Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog repellent (recommendation please)

Can anyone recommend any dog repellent product available in UK? I have only seen some products in the US.

My dad wants to get some of those to use when he get challenged by dogs in certain places in certain countries.

looking for an alternative to a stick... something small easily to carry around

thank you

thanks GOF,... so it doesn't really work. What about an ultrasonic one? Are they as useless?

My dad is a pediatrician. He is semi-retired so he sometimes volunteers to go to those places. He also likes travelling off the beaten track in small villages around Asia.

He heard that some cyclists carry one of those with them so he thought it might be more effective than a stick. My dad is a gentle person, so with a stick he can only get those dogs to step back but still follow him around waiting for him to drop his guard.

Ultra King

You can get canisters of air that you spray at dog, but as GOF says only works for a few seconds. If mutt is determined to attack it will.

I'd say thet the best bet would be Pepper Spray, that should not harm dog but will stop dog attacking for a good while and by the time it does you should be well away. The only other thing I can thing of is a Tazer, that will certainly stop dog attacking, but may also kill it. Your dad might not want to be that 'extreme'.

Maybe a pump spray filled with a bleach and vinegar solution. I used a similar mix to clean along the front of where I live to deter dogs from pissing there. It worked.

More unpleasent than painful I'd have thought ... and it's cheep cheep.

You won't be able to take anything likely to be effective on a plane so your Dad will have to buy locally. Bleach sounds like a good bet.

Mini Goon
    I use an ultrasonic "DogDazer" and it works Ok. Stopped a rampant angry German Shepherd in its tracks to my great relief. It just stopped, turned around and went off to attack someone else. Have also had to use it when being attacked by packs of dogs being looked after by so called doggy walkers. Must say though that most dogs I meet are very well behaved and friendly.

"...when he get challenged by dogs in certain places"

my first reaction is to wonder why he is or expects to be challenged attacked? If he is in a village and they are a village dog it is most likly in pack warning mode.

Knowing the difference between a territorial warning bark and truly aggressive dog intent on harm seem like the best bet... and them how to remove oneself from harm - body language speed of movement etc, would, I offer, be much more use. It may even be an advantage to know when to use an ultrasonic nice dissuader or the BIG STICK.

Sorry Bryan this isn't always true. In particular Romania and the Carpathians are notorious for this - packs of dogs there are extremely dangerous, and although I walked a lot there many years ago the dogs are the reason I haven't gone back.

I agree with you of course that learning to speak 'dog language' - mainly a physical rather than spoken language - is important - my family have always kept two working sheepdogs - always called Bruce and Shep (the names stay the same although the individual dogs come and go!).

But dangerous dogs - particularly in packs - are very dangerous indeed.

Having been attacked by dogs twice in Tibet (and elsewhere), getting bitten once, this is of interest to me. Best bet - do what the locals do, chuck stones at them. Sometimes, even just the motion of bending down as though you're picking up stones to chuck is enough to warn them off.

I've also used bangers/caps, the kind you throw at the ground so they make a banging noise.

I grew heartily sick of Romananian dogs during a bike trip once and gave one a good kicking before it could escape. Unfortunately, the Tibetan temple dog that bit me in 2010 jumped out from behind a stupa in a surprise attack - nowt you can do about that.

As above. I frequently get charged by dogs where I am. Stones are effective, like MW says often pretending to pick one up will help. I usually have a couple handy as I approach a farm just in case, and I've seen locals doing the same thing. A stick or walking pole can also help. It can be worse after dark.

If they don't get too close I usually ignore them and don't stop or make eye contact. Responding to them often ups the problem. In rural areas they should be used to people pottering past every now again and it doesn't often go beyond aggressive barking and a bit of following. Failing that it's extreme aggression in return. The stone, the stick, and if they are close enough a solid kick. Lifting your arms up and apart to make yourself look bigger and shouting very aggressively can help in my experience.

Of course this is for just one or two dogs. I would be extremely cautious of a pack, or of a very large dog of dangerous breed, and do as much as I could to completely avoid them. Lots of the dogs in the countryside are pretty low down the pecking order and are disciplined in a very physical way. They know what to expect if you pick up a stone or lift up a stick. On the flip side if you act like you're scared or run, it usually eggs them on.

Kish which part specifically is not true. I think my post encompases knowing your enemy grading your threat and appropriate action to neutralise.

Truly dangerous or just noise

Is the ' ritual' warning or moving into attack

If needed use qhatevwra need to defend/deter.

Depends on the dog, doesn't it?

In the Alps they have big notices warning people about sheep-dogs, which are those white fluffy Pyrennean beasts that look like sheep when they're hidden inside the flock. Whenever a walker spooks a flock of sheep, these dogs come running to deal with the 'threat', and the advice given on the notices is to do absolutely nothing. No shouting... no speaking... no waving arms or sticks... no throwing stones... just stand absolutely still. The idea is to wait for the dog to do all its barking malarkey, then when it gets bored it goes back to the sheep.

If anyone has any experience of police dogs, I think they do the same sort of thing. If someone is running away from the police, the dog will attack. If they stand absolutely still, the dog will do nothing. Of course, then the police will catch you then, because you're not running!

I'm sure that there are some dogs that are so viscious that only a bullet will stop them, and if you want to know how viscious the family pet can be, you only have to check how many postmen get savaged in an average working day.

Some years ago someone wrote to an outdoor magazine asking what they could do when faced by menacing dogs, and I think they specified big dogs that leap up and try and tear your throat out! They passed this letter to one of their contributors (not me), who went and asked someone in the SAS what they would do. True to form, the SAS had a method of dispatching such a dog with their bare hands, and this was duly reported in the magazine... leading to howls of protests from dog-lovers and cancellations of subscriptions! It would seem that some people would cheerfully have their throats torn out by a dog rather than cause the animal any distress!

with my own experience in Asia. The village dogs are not really that vicious unlike guard dogs. Trying to look like a dominant male, physical gesture or ignoring them usually work but I wouldn't feel easy and tended to leave the area quickly, which is ashamed because I wouldn't get to explore the area fully.

The way people keep/treat dogs in Asia is not the same as in the West. When I am in Asia I have another method that works for me and gives a permanent peace of mind. It is trying to make friends with them. No kidding, I usually have a bit of meat at hand, to offer to those dogs. It can work wonder and next thing I know I have those dogs as local guides and bodyguards.(I am a dog person.)

As you said, not all dogs are the same. I have been charged by a big pack of stay dogs. Nothing deterred them. I had to grab a bike and jumped on the saddle and they managed to bite my ankle. Two guys I know got circled by dogs and of course couldn't make their way out and got bitten until rescued.

Once I got out a car with my colleague. He immediately got bitten in the bum badly by a large dog sneaked up behind him out of nowhere and without a sound. I turned around and shooed it away, just like that.

Anyway,... my dad is tiny. Only a poodle would believe he is a dominant male.

-Tazer my dad would be heart broken if he kills a dog. No, he is not one of those 'people who would cheerfully have their throats torn out by a dog rather than cause the animal any distress!' He's much more sensible than that.

-Pepper spray, I tested sprayed it once and it got on my hand(stupid, I know). It was SO painful. It last for weeks especially around the edge of fingernails.

-Bleach&vinegar, I like the sound of that, Sambo

-DogDazer, I might get one of those for my dad to try

-bangers/caps, definitely easily find locally in Asia

I will pass these info on to my dad.

When he's in those villages, he's there for a while. So he's looking for something that will help him establish his rank among those dog so they respect him. He doesn't want to have to keep dealing with them everytime.

just saw the prize of a DogDazer £37.95 !!!

-Bleach&vinegar, I like the sound of that, Sambo

And if it didn't work it could be used to sterilize the bites!

Ultra King

Paddy,

Is the M O D reply the "chiken wing" ?

Or some of the other ones?

--Bleach&vinegar, I like the sound of that, Sambo

-And if it didn't work it could be used to sterilize the bites!

Now you make me doubt

Quote Originally Posted by huskyman View Post

Paddy,

Is the M O D reply the "chiken wing" ?

Or some of the other ones?
    Dunno what the technical term was... but it involved violently ripping the dog's front legs apart... which is only an option when the dog is very big, has its legs raised on your shoulders, face to face with you... and is 0.5 seconds from tearing your throat out. At that stage, there isn't much point trying to engage the dog in any kind of reasoned argument about human rights versus animal rights!

Mini Goon
    One of my walking friends has a a dog dazer. She points it at the dog, it presumably makes some noise we cannot hear but fido can. All dogs turn away - so far. I just hope she checks the battery occasionally!