areas where the hills (or at least your intended routes thru them)are not too steep and gain experience there. Look at steep slopes around you and compare with the map. Check contour spacing, map to ground, ground to map etc. Avoid areas where escape routes are limited or very steep - you never know when you might be forced to turn back/shorten your route..

And enjoy it!

Mini Goon
    I like to spread the map out on the floor. It helps to see all options. Then plan a route with distance and height gain factored in to end up with an approximate time to finish. After that I usually just head off in the morning and do some other route entirely!
    I would agree to learn to read a map first, then get some tech stuff if you want to, and not to rely on the electrics from the outset.
    Have fun.

Easy start point - routes from Trail and so on. Transfer that to a map, adapt to suit you and your group.

I tend to use online route guides, find what I want and mark it out on my OS map in solid green highlighter. I then tend to look for alternate routes/start points/end points/bail out routes and mark them in in dotted green highlighter. Then I hit the hills, come home and mark what I actually did in yellow highlighter. ... Makes for a very trippy & psychedelic map after a few weeks. (I also have pink highlighter for good wildcamp spots I finds on the way).