Thread: the cheviots

Widdler
    I would like to start exploring the cheviots. Just some smallish circulars to start leading to a few overnight stops later when I get to know the area. I will be travelling from south shields. I will be going on my own. So would like some tips on some good starter routes.
    Tia

I've do quite a bit of walking in the area, I'll have a bit of a dig around and see if I can come up with some inspiration, for starts do a round of the Simonside ridge just outside rothbury not a massive walk but with impressive view north to the cheviots proper and east to the coast.

Widdler
    Thanks for the reply, any tips for where to park/start for the Simon side ridge.

You could do worse than start with The Cheviot itself, an easy pleasant afternoon's walk up from Leelangford then on to the Pennine Way and back down the Harthope Burn valley via Leelangfordhope. The startpoint (room to park a car) is NT551222. There's an account here

There's a car park picnic area grid 037 997 just outside Great Tosson and it's marked on most maps if you walk up through the forestry block and head up Simonside hill then east along the ridge to dove crag and drop down back to the car park, its quite a popular route with lots of options to extend or shorten if you google Simonside hills there's quite a bit out there.

Done this walk a few times and all ways enjoyed it

I have to agree with the sceptical one about the cheviot though the hart hope burn can be a bit of a slog if there been a lot of rain, there a nice sarny stop at scotsmans gap just down from the summit in a sheep fold if the weather turns a bit grotty

Ditto the Simonside recommendation. As for the Cheviot, I've managed it in daylight hours even in the middle of winter, there-and-back from Kirk Yetholm. You could attempt a shorter walk using the main and alternative routes of the Pennine Way to make a pleasant half-day out of the Halterburn valley and White Law. Another short, easy-to-reach circuit could be made over Kenterdale Hill outside Wooler. Alwinton is handy for short hill walks, as are most places with road access in that area. However, the real fun starts when the roads finish and there's nothing but empty rolling hills ahead!

Widdler
    A huge thanks for all the replies and tips for trips,

Another walk well worth doing in the Cheviot area is Hedgehope Hill. Use the same car park as for Cheviot above (I think you better check the grid ref for that because I make it NT954225) at the end of the Harthope Valley road.

Head up to the crags above (Howsey Crags) and onwards to Hedgehope. To make it a circular drop down to the valley heading for Harthope Linn waterfall then back along the valley path.

It's about a five mile walk, if you're after more or longer then there's a good website at Cheviot Walks.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG View Post

Another walk well worth doing in the Cheviot area is Hedgehope Hill. Use the same car park as for Cheviot above (I think you better check the grid ref for that because I make it NT954225) at the end of the Harthope Valley road.
    My apologies - I must've mistyped the grid ref in my post (above). As SteveG says the car-parking area is at NT954225. However, IIRC, there are several places along the lane where you can safely park.

Hedgehope looks good, I agree - it has a much more distinct summit than The Cheviot and it lies on the opposite side of the valley. You should be able to make it a round by following the public footpath south-west from the summit of Hedgehope Hill to Combe Fell then roughly north-west across the head of the valley to Cairn Hill where you can pick up the track that links the Pennine Way to the summit of The Cheviot before returning to the carpark via Scald Hill.

Widdler
    Cheers for the replies, now just need to find someone daft enough to go walking with me.
    Was hoping to get out this Sunday, but looks like I may be called into work bugger,.

The Upper Coquetdale is beautiful.
    The Barrowburn to Windy Gyle Circular is a fab walk. Barrowburn - follow Border County ride - Ward Law - Windy Gyle - Plea Knowe - Swineside Law - Barrowburn.
    Stunning countryside and apart from the short stretch along the Pennine Way you'll probably be alone all day.

I agree with JustinM - great walks from Barrowburn to Windy Gyle - you can vary the length by the routes you take. One of my favourites. Good walks from Alwinton as well.

You can also do a good walk from Hethpool - St Cuthberts Way - Pennine Way over the top of the Shill and back up College Valley - ashamed to say not done it myself yet but it has been recommended to me.

Plenty of books with walks in or look at www.shepherdswalks.co.uk (I've nothing to do with that company personally other than being a customer) - has several walks in the Cheviots, the Hethpool one and ones from Alwinton, Barrowburn as well.

Hi try this site.

http://www.cheviotwalks.co.uk/

Widdler
    Cheers

Mini Goon
    In my opinion wait for the ground to freeze up. Its the only time I walk in the Cheviots. It makes it enjoyable

I second that... my best walks in the Cheviots have been in sub-zero temperatures.

Widdler
    The way work is going I may have to, talk about one extreme to another

Mini Goon

Alan

If you are up there in the winter have a trip up Hedgehope hill (heejup). The view from there on a clear freezing winters day is awesome. Right into Scotland,to the northumbrian coast and right down to Tyneside.

For my money in the right conditions the best hill in the Cheviots.

I was last up there two winters ago and actually had to turn back as the snow was about 3 feet deep and too soft to walk in!

Widdler
    I prefer the colder weather so will def be going in the winter.